Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Supercharger Noise

Good evening,

I'm sorry for posting another thread, but I just want to be sure if the supercharger is really supposed to sound like this on tickover and low revs. The high pitched sound is quite loud, even inside the car. Please just tell me if your superchargers sound like this:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Cheers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean the high pitch whistling noise ? then NO :duh:

Yeah, that's what I mean. I really don't think it should be there, but I don't know what's causing it. The supercharger pulls really nice, so it's definitely working.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I really don't think it should be there, but I don't know what's causing it. The supercharger pulls really nice, so it's definitely working.

Might be the belt or bearing, even the pulley to tension the belt has a bearing in it :D

Mines pretty quiet on tickover mate, but i did have a clicking noise higher up the rev range, but since i got the belt nice and tight and lubricated the tensioner it now gone and the only noise i get is from the induction kit? :)

Have you tried spraying the tensioner with some lube to see if it changes the sound mate? :unsure:

Might be the belt or bearing, even the pulley to tension the belt has a bearing in it :D

That would be easy to test. I will lubricate the tensioner first thing tomorrow :) Thanks mate

i think it mite mean the supercharger return value is stuck open. i got mine catch on a jublie chip and sounded like that. does it sound ok when your foot is down?

I haven't really thought about it. I only floor the pedal when I'm already in higher revs and the whistling sound isn't present. But shouldn't the bypass valve be completely opened until you put your foot down? I'm pretty sure my valve opens and closes as it should.

Mines pretty quiet on tickover mate, but i did have a clicking noise higher up the rev range, but since i got the belt nice and tight and lubricated the tensioner it now gone and the only noise i get is from the induction kit? :)

Have you tried spraying the tensioner with some lube to see if it changes the sound mate? :unsure:

I just tightened the belt this morning, but I will certainly lube the tensioner tomorrow :)

All i hear is a grumble on mine, still pulls great though think we should have a SC checkup party in sweeden lol

Rabs

Haha! Yeah, that would be something :D I'm hoping to be able to join you at JAE this summer :)

That would be easy to test. I will lubricate the tensioner first thing tomorrow :) Thanks mate

i think it mite mean the supercharger return value is stuck open. i got mine catch on a jublie chip and sounded like that. does it sound ok when your foot is down?

I haven't really thought about it. I only floor the pedal when I'm already in higher revs and the whistling sound isn't present. But shouldn't the bypass valve be completely opened until you put your foot down? I'm pretty sure my valve opens and closes as it should.

I just tightened the belt this morning, but I will certainly lube the tensioner tomorrow :)

All i hear is a grumble on mine, still pulls great though think we should have a SC checkup party in sweeden lol

Rabs

Haha! Yeah, that would be something :D I'm hoping to be able to join you at JAE this summer :)

could mean stuck closed yeah lol

I removed the tensioner pulley but I couldn’t find anything odd about it, the bearing felt the way it should. I also checked my bypass valve and it’s opening and closing correctly.

The noise has actually decreased anyway, and yesterday I found it completely gone. Unfortunately, though, that wasn’t the only thing that was gone. My boost had also decided to leave me. My car drives like it has never seen a supercharger.

This got me thinking, could the sound have been caused by a small air leak? If so, it might have turned into a major leak, meaning no inlet boost pressure and no whistling sound.

Yesterday my new silicone hoses arrived. I will replace the rubber ones today and see if I can get some boost again.

I removed the tensioner pulley but I couldn’t find anything odd about it, the bearing felt the way it should. I also checked my bypass valve and it’s opening and closing correctly.

The noise has actually decreased anyway, and yesterday I found it completely gone. Unfortunately, though, that wasn’t the only thing that was gone. My boost had also decided to leave me. My car drives like it has never seen a supercharger.

This got me thinking, could the sound have been caused by a small air leak? If so, it might have turned into a major leak, meaning no inlet boost pressure and no whistling sound.

Yesterday my new silicone hoses arrived. I will replace the rubber ones today and see if I can get some boost again.

thats not good mate fingers crossed it was a leak then what clips did you use to hold all the pipes on

Rabs

thats not good mate fingers crossed it was a leak then what clips did you use to hold all the pipes on

Rabs

Thanks mate. I used the simple one that were included in the supercharger kit. I think I might go for some Mikalor clamps, but I'll have to order them.

Patrik if you close the bypass by hand you'll probably be able to hear where the leak is, i did it on mine the other night and could hear it coming from the hose near the throttle body, 1 of my hose clips kept working loose so changed them now and seems fine again :)

Patrik if you close the bypass by hand you'll probably be able to hear where the leak is, i did it on mine the other night and could hear it coming from the hose near the throttle body, 1 of my hose clips kept working loose so changed them now and seems fine again :)

Thanks mate :)

It turns out there was no leak at all. I started by measuring the rpm of the supercharger pulley in idle, 1100 rpm. Then I closed the bypass valve and saw the pulley revs falling to around 300 rpm while the engine remained exacly the same. I thought that was strange, as the engine rpm should rise when boost is building up. I then noticed what caused this behavior.

Both the boost and the noise disappeared because the three little supercharger pulley screws had snapped. I replaced them with M5 allen type screws and the engine became much more powerful again. However, as my boost came back so did the annoying noise.

