Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here You Go A How Too On Fitting Brake Hoses.

ormi

brakehose1.jpg

right first take a wire brush and clean the end of the pipe and the pipe threads and spray with a penetrating oil(leave sitting for a few mins)

brakehose2.jpg

take your brake pipe spanner(10mm) make sure its on properly and slacken(anti clockwise)if you dont have a brake pipe spanner i recomend you get one only a few pounds but can save you rounding off the 10mm(if you do its a new brake pipe)

brakehose3.jpg

take a 14mm spanner or socket and remove the bolt from the back of the caliper(the one that holds the pipe on)

take note on how your old pipe sits ie how it bends as if you dont you might end up with a pipe that rubs off the suspension or wheels

brakehose4.jpg

remove the horse shoe clip it just pulls towards you,remove your old hose now and refit new one screw the hose into the brakepipe, you shoud have got 8 copper washers in your kit two for each hose. take the 14mm bolt you removed from the caliper put one washer on the bolt put the bolt through the pipe and put a other washer on the other side and then screw into the caliper (make sure your hose is sitting right) then tighten the 10mm and 14mm

brakehose5.jpg

remove the rubber nipple cover(if they are still on your car)

take note on the copper washers

brakehose6.jpg

give the nipple threads a clean with the wire brush and spray some penetrating oil on and leave for a few mins

brakehose7.jpg

slacken nipple (10mm again)and put your bleed bottle on the nipple

brakehose8.jpg

this is the part that req two people and some brake fluid get your mate,mum,dad or your sister to sit in the car(remember you should have slackend the nipple) and pump the brake pedal approx 10 times on the last pump hold the pedal to the floor and tighten the nipple PEDAL MUST BE HELD TO THE FLOOR!!!!then top up your brake fluid(must be done after every bleed)

brakehose9.jpg

now stand back and admire your handy work then poop yourself coz you have a other 3 to do!lol

once you have done all 4 make sure your brake pedal ok if it feels spongy or it sinks then re-bleed the brakes.

Awesome, thanks ! Probably should move this in the Workshop section.

Must get mine done !

take your brake pipe spanner(10mm) make sure its on properly and slacken(anti clockwise)if you dont have a brake pipe spanner i recomend you get one only a few pounds but can save you rounding off the 10mm(if you do its a new brake pipe)

Is this what I'm finding as a "flare nut spanner" on the Internet, e.g. like this one ?

Awesome, thanks ! Probably should move this in the Workshop section.

Must get mine done !

Is this what I'm finding as a "flare nut spanner" on the Internet, e.g. like this one ?

thats the one matey!honestly getting one will make your life so much easyer when you come to do yours.

Just to add for this, assuming it