Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dynamic Route Guidance On Sei

After months of dithering over the choice between a second hand IS250SE Automatic with MM and a new SEI, I've taken the plunge and have ordered an SEI with the "full map navigation" system.

Unfortunately this doesn't include the dynamic route guidance option. I was wondering if the necessary hardware is actually included in the SEI and that for commercial reasons the facility has simply been disabled by a software switch that "someone in the know" could change to activate dynamic route guidance.

I'm still really confused by this, every navigation system in every Toyota car has DRG now, so why would they eliminate it from one particular spec of one model? Seems bizarre, have you had a test drive in an SE-I and actually seen whether it is missing?

Although I've had a test drive in an SEI, I must admit I didn't actually check whether the dynamic route guidance option was missing as is stated in the sales brochure.

I'm guessing that they've deleted the option to help justify the price difference between the SEI's "full map navigation" system and the SEL's "Multimedia Pack" and to try and encourage more people to upgrade from the SEI to the SEL. If it is just a commercial/marketing ploy then it might be something that has just been implemented with a simple software switch that might be possible to change.

Hi,

I've been told that the DRG anf TMC have become optional components to reduce the cost of the nav units on the 2009 models, my dealer said those two components make up half the price.

No idea if it's hardware or software, I suspect DRG software, TMC hardware.

Thanks

Matt

Fair enough, as Matt says it's probably a combination of hardware and software as it requires a TMC receiver the software.

If it is expensive, then I'd imagine that they've probably left the receiver off.

Just did a search for TMC and DRG and found some info on the Toyota owners club web site http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lof...php/t12572.html which confirms Matt's thought that DRG is a combination of hardware and software. Therefore, it seems unlikely there will be a simple hack to add this option into the SEI nav system.

Many thanks for the help guys.

Best regards

Roger

I never trust mine anyway... its only as good as the TMC data which is sometimes wrong- I've cruised through non-existent but marked delays a few times now, it would be annoying to re-route.

I remember with the BMWs, the TMC only worked when you fitted the right disc which had the tmc code on.

• 2 months later...

I had an SE-I as a courtesy car last week and I really missed the DRG. What I hadn't realised (D'oh!) was that if I missed a turn, then the SE-I won't just calculate a new route - It keeps on trying to get you back onto your original route.

Maybe I'm odd, but I'm so used to setting up a route and if I know some shortcuts then just taking them. The pesky SEI wanted me to rejoin the original route :crybaby:

I was glad to get my SE MM back - but it rules out an SE-I for me at tradein time (shame!

I had an SE-I as a courtesy car last week and I really missed the DRG. What I hadn't realised (D'oh!) was that if I missed a turn, then the SE-I won't just calculate a new route - It keeps on trying to get you back onto your original route.

Maybe I'm odd, but I'm so used to setting up a route and if I know some shortcuts then just taking them. The pesky SEI wanted me to rejoin the original route :crybaby:

I was glad to get my SE MM back - but it rules out an SE-I for me at tradein time (shame!

That's not part of the DRG, I'm guessing that the "auto reroute" was switched off.

Agree though, I have no idea why they've removed DRG from all but the top models..........although it does appear to be some kind of streamlining, it looks like with the newer cars the DVD based systems have no DRG and only the top of the line hard drive systems have DRG........could it be some sort of licensing cost issue?

I've now got my SE-I and, although I haven't yet made much use of the sat nav, I have seen it recalculate a different route after I'd deviated from the original route. However, I get the feeling that, like the sat nav in my previous car, when you initially deviate from a route the system does tend to try and get you back on that route before eventually giving up and recalculating a new route. In my previous car I found it was sometimes better to force it to recalculate a route.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links