Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Need Help With This

Saraj

Hi, just need help,

Currently My double power socket is serving the following:

the right socket is for the SKy+

the left socket as an 6 socket surge protection extension, which has 4 used for the tv, virgin, and wireless adaptor.

Now the problem i keep having is, when i switch the extension on or switch the sky on, fuzzing sounds start and everything on the sockets go off.

i have to switch them off, and then switch on and its ok then.

whats causing this? dodgy socket? too much power from a double socket?

its getting annoying and worried about it damaging my 42inch tv. !!

thanks in advance

Personally I'd be very uncomfortable with that to be honest and would not really use the sockets until you check it out. I'd definitely take the socket off the wall (after turning the power off at the mains of course) and check to see if all the wires are in properly. I'd probably also try replacing the socket if all looks well.

I'm no electrician mind so I may be talking rubbish and would recommend consulting one, but to me buzzing from a socket starts ringing alarm bells that there's a loose connection somewhere.

yh will do tomorrow, its strange cause the socket is secure thats the first thing i checked and only happens sometimes, most of the time you switch everything on and its fine. thanks for the advice

You don't say where the buzzing is coming from... if it's from the socket on the wall, then it's probably a poor connection in it, and when you draw too much current through it, the tiny contact area (instead of a good, solid screwed in connection) starts to arc. That's definitely the first thing to check.

None of that stuff should draw a great deal of power, though, so it's unlikely you're actually overloading it, just drawing too much for a poor contact.

Unplug the extension lead and try plugging the things running off it into the wall socket one after another to see if you get the buzzing with any of them. If no buzzing it is then almost certainly your extension lead. Also swap sides...ie Sky to left socket and extension to right. It does sound as if extension is detecting a surge and maybe cutting out instead of correcting.