Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sport Grill Install

Hi all,

I recieved my Sports grill from Lexus Birmingham (off eBay) today. This is where it started to go a wrong.

I started removing the original grill from the car. The middle screw come out without any hassle and then the evil plastic screw / clip things, which took me about 10 minutes either side to get out and I managed to break one :tsktsk:

I finally managed to remove the original grill and started the next task of repositioning the horns. I did not get too far with this as the M6 bolt I was using to secure the horns to the crash bar, just would not tighten up enough and there was too much movement for my liking, so they have moved back to their original position.

I eventually got to installing the Sports grill. I put into position and started securing the fixings. The middle screw went in easily and then started on evil plastic screw / clip things and now I have broken the other side :tsktsk:

The Sports grill is installed, but it is not secure on either of the top corners. Any ideas where I can get some screw / clip things?

On a positive note, the car look a lot better with the Sports grill.

Sounds like your M6 bolt for the horn repositioning might have been too long.

As for the grille, I wonder if you were trying the wrong way to remove these clips ? You just need to turn then slightly, then they pop up and you pull them straight out. To reattach them you just push them in, shouldn't break at all.

The only thing that I found tricky on the sports grille is getting the bottom edge of it to engage properly, since you need to pull up on the existing plastic bits while you slide the grille in at the bottom, and there's not much room to get your hand down there. You can install it without doing this but it won't be attached properly.

I can give you a hand if you like, since you're not too far from me. I imagine you can get some replacement clips from Toyota/Lexus.

I must have been doing something wrong, as everyone else seems to be able to do within a few minutes.

I do not know whether there was something wrong with the clips on the sides of the grill, as I turned them and they popped out, but would not come out the hole, whereas the the similar clips next to headlights come out and installed with ease. It was as like the the release pin was not closing the lower part of the clip to allow to reduce in size for removal - I may just be making excuses now, as I feel a bit silly.

I will go Lexus to and see with they have the clips.

Steve - I may have to take you up on that offer.

may i ask why u needed to reposition the horns? also the clips will be more fiddly if for any reason the holes on the bumper and grille weren't perfectly lined up, I broke 2 of mine too

Rory - IMHO it looks a lot better if you do reposition the horns, I did a walkthrough on how to do this. I found the horns quite ugly and spoiled the look of the grille to me. Of course, it's all down to personal preference, e.g. some members have painted their horns to make them look smarter and have left them in permission.

Alam - no problem whatsoever if you want me to help you with this, I'd be quite happy to do so. PM me if you want to arrange something.

The part number for the clips for later cars (e.g. IS300) is 52117-53010, and for very early cars is 90467-08150. A Toyota/Lexus dealer should be able to confirm this. They cost approx 90p each.

I bolted mine on it's abit fiddley but alot more secure still only took me 5-10mins, are the plastic clips things the same as the ones on the bootlid liner? just take a couple off that and use those for now but you should be able to get some from any motor factors :D

Rory - IMHO it looks a lot better if you do reposition the horns, I did a walkthrough on how to do this. I found the horns quite ugly and spoiled the look of the grille to me. Of course, it's all down to personal preference, e.g. some members have painted their horns to make them look smarter and have left them in permission.

Alam - no problem whatsoever if you want me to help you with this, I'd be quite happy to do so. PM me if you want to arrange something.

The part number for the clips for later cars (e.g. IS300) is 52117-53010, and for very early cars is 90467-08150. A Toyota/Lexus dealer should be able to confirm this. They cost approx 90p each.

Ah I never realised they were that visible

i'd like to reposition my horns into the passenger head rest so the other half learns her lesson beeping when i'm driving and trying to remain calm in the face of other road users lol

i'd like to reposition my horns into the passenger head rest so the other half learns her lesson beeping when i'm driving and trying to remain calm in the face of other road users lol

268.gif

Can someone please clear something up for me?

Did the sport come with a different grille? And is it poss to post pics of the different grilles......

My "Sport" is already missing a chrome exhaust....dont say i have the wrong grille to?

Did the sport come with a different grille? And is it poss to post pics of the different grilles......

My "Sport" is already missing a chrome exhaust....dont say i have the wrong grille to?

My sig, that's a sport grille, it has a black mesh backing with the L logo in the middle and a small badge saying sport on it aswel, it can be de-badged tho look @ Asi's avatar.

All IS200 derivatives came with a standard factory grille, the sport grill was an accessory option regardless of model

There are a few different grilles. The Sport one was an accessory option, as Chris said. But there was a very slight different in the factory grille between earlier cars and later models. There was a special grille also for the late "LE" models, with horizontal bars across it.

Billnick, what year is your car ? All later models came with a standard chromed rear pipe, which often can look very dirty but polishrd up nice and shiny. I think that some early Sports did come with an add-on chrome piece, which I think you're referring to.

Thanks for the advice people...

My motor is 51 plate 2001. Its def not a dirty chrome, simply a rotted standard tailpipe. Gonna get a powerflow tip welded on as close to the std chrome tip as I can. Hopefully my box is in good nick, no point welding on a tip if i will need a new box soon.

As for the grill, I need to have some stone chipping seen to at the front so I might try and source a sport grille...they look quite nice seen as mine is a "sport" spec also. (I currently have the later 3 bar OEM grille).