Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K & N Typhoon Induction System

seolio

As promised to VVC MATT, pics of my K&N Typhoon. The first of many mods to my IS300! Amazing sound now.

Yes, it is blue on a black car, but it was either pay £270 for a chrome or black kit or pay £140 for a blue one :) I can always re-coat it, but I think it looks ok as it is, brightens up the engine bay.

kandn-1.jpg

kandn-2.jpg

Nick

Nick - as far as I know that's the ver.1 typhoon - that has been discontinued due to a fault (the bracket connecting the pipe to the chasis shears away with vibrations)

Search here for typhoon to see many stories of this happening. (jiberjaber, scarface, mike morse and more)

ver.2 is a chrome pipe which comes with a heat shield and a more flexible (not welded) bracket.

Keep an eye out for the bracket shearing and if you have a receipt contact K&N as they should be able to sort you with a free replacement.

EDIT - here's a thread from 2005 with details.

Ok, not that you would want to know now hando has said it is the v1 (thanx btw), but I got it from a guy on eBay...he bought it a while back and has been sitting in his garage after writing off his IS300. Never been used, which is why I got it so cheap. There are various other ones exactly the same on eBay. I was aware that the V1 had problems after reading on here but a lot of the eBay ads, including the one for this kit do not have the version listed and stupidly I didn't ask. Rushed into it!

Oh well, if it breaks I will see if K&N will replace it, if not I can always redesign it and put a new one on.

I have seen the version 2 offered in blue/red/chrome/black though, with the heat shield on. I was going to make my own heat shield up for this one soon too.

A bit annoyed now, but I've got it and now have to wait for it to break, lol

As for the sound.....Amazing difference, I will record it when I get a minute and upload it but it will do it no justice as the sound is always so muffled on my recordings :blink: you have to hear it in the flesh to appreciate the difference.

Cheers

Nick

Looks good mate,

you could do with a shield over the exhaust manifold though.

That is a good point. Where would I get one from or would I have to make one?

Cheers

Looks good mate,

you could do with a shield over the exhaust manifold though.

I'm going to make a heat-shield for mine, I already have the Stainless steel. I got it from B&Q, if you search around any friendly store you will find some kitchen rejects( or spares). I bought a whole chimney for a cooker hood for a £10 in Stainless steel. There's more than enough for a heat shield. Its Polished on one side and Brushed on the other. :driving:

Hi everyone,

Im a new member. Im hoping to start upgrading my IS200 soon but wont be spending mad money. I was wondering would anyone recommend an induction kit for the IS200? Seems good on the 300. If so does anyone know roughly hom much BHP is gives ( if any ). You've probably answered this question a thousand times before :blush:

Any other recomendations for a beginner ( I think would be the appropriate word ) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu.

Im a new member. Im hoping to start upgrading my IS200 soon but wont be spending mad money. I was wondering would anyone recommend an induction kit for the IS200? Seems good on the 300. If so does anyone know roughly hom much BHP is gives ( if any ). You've probably answered this question a thousand times before :blush:

Any other recomendations for a beginner ( I think would be the appropriate word ) would be much appreciated.

Welcome Stu :D

Might be best to start off a new thread on this, so people here can more easily spot your question. You can use the "New Topic" button to start a new thread.

An induction kit won't make much difference to bhp, if at all, the OEM induction is pretty good. I've put a K&N panel filter in my OEM induction, which is more free-flowing (as well as lasting longer), which improves mpg very slightly and slightly changes the engine note.

Induction kits make a nice noise and look good under the bonnet, IMHO that's their main benefit. The Prolex one does seem to be quite well-rated, in that it routes the induction away from the hot exhaust manifold (quite a few kits run the induction right over the manifold, which will be counterproductive since that will heat up the intake air). The Prolex one is here.

Aztecbandit1 has made some great postings about how to make your own induction kit, try using the search button and looking for "induction".

The primary recommendation for me would be to get your car's geometry set up properly, the OEM setup results in a lot of premature tyre wear and poor handling. Since you're in Ireland, a trip to Wheels in Motion to sort this out probably isn't on, but other members in Ireland might be able to help recommend a place to get this done. Also, if you join LOC as a Gold member then Tony Bones at LOC can help make sure it gets done properly to the correct settings.

An HID upgrade kit is relatively cheap these days (approx £50 off eBay) and is a great mod.

Lots of other things you can do of course, depends if you want to alter the looks, handling, performance (but that typically costs lots of £££££ !) etc.

Welcome Stu :D

Might be best to start off a new thread on this, so people here can more easily spot your question. You can use the "New Topic" button to start a new thread.

An induction kit won't make much difference to bhp, if at all, the OEM induction is pretty good. I've put a K&N panel filter in my OEM induction, which is more free-flowing (as well as lasting longer), which improves mpg very slightly and slightly changes the engine note.

Induction kits make a nice noise and look good under the bonnet, IMHO that's their main benefit. The Prolex one does seem to be quite well-rated, in that it routes the induction away from the hot exhaust manifold (quite a few kits run the induction right over the manifold, which will be counterproductive since that will heat up the intake air). The Prolex one is here.

Aztecbandit1 has made some great postings about how to make your own induction kit, try using the search button and looking for "induction".

The primary recommendation for me would be to get your car's geometry set up properly, the OEM setup results in a lot of premature tyre wear and poor handling. Since you're in Ireland, a trip to Wheels in Motion to sort this out probably isn't on, but other members in Ireland might be able to help recommend a place to get this done. Also, if you join LOC as a Gold member then Tony Bones at LOC can help make sure it gets done properly to the correct settings.

An HID upgrade kit is relatively cheap these days (approx £50 off eBay) and is a great mod.

Lots of other things you can do of course, depends if you want to alter the looks, handling, performance (but that typically costs lots of £££££ !) etc.

Great advice mate, thanks for the reply :D

I think for the moment im going to sort out a few cosmetic items first, ive a guy coming to look at my wheels today to see about getting them refurbished. Then i'd like to get a few extra BHP out of her, nothing insane, an extra 20 would keep me happy for a while.

Ill start a new thread in future, nice one.

Stu.