Yesterday I removed the supercharger belt and used a separate electric engine to drive the supercharger without anything else interfering. The noise was present, so now I have excluded everything that is outside the supercharger unit itself. I now think the sound might be caused by a dry bearing somewhere inside it.

However, I don't have to open my supercharger up just yet. Believe it or not, but I've just managed to source another supercharger kit only 50 miles from here. It's been sitting in a box since it was lifted from the TTE supercharger demo IS200, used to promote the charged version in Sweden. I've been told that its airbox is made of carbon fiber, but I can't confirm it until later this week. I was also told this kit was bought by a production company for the Swedish movie Livvakterna (Executive Protection), but they never fitted it to the car that was used in the film.

Anyway, the current owner will let me borrow the kit, hopefully this week. That way I can quickly replace my supercharger to see if the other one sounds fine :)

excellent news Patrik, hope you get to the bottom of the problem.

Seems like its the colder climbs of where you and Rob live (i'm being very general here) that cause these screws to snap.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Stav

Its a shame you've had all these problems with your kit mate, but hopefully you'll have it sorted soon :)

That other supercharger sounds like its got a bit of history behind it, quite interesting with it having a carbon airbox?

Mines running really well, now that i've sorted the hose clips out so very happy with it :)

Seems like its the colder climbs of where you and Rob live (i'm being very general here) that cause these screws to snap.

Stav

Mine snapped during the summer and it didnt get so cold in the winter to effect meatal - the screws are just crap.

Patrick - how did u measure the speed of the supercharger pulley??

• 2 weeks later...

Stav

Its a shame you've had all these problems with your kit mate, but hopefully you'll have it sorted soon :)

That other supercharger sounds like its got a bit of history behind it, quite interesting with it having a carbon airbox?

Mines running really well, now that i've sorted the hose clips out so very happy with it :)

Stav

Mine snapped during the summer and it didnt get so cold in the winter to effect meatal - the screws are just crap.

Patrick - how did u measure the speed of the supercharger pulley??

Thanks mates! :)

To measure the rpm of the supercharger pulley I put a special kind of reflective sticker on it and used an optical rev meter, like this one:

05600460.jpg

I just picked up the second supercharger, which means I've currently got two thirds of the entire Swedish TTE supercharger population :D

Anyway, right away I could feel there is a huge difference when just spinning the pulley by hand. The one that I fitted feels a lot heavier to move and it kind of sounds like something is rubbing against something else when moving it by hand. Now I've got two theories;

Maybe my former Mercedes colleague is right and the 'blades' inside the supercharger needs some running in to sort of worn off their top layer of paint or whatever they are treated with.

I'm more suspicious towards the bearings, though. I have a feeling that they are dry and the first thing I'm going to do tomorrow is removing the supercharger oil plug and check if there is any oil in it.

@Rob: If I remember correctly, you've replaced your supercharger bearings once. Do you know where I can find new ones if it turns out I need to replace mine? :unsure:

This is the second supercharger. I didn't have a look at the cf airbox, but I certainly will later on.

dsc00138f.jpg

yes the bearings u can get them from a guy on the american eBay he is the ONLY person i found that sells them to the public..... ill find his name and PM you. BUT these are the 2 bearings at the rear.....

100% forget about touching the bearings in the front of the unit. You need to press out the shafts using a 10,000kg press to break the initial bond and everything must be marked perfectly so the lobes will run properly together. also the bearings and seals are a very very special size for the rotors.

the bearing on the front for the clutch assy is also a special size... ill find the bearing number for you on thirsday when i am back home, its also special and hard to find. its natchi that makes the bearings and they were a limited production run.

send me the details of the optical meter i like that! why do u have one? can you do me a favour and see the rpm of the pulley at max revs?????

yes the bearings u can get them from a guy on the american ebay he is the ONLY person i found that sells them to the public..... ill find his name and PM you. BUT these are the 2 bearings at the rear.....

100% forget about touching the bearings in the front of the unit. You need to press out the shafts using a 10,000kg press to break the initial bond and everything must be marked perfectly so the lobes will run properly together. also the bearings and seals are a very very special size for the rotors.

the bearing on the front for the clutch assy is also a special size... ill find the bearing number for you on thirsday when i am back home, its also special and hard to find. its natchi that makes the bearings and they were a limited production run.

send me the details of the optical meter i like that! why do u have one? can you do me a favour and see the rpm of the pulley at max revs?????

Never mind, mate :) I'm fairly certain the bearings are perfectly fine. Thanks a bunch anyway.

I actually measured the supercharger max revs the last time, but I don't remember how much it was. I will measure it again and give you all the details about the meter tomorrow.

I've now fitted the other supercharger and it's really quiet. Man what I difference when I finally got boosted again :D I've been driving around without a supercharger belt as I've been worried about the noise.

One thing I noticed is that once I loosened my old supercharger pulley screws just a bit the 'scraping' stopped and the pulley became much smoother to spin. Tomorrow I will continue investigating the cause and when I'm happy with how the pulley feels I will fit it with a seperate electric motor and see if the noise is still there at 3000 rpm.

This is the difference between the other supercharger (left) and mine (right), when my supercharger screws are tightened. Also, it's not because I replaced my screws as the scraping was there even before I did it.

I will also replace my belt (803) with a shorter one as my current belt is tightened as much as possible and it's still slipping a little bit. You can hear it in this video when the supercharger rpm drops before starting building up boost pressure as the bypass valve closes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links