Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Light On

tinygsy

On my way home earlier today I noticed the engine light come on and the traction control light keeps flashing. Anyone got any ideas? Haven`t had a chance to get it checked out yet but if its likely to be a fuse or something then I can sort that myself.

Any help/advice would be appreciated,

thanks

Tiny

Forgot to mention, its an 01 IS200

ok had the code read and it came back as: P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire detected

The code was cleared and the light went off and so far hasn`t returned, although I`ve only done about 5 miles since then (nothings far away over here) The bloke that checked it for me happens to be the local car importer and he said a lot of the cars he brings in develop this fault after about a fortnight due to the poor fuel over here!

Hopefully thats all it was but I`ll keep an eye on the situation. It`ll be serviced in the next couple of weeks anyway

• 4 months later...

ok has time has passed the car has been in to have the codes read on numerous occasions whilst we have tried different things such as changing the coil packs around and yet still it comes up with the code for a cylinder 1 mis-fire occasionally. Generally its approximately 200 miles before it comes back on each time. Does anyone have any other ideas for what to check?

thanks in advance

Yep- you need the Denso or NGK irdium spark plugs (not platinum plugs).

Don't use Bosch spark plugs- they don't seem to suit Lexus/Toyota engines from what I have read on here.

• 1 month later...

Back again :( after the last time I had the codes read I then changed some of the spark plugs around, being that it was always cylinder one that had the problem I changed both the plug and the coil pack with the ones from cylinder 3 and still the new code comes up as a cylinder one misfire. Any more things I can check?

• 2 weeks later...

ok latest update:

after swapping the plugs and coil packs around and it still making no difference, I put the car into the garage today for the injectors to be swapped and check to see if that solved or made a difference to the problem. When that didn`t the garage did a compression test and found that cylinder one was in fact down on compression :( The mechanic thinks the problem is a sticky valve so hopefully that will cure the misfire :)

So now I`ve got a mk3 fiesta to borrow whilst the Lexus is repaired. Hopefully it won`t be too long