Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Little Rattle Going Over Bumps- Any Common Known Cause?

Hi, Love my "new"LS, (92) I'm busy fixing bits and pieces, new air filter fitted today (There wasn't one in there, which isn't the best, but the engine doesn't seem to have come to any harm )

It drives beautifullly, but for an annoying little rattle when going over road bumps, which detracts from the general majestic progress these cars make.

Seems to be coming from the lower dash, around the coin holder area. These things can be a bugger to track down, so I was wondering if there is anything known to cause this?

cool, a fellow LS owner not too far from me..lol

Are you sure the noise is from inside the car?

Hi Ruud, I'm in the West End of Glasgow.

I guess I need to hang out the window on a bumpy road

The west end is not far at all

I have a rattling/knocking noise as well when going over bumps and that is caused by play on my driver's side ball joint. 1 thing to tackle in the near future :)

Common causes are brake pad rattle ( check all shims and springs are fitted and lubricated), upper wishbone bushes, lower balljoints, anti roll bar bushes.

As there was no airfilter fitted check to make sure no debris has been sucked into the AFM.

Hi, just a thought if its inside the car, sometimes over bumps my keys rattle a bit lol. have a few on there and these cars are so quiet it does stand out.

cheers steve

Common causes are brake pad rattle ( check all shims and springs are fitted and lubricated), upper wishbone bushes, lower balljoints, anti roll bar bushes.

As there was no airfilter fitted check to make sure no debris has been sucked into the AFM.

There was a good summer's worth of bugs in that metal matrix thingie next to the AFM, I blew it out gently with an air line

I do get a clunk going over a bump on full lock, just got the car, so haven't investigated underneath yet.

So far I have resealed the gas manifold ( lpg ) cleaned the AFM and fittted a filter. Pulls a bit better and even smoother now, still to fix the fast tickover- just under 1000- and I suspect my light brown transmision fluid needs changing

Hi, just a thought if its inside the car, sometimes over bumps my keys rattle a bit lol. have a few on there and these cars are so quiet it does stand out.

cheers steve

It is that kind of noise, a light rattle- not my keys, though. You wouldn't notice it in an "ordinary" car

I found the plastic covers in the glove box covering the air filter were rattling so I put a spot of blue tack on there to stop it. The first aid box under the pass seat rattled too.

I do still have the worst rattle that I eventually traced to the inside roof slide cover. It stops when I push up on the slider but I can't figure how to quieten it

I found the plastic covers in the glove box covering the air filter were rattling so I put a spot of blue tack on there to stop it. The first aid box under the pass seat rattled too.

I do still have the worst rattle that I eventually traced to the inside roof slide cover. It stops when I push up on the slider but I can't figure how to quieten it

There's a first aid box under the passemger seat ?

My rattle seems to be from the coin holder area, but I have a worse problem at the moment- engine suddenly runing rough and no power- and red hot glowing cats under the car!