Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Suddenly Stopped

Been a long time since I was on here last...

Need some helpplease. Went to start the car this morning, turned the key and the engine started as normal. After no more than 2 seconds it stopped and now won't restart.

I was running late for work so had to jump in the old 4x4.

Anything I should check when I get home later?

Been a long time since I was on here last...

Need some helpplease. Went to start the car this morning, turned the key and the engine started as normal. After no more than 2 seconds it stopped and now won't restart.

I was running late for work so had to jump in the old 4x4.

Anything I should check when I get home later?

You turn the key and ????? engine turns over and will not start ???? turn key and nothing ???

The only time something like that happened me (not a Lexus) was when a lead from the Battery broke and the engine suddenly stopped - would have thought if it was lack of petrol it might splutter to a stall - only my thoughts.

The engine turns over ok, just doesn't fire.

The cam belt is due for a change in a couple of thousand miles (100k). Hope it's not that. I'll take off the cover tonight and look inside. If that's ok then anywhere else to look. It souded like it ran out of fuel. It just slowly died, no mechanical noises.

Quick update.

I removed the top cam-belt cover when I got home- all ok. Belt present and correct, properly tensioned. In fact I turned the engine over a couple of times with a socket on the camshaft nut and all is well.

Tried to start it again, the engine turns normally (you hear when each piston hits TDC as the cranking speed momentarily slows) but it doesn't fire.

You can smell petrol in the exhaust so it looks like the ignition has failed.

So what next. I'm an old time mechanic who doesn't understand engines without a distributor (got out of thr trade before this electronic gubbins came in).

So has the ignition fairy left home? or is it a simple case of a blown fuse? If so where might it be. The handbook is no use.

Any ideas anyone? Or recommend a good garage near Crawley/East Grinstead/ Gatwick.

Thanks for all your replies-

The car is now running :D

I think I may have caused this myself..... On Saturday I moved the car 20' (from a cold start) to another place in the drive to allow access, and 'blipped' the throttle then turned it off. Total engine run time from cold? 30 secs max.

I seem to recall reading that this is a very BAD thing to do as it cokes up sensors in the exhaust.

So a little while ago, having re-run in my mind what I did previously, I went back to the car and cranked the engine with my foot hard on the throttle. (old fashioned way to clear a flooded engine) and guess what, after a few seconds cranking the old girl coughed a couple of times then roared into life. To celebrate we went for a little drive- no problems, sweet as a nut.

I think the fairies have come back home..... :rolleyes:

Glad it's nothing serious. Sounds a bit like the starting problems a few of us sometimes have. Happens rarely, but the cause is unknown!

OMG could it happen again??

Caused a few panics at chez tonyT I can tell you. Thank heavens for an old ('91) Pajero !!

(am I allowed to say Pajero here :ohmy: )

I flooded my engine once doing the same thing. All i did was drive the car a few meters so i can get the calipers to clean them without the 5 spokes in the way and next morning i couldn't get it started, but after some turning and white smoke it started lol.

tonyT, what Paradroid is refering to is when the car takes like 2-3 turns of the engine to crank it to start, not caused by flooding, reason unknown. Happens at any time, hot, cold, uphills, downhills. Theres no pattern to when it happens, it just happens. Don't think anyone will know the real solution to this one.

tonyT, what Paradroid is refering to is when the car takes like 2-3 turns of the engine to crank it to start, not caused by flooding, reason unknown. Happens at any time, hot, cold, uphills, downhills. Theres no pattern to when it happens, it just happens. Don't think anyone will know the real solution to this one.

Some of us have found changing to Denso IK20 Sparkplugs fixed this problem. Happens very rarely now.

(am I allowed to say Pajero here )

No! I got hit by one after only owning my car for 4 days! :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links