Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Mintex Front Discs & Pads

Cous3

So as it was a nice day I thought I'd make a start on changing my discs & pads. I bought a full set of Mintex discs & pads a few weeks back and decided to do the fronts today, here's a few pics:

The original OEM old disc, worn a fair bit, you can't see from this angle but there is quite a lip around the edge:

361281317.jpg

Once the wheel is off it's really only a matter of removing four bolts. 2 bolts hold the Brake Caliper in place and 2 hold the Brake Caliper Carrier in place.

**Note** I struggled for 20 mins to loosen the Caliper Carrier bolts, then realised if I turned the steering wheel it allowed me more access to get an extension bar onto the socket,

and made it a piece of cake to remove.

361282555.jpg

Brake Caliper removed and tied up out of the way, just the Caliper Carrier to remove now.

361281340.jpg

New disc in place (you just tap the old disc off), Brake Caliper Carrier bolted back on.

361281338.jpg

Off Side front disc all done.

361281332.jpg

Onto the other side and do the same. This is the new disc & pads in place before the Brake Caliper is

dropped back in place, Copper Ease grease on the back of the pads and pistons.

361281323.jpg

Near Side disc all done.

361282556.jpg

I had used Smooth Black Hammerite on the disc hubs a few weeks before hand, shame you only see a very small lip when the wheel is back on,

but it does make the wheel look smart.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

So far I'd say the Mintex disc & pads seem to have reduced the amount of dust on the wheels. They have bedded in well now and feel great, I should be getting the rears done when I get my service next week (don't worry it's a mate who works for Lexus :winky: ) otherwise I'd be doing it myself.

363132063.jpg

Keith

I'd like to do the brake hoses, but it's a bugger that there are two types.......and my IS is a late November 01, it's the upgrade version so I guess I need the S type but I'm really not sure. Did anyone work out how to tell which type are needed by looking at the nut on one end?

Keith

I'm 99% sure you will need the D-type connectors Keith, as supplied on the Goodridge brake lines. See Carles's post here. The picture makes it look like there is groove across the nut connecting the OEM lines into the car for the earlier S-type connectors, though I haven't verified this on my own car (but have no reason to doubt it).

It seems that edeath and Asi have successfully installed Goodridge lines with the D-type connector on 2001 cars.

Okay cheers Steve...........I don't think the eBay sellers have a bloody clue what they are selling, even the Goodridge ones are not specific for the year, seems a bit hit or miss to me.

Well the front Mintex discs & pads have been on for a month now and feel good. However, I'll have to take the wheels off and get the Hammerite out again as I've noticed rust appearing on the outter edges of the double disc, and a very narrow line just off the hub on the disc where the pads don't touch. Yeah know it's a bit OTT but it'll drive me mad, seeing my nice shiny discs with rust on the edges.........maybe a job for next week.

Keith

quick question regarding the mintex pads - on the website it shows a small clip on the edge/back of the pad - do this normal Lexus pads have these too - or can/should they be removed from the Mintex ones?

Also, can I confirm the correct pads from Mintex are MDB1708's?

Yes mate the Mintex ones will have the retaining spring clip on them ...just dont cut them of...the calliper should already have some fitted also

Mintex MDB1708's i think are the right ones....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links