Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Lexus Is200

hi all

thinking of buying lexus is200 what should i look out for and what is the mpg like?

my car a v reg toyota avensis 18 gives 30 to 35 mpg

and what is the Engine like on the lexus?

thinking of buying one of these

lexus is200

year 2000,2001

x w y or 51 plate

thanks for help

wahid

I find the IS200 runs between 23 - 36. That is, terrible in urban use, pretty good on long runs even at high speed.

The engine is super smooth with no funny noises. It is gutless at low revs but comes to life at high revs. The gearbox and clutch are a dream. As you are coming from a FWD then BEWARE, the RWD IS200 can easily let the rear end go on wet turns. Make sure the cam belt etc have been changed if >6 years or 60,000 miles. If the rest of the car is OK but not the cam belt, get it done ASAP.

Overall the IS200 is a lovely car, if it grabs you, especially at today's low prices.

whats your budget? i think if your willing to travel you can get a good bargain :D i got mine for £7k which is a 2005 / 54reg with 26.6k miles. it was the last line of the IS200 so it had sat nav, lip spoiler and full leather :) good deal dont you think?

i had to travel all the way to scotland though :S

I bought my Lexus IS200 sport manual in silver Yreg 2001 leather/suede trim, not been messed with totally standard i gave £5300 on the forecourt back in sept 2007 & it hasn't really been high maintence, i get 400 miles to a tank full & ive done 30'000+ in 18months & still drives like a dream.

Once ya spoilt ya self with a Lexus you'll never go back.

The only advice i will say is make sure you get 1 with a 3 button remote for the doors & boot, if not it can cost in the range of £2000+, so beware.

hi all! i am also looking to buy a lexus from a local dealer 05 is 2.0 se with 35k on the clock, what sort of prices am i looking at for servicing and when will the major services be due,Any help welcome......dave

40k is full, 50k intermediate, biggy at 60k (that may include cambelt)

I had the 40k done on purchase (free) and the 50k and 60k thrown in so cant comment on prices, however having read this forum for several years you need to shop around as different dealers charge different prices..massively different in some cases

Intermediate can be as low as £150.... 60k ive seen a massive range £350 - £600 :crybaby: then you have the cambelt change, they will inspect at 60k although cross that bridge when you come to it

To give you some idea, look at the thread on "Cambelt Change". There are people out there who will do a good service job at a realistic price for a lot less than Lexus. I would come back nearer your 40K service and ask the members for advice where you live.

hi all

thanks for the replys

and i have got myself a is200 se 53 plate with 62000 mile on it.

it needs a timing belt change but apart from that what should i look out for?

again thanks for the replys

wahid

Congratulations ! Make sure you post up some pics of your new motor so that we can admire it too.

I would strongly suggest getting a full geometry setup at Wheels in Motion. The OEM setup can result in tyre wear problems (particularly on the inner edge) and poor handling. It costs about £100 and you won't believe the difference it'll make to the handling (e.g. being more stable on the motorway).