Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turbo-charging Is200

I was out in my mates Impreza Type R tonight and it really made me realise how much i miss boost !

Although not enough to part with the Lex as its my baby i love rolling VIP ,

So the question is and i understand it wouldnt be a cheap thing to do , i notice a lot of people to do this are transplanting engines from other cars what engines MR2 tubbys , Celica GTfours am i correct ?

Where would you get such things as custom manifolds etc for an IS200 or is there ANY off the shelf kits available ?

If anyone has doen this (im sure there is plenty) could you please let me know a general roundabout price i would be looking at for

A. a custom turbo setup on IS200

B. an engine conversion out of something else (bear in mind i could get my hands on an MR2 turbo engine(if thats whats needed) for much much cheapness ....

Now im not talking about doing this right now , but through my job im going to be earning a lot more from next month onwards and my outgoings are going to be a lot less , i also wont need to use the lexus so i will be able to take it off the road for a while to have a good play around with ....

Any Help Very Very Much Appreciated .......abbott :D

yea SC is good, but!! once you get use to 200BHP and i can tell you it dont take long befor you want more power, so i would say stay away from SC as theres only so much power you can get from it, if you can and like you have said ( the time to take car of road) then i would say get it turbo'ed, but dont stop there do the pistons & rods at the same time, as the 1G-FE will not take much, or if you can get a better engine, it all comes down to how much you have to put into this, and what power you want at the end of the day,

I turbo'ed my IS myself for around £1800, but it did take me 6 months to get the parts at the right prices, but i soon got use to the power, i was asking the Q what to do next, and there was 1 of 2 ways i could go, lay out BIG cash for pistons and rods or go with a engine swap, well i think you know what way i went, if you ask me its the only way to go if you are looking to get more & more power, so swap the 1G-FE for something better like alot have done.

abbott i think a supercharger would be the best route and cheap route if you want 200 bhp.

my last 2 cars were running over 300bhp and i thought i was over it all , but then tonight when i was out in the Type R it just did that old thing to me

you know that thing

when you put the foot down and you feel like your eyes are sinking into the back of your head and you think your about to die , i miss that feeling

Now selling the Lex isnt even an option i would dream of , but i think power is on the cards ..

These are my previous toys ...

photos148.jpg

013.jpg

yea SC is good, but!! once you get use to 200BHP and i can tell you it dont take long befor you want more power, so i would say stay away from SC as theres only so much power you can get from it, if you can and like you have said ( the time to take car of road) then i would say get it turbo'ed, but dont stop there do the pistons & rods at the same time, as the 1G-FE will not take much, or if you can get a better engine, it all comes down to how much you have to put into this, and what power you want at the end of the day,

I turbo'ed my IS myself for around £1800, but it did take me 6 months to get the parts at the right prices, but i soon got use to the power, i was asking the Q what to do next, and there was 1 of 2 ways i could go, lay out BIG cash for pistons and rods or go with a engine swap, well i think you know what way i went, if you ask me its the only way to go if you are looking to get more & more power, so swap the 1G-FE for something better like alot have done.

Thanks for the feedback marcus , im going to write a story and send you a PM if you dont mind explaining a few things to me please mate !

your old toys looks good mate i understand what markus says bout 200 bhp but it really depends how much you want to spend. i am after 240 bhp on my lex. after that i i get bored will just sell the charger and change car i wont go into changing pistons and all that. it does cost alot mate.

i understand the cost issue etc , thats not really the problem as its not an off the shelf thing so in some ways a lot easier . ie i will be able to buy the kit bit by bit and get whats needed then when i have everything together then think about piecing it all together ...

God its a bit different to the old civic plug and play kits you can get for 6-800 quid for a 1/2 descent setup inc everything bar remapped ECU ..

Im not entirely convinced yet but its on my mind and that normally means trouble for me , although one good thing is i was speaking to the mrs about this and she reckons we should do it so thats 1/2 the fight over already !!

So the question is and i understand it wouldnt be a cheap thing to do , i notice a lot of people to do this are transplanting engines from other cars what engines MR2 tubbys , Celica GTfours am i correct ?

Where would you get such things as custom manifolds etc for an IS200 or is there ANY off the shelf kits available ?

If anyone has doen this (im sure there is plenty) could you please let me know a general roundabout price i would be looking at for

A. a custom turbo setup on IS200

B. an engine conversion out of something else (bear in mind i could get my hands on an MR2 turbo engine(if thats whats needed) for much much cheapness ....

A custom Turbo setup would have to be just that custom. i dont think there is any off the shelf manifolds for the IS200. Although Prolex claims on his forum he may have one soon.

If you want the MR2 conversion, as has been said in Yeldarbs thread its costs in TGT around £8K to do that,

Mines on the right side of £4K, around £4.5k if you want the full 3" stainless exhaust as well like i'm going for.

Though my setup is being made for the future as i'm having all the pipework made at the right size for a big single in the future (3" compared to the standard 2.5".

But i'd budget over £5k if you want decent power from the FE by the time youve bought rods, pistons, manifold, turbo, ecu, fitting, etc.

Best bet IMHO is my conversion, an engine built for boost already. but wait till mines finished see if everything works out as it should.

As i think TGT have admitted its not maybe a viable option of the 3SGTE from what they've said about cost.

Stav

But i'd budget over £5k if you want decent power from the FE by the time youve bought rods, pistons, manifold, turbo, ecu, fitting, etc.

Stav

ain't that the truth - that was my initial plan, but costs just spiral!! mind you, I potentially have something in the pipelines to get me to 350ish bhp :shifty: :winky: but all depends how things pan out...

Remember the costing for mine is including a completely rebuilt 3S-GTE, that would cost somewhere in the region of 3.5K, so yes 8K is a huge amount of money and no one in their right mind would fork out that amount of money.

If you can save a bug chunk of it by supplying your own engine, or not having a re-built one then it comes back into play. I would think now the boys have done (almost) one they will be much quicker at doing another one? It has been a very steep learning curve for them even though they know the engine and cars inside out, but you don't un-learn something like this quickly!!

TGT have also invested in a MIG welder and CNC Lathe so the out sourced bits on mine (1K of Ally welding alone) they will be able to do in house, therefore saving time and money again.

If you only want 200BHP then save for a S/C, or light pressure turbo conversion. Only go for a engine swap if you want 300+BHP. If you have the 3SGTE you will also improve weight distribution, therefore improve handling, an added bonus. The 3SGTE will go to over 500BHP if you really want to go mad :o

If you have the 3SGTE you will also improve weight distribution, therefore improve handling, an added bonus.

Hmmm I thought the IS200 was 50/50 wieght distribution already..........can anybody confirm?

If you have the 3SGTE you will also improve weight distribution, therefore improve handling, an added bonus.

Hmmm I thought the IS200 was 50/50 wieght distribution already..........can anybody confirm?

The Altezza is 50/50, when the 6cyl was put in it upset the balance a bit. Monster Mat will of course confirm!!

abbott i think a supercharger would be the best route and cheap route if you want 200 bhp.

my last 2 cars were running over 300bhp and i thought i was over it all , but then tonight when i was out in the Type R it just did that old thing to me

you know that thing

when you put the foot down and you feel like your eyes are sinking into the back of your head and you think your about to die , i miss that feeling

Now selling the Lex isnt even an option i would dream of , but i think power is on the cards ..

These are my previous toys ...

photos148.jpg

013.jpg

Thanks for the feedback marcus , im going to write a story and send you a PM if you dont mind explaining a few things to me please mate !

feel free to send me a Pm mate, only to happy to help if i can, from your past cars i can see why you miss the power side of things, nice looking cars you had befor the lex.

hhhmmm i have a 2nd V8 just siting here :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the handy info guys , its very much appreciated ...

Marcus i shall be throwing a PM your way tommorow buddy , and apologies in advance but i have plenty questions for you ...

Hi mate, like i said im only to happy to help if i can...... :unsure:

The Altezza is 50/50, when the 6cyl was put in it upset the balance a bit. Monster Mat will of course confirm!!

monster mat could please confirm this.

thanks

When my fully stock IS200 was weighted, it showed 870 kg on the front axis and 700 kg on the rear. That was with two persons (I guess 160 kg) sitting in the front seats and almost empty fuel tank (around 10 littrs).

Taking out the peoples weight, that makes it roughly 56/44 weight distribution on an almost empty fuel tank.

Hope that info helps.