Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres

hi all just a quick post my tyres are nearly due for changing, any suggestions on brand makes?

was fancying toyo's as there a soft compound so hopefully no noise (not like the one's i have now lol sound like all 4 wheelbearings are knackered just cheapy tyres!!!!!) :whistling: standard is 200 alloys 215/45r17

Check out Vredestien Ultrac's, not the cheapest but they're optimised for wet weather which I like the idea of on a RWD car. I've had them on my car since August and am really pleased.

Vredestein recommend 38psi with their tyres for the IS200 (yes they recommend pressures for lots of cars!), I was a bit apprehensive about doing this, but it's really firmed up the ride and improved the handling massively from when I got the car - when it was running 34psi on cheap & nasty Semperit tyres.

Currently the overall best tyres are:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric

Verdestein Ultrac Sessanta

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

based on overall magazine reviews and forums.

The BMW owners really rate the Falken FK-452 tyres too. They are much cheaper then the brands previously mentioned yet offer almost similar performance. :)

I use Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. I have no complaints about them and alot of people on here use them, not a bad price either.HERE. But depends on what you would regard as good tyres and how you drive. For normal everyday use these are good tyres. They have a mean looking tread, never in my whole life has some complete stranger come up and say "i like ur tyres" lol.

tyres.jpg

Got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on front and GDS2's on rear and loving them!

They seem to be lasting much longer than OEM Bridgestone RE040's (14k). GDS3's only half worn with 16k on them. GDS2's 3/4 worn with same mileage.

Wouldn't mind hearing about GSD3's asymetric durability

I've got Marangoni Mythos all round and they're probably the best tyres I've rolled on. Tonnes of grip, slow wearing, and they're made / designed, apparently for performance sedans.

I had Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on prior to that, also a good tyre but the wear rate wasn't great and wet grip was none existent.

A tyre to avoid from my experience would be avon ZZ3's. They were shocking. No grip wet or dry, had the wear rate of an eraser, picked up punctures for fun and if it was a serious puncture split apart and catch fire.

I have some new Falken FK-452's on mine recently, and am very impressed with the levels of grip wet or dry,

the price is also very good IMO.

Just a slight reservation whilst braking on very uneven surfaces the car tries to follow the imperfections

rather than track straight. This is only happens on very poor roads, they perform flawlessly otherwise.

This may just mean the car is due another check up @ WIM :unsure:

I have some new Falken FK-452's on mine recently, and am very impressed with the levels of grip wet or dry,

the price is also very good IMO.

Just a slight reservation whilst braking on very uneven surfaces the car tries to follow the imperfections

rather than track straight. This is only happens on very poor roads, they perform flawlessly otherwise.

This may just mean the car is due another check up @ WIM :unsure:

ahh!!

i thought it was just me!! i now know im not alone...

Have the tyres themselves made that difference wozza? I've noticed on moving to 18s that the car follows the road more than before but there was no difference between the tyres that were on there before (pilot sports I think) and the goodyears I have on now.

Not sure if I've got this the right way round, but maybe the falkens have much stiffer sidewalls than the tyres you had previously so are not flexing as much when the road isn't perfect.

Only have good things to say about the F1 asymmetrics still, not sure about wear as I haven't done too many miles on them, but in terms of grip and road noise they've been outstanding. I've also noticed the front tyres now bite much better if you chuck the car into a roundabout although that could be due to various different factors.

Another recommendation for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics.

Have done 6000 miles on them (since fitted in Nov 2008)- they are wearing evenly and almost look new (in terms of how much tread is left).

Best tyre I have used to date- they stick to corners and roundabouts like :tsktsk:

I had 4 F1A's fitted in November from Blackcircles, cost me £93 a tyre (215/45/17, after applying various promo/discount codes). Last time I checked, F1A's were being sold by Blackcircles for £110 each.

Consensus seems to be that for VFM the Falkens win. If you have cash, then the F1's win. Bear in mind though that if you pick up a puncture on the shoulder then it's a very expensive replacement it it's an F1.

hi all, i am also running the vredestein ultracs they seem like excellent tyres but the sidewalls seem alot softer than my old bridgestones. i'm only running them on 35 psi, i just checked vredesteins website and they recommend 42psi for the fronts and 45psi for the rear, seems really high! may try these pressures to stiffen the side walls on the tyres.

I recently put GSD3s on the rear based on Which? reviews and tyre review web sites (sad). The Michelin SP2s came out slightly better but were double the price.

Got the Goodyears for £126 each fitted (245x40 R18). They seem fine, much better than the Dunlops that I took off. Interestingly, no Dunlops did well in the Which? guide.

Malc

hi all, i am also running the vredestein ultracs they seem like excellent tyres but the sidewalls seem alot softer than my old bridgestones. i'm only running them on 35 psi, i just checked vredesteins website and they recommend 42psi for the fronts and 45psi for the rear, seems really high! may try these pressures to stiffen the side walls on the tyres.

When I checked the web site it said 38psi.

I run that front and back, and they work well. I think if you went higher the ride quality would really suffer, it's quite firm on my car at 38psi compared to what it was like on other tyres at standard pressures.

i put 39 psi in the tyres and can say the steering feed back and drive has improved greatly, may be the vredestein tyres are designed to take a higher psi. just been searching other forums and it seems a lot of people are wondering why the higher psi but end up increasing their tyre pressure to manufacturers spec. i'll keep an eye on wear though !