Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not done a tutorial myself on this, but this IS bottom ball joint procedure is the same as the GS. clicky. Might be worth trying to do it without removing the ABS sensor, they can be a bit fragile.

I reckon you are more likely to damage the ABS sensor wire if you leave it in. There is not a lot of slack to play with.

Yeah, there is not a lot of slack. Although the wire is clamped to various places on the upper wish bone etc (on the GS, not sure about the IS). You can make more slack, and disconnect it at the inner wing if need be. I guess it is a personal call on whoever is doing the job, I did not need to remove mine to do the top wishbones, and have heard of people having issues with the ABS after the sensor being removed for the job by garages. Undo it, if it comes out easy, then all is good, if it is stuck, I wouldn't try and get it out personally.

I reckon you are more likely to damage the ABS sensor wire if you leave it in. There is not a lot of slack to play with.

Yeah, there is not a lot of slack. Although the wire is clamped to various places on the upper wish bone etc (on the GS, not sure about the IS). You can make more slack, and disconnect it at the inner wing if need be. I guess it is a personal call on whoever is doing the job, I did not need to remove mine to do the top wishbones, and have heard of people having issues with the ABS after the sensor being removed for the job by garages. Undo it, if it comes out easy, then all is good, if it is stuck, I wouldn't try and get it out personally.

Thanks Guy's. I will attempt this this weekend on my Mk1 GS.

Phil

Yeah, there is not a lot of slack. Although the wire is clamped to various places on the upper wish bone etc (on the GS, not sure about the IS).

If you look at the fourth pic you can see the wire clamped to the damper it then passes though the inner arch on the IS.

IIRC the faults that have been reported on here after suspension work have been damage to the ABS sensor wire not the actual sensor. These were probably due to not removing the sensor and the wire getting strained. Personally I have not had any major problems getting the sensors out and I have now replaced 4 bottom ball joints with no sensor faults afterwards.

As you say mate it's a personal call but I would defo remove the sensor.

Yeah, there is not a lot of slack. Although the wire is clamped to various places on the upper wish bone etc (on the GS, not sure about the IS).

If you look at the fourth pic you can see the wire clamped to the damper it then passes though the inner arch on the IS.

IIRC the faults that have been reported on here after suspension work have been damage to the ABS sensor wire not the actual sensor. These were probably due to not removing the sensor and the wire getting strained. Personally I have not had any major problems getting the sensors out and I have now replaced 4 bottom ball joints with no sensor faults afterwards.

As you say mate it's a personal call but I would defo remove the sensor.

I will remove the sensor - lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links