Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow Mode

Just curious as to how snow mode changes the car so it will perform better in snow? i know that it works very well in my old mans saab 95 auto but thats front wheel drive. i dont see how it can make a huge difference on a rear wheel drive manual car?

Many thanks!!

Niall

• Like 1

good for long motorway drives? do you mean when its snowing/icy or just in normal conditions. suppose it can do good things for fuel ecconomy?

other question.... the IS has a switch allowing you to swich the traction control off. does it fully turn it off as i know some cars, it only kills it slightly. Bad weather conditions + traction control + rear wheel drive = no good lol.

thanks!!

Yeah it does turn it off fully, because the IS200 just has simple traction control.

I think on other cars turning the traction control off leaves some of the more advanced DSC-type stuff turned on.

didnt know that but i do know. thanks mate

Snow mode reduces the sensitivity of the throttle and allows some slippage of the wheels ( or so i have found) trc off is 100% off.

remember snow mode is not going to make your car a "go anywhere" machine if you dont have the correct tyres for the conditions.

• Like 1

Is there any down-side of using the snow mode? like damage to the engine or coil pack etc..?

No, it's fine to use all the time if you want to, all its doing is providing a different "map" to the throttle pedal, i.e. for the same distance of pressing the throttle pedal down, with snow mode engaged it opens the engine throttle less than usual.

It's really just a bit like putting a sponge underneath your throttle pedal.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Snow mode is a must for around town , drive a auto worst mpg I got was about 22mpg ,

However filled up with €20 @ 1.57 per liter = 12.73 liters and got a whopping 35mpg

one or two trips on the moterway but mainly shot town trips :)

worked out @ 100miles for €20 why drive anything else ? :hocus-pokus:

No, if you were happy replying to this thread, I don't see the need for posting a thread. I use snow mode all the time and I'm averaging 30.6 mpg since purchasing the vehicle in January this year, nearly done 10, 000 miles. The last lot of mpg calculations were over 32.0 mpg. Loving this car!

• Like 1

Good we cleared that up thanks Stuart :) , guess the sport cross is a little heavier so less mpg ?

This is also one of the best car I've had and I've had quite a few including a 2005 Honda accord with similar spec apart that had tiptronic :(

The ect pwr button is also great fun if you don't mind caning the juice ...

The weight is a minimal difference between the SportCross and the Saloon. Lexus' official figures state that a combined run should be 28.8 mpg, but if you want to check my fuelly from my signature, you can see (how much of a pedant I am) how well the car is performing. I fill the car to the brim and then drive until it's empty, if I only filled up half a tank a time, I could probably increase my mpg. Lol.

I've not got an ect power button. But then I purchased the SportCross as we've got a baby on the way. Estate and isofix points. Mpg was another issue, but I couldn't face driving around in a diesel Focus Estate!

Yes that makes sence with a full tanks extra weight alright :)

I also got mine as was becoming very annoying and awkward with a 2door celica and a 3 year old to hustle into the back baby seat every morning :(

Now she can climb in on her own with no help from mum and dad and no more bad backs for us too whoopee !

Even if the mpg was only 25mpg it's still worth the extra as such an awesome car :0)

wait what?! the sportcross doesnt have a ECT power button? how strange

so im guessing using snow mode on the motorway on long trips stops the car from kicking down when changing lanes which then keeps the revs low. Ill have to try this on my long haul to Paris

On a different note, im not surprised you love your car Stuart, its such a great example and that colour is to die for. and the sportcross would make a ideal family car for years to come, trust me having that liftback is going to make the world of difference, the saloon is stupidly unpractical lol. Unfortunatly theres not enough ppl in the world like you and the majority do drive around in diesel Focus's. I had a Focus and as reliable as it was just soo boring and common and couldnt get on with it. I dont mind paying the bit extra in fuel bills, in fact its not that much different. The only good thing about it was that because i didnt care about it, all those beginners fender benders you do in the first few years of driving took its toll on the Focus and not the Lex :)

Hehe, yeah my first cars were very uninspiring. Fiat Panda 750cc , Renault Clio 1.2l , Rover 400 , Rover Metro , kia Pride Panel Van . . . Yep! Kia Shuma, vauxhal Corsa and now my Lexus.

I've got trc and snow mode buttons, but not found an ect pwr button.

wait what?! the sportcross doesnt have a ECT power button? how strange

ECT power adjusts the shifting of the auto transmission, you won't find it on the manual transmission vehicles which I guess is what Stuart has?

Ah, Thank You Colin. Yes, the is200 SportCross is indeed a manual. When i purchased it, the dealer said that it had cruise control, but as it was a manual, cruise control was never fitted, I didn't pull him up on it, it seemed a genuine mistake.