Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Run Your Car On Water!

Interesting article in car Mechanics this month involving a water convertor, sorry my letter hasn't been published this month so hopefully next month LOC will be extra famous!

Sorry link to website duff will repost later

this one got me thinking rather to hard for a Saturday, and it looks like there are many companies offering this type of product, however the most interesting read I found was a NASA report stating this technology does in fact work, take a look Its a bit long but is conclusive.

just from skim reading it, sounds very similar to the BS that was circulated regarding 'klein gas' or brown's gas. the problem with electrolysis of water (i.e electrically splitting a molecule of water into its constituent atoms) is that the enrgy required to do so far exceeds the amount of energy regained by utilising it/burning it.

Yes, it will work, and has been utilised in innovation labs etc for a number of years, but isn't at the stage yet (to my knowledge) that allows it to be used economically by the everyday citizen.

we have an innovation centre next door to us who are working on H2 fuel cells at the minute and have just finished one of the only H2 fuelled motorbikes in the world (IIRC it uses a MeOH stock solvent base) - very impressive bit of stuff and i was fortunate enough to have a good nosey around it a few months back.

I can see one way in which it might be useful, namely that you could use a system that splits the water from the energy used in braking. With conventional brakes, the kinetic energy is converted to heat and therefore wasted. If you could use it to power your water splitter, then it would be effectively free?

Drive systems which combine petrol and electric drive are very well proven now (and Toyota/Lexus have some of the best), so the only extra bits would be the different braking system and the fuel cell to power the motors, instead of a chunky Battery pack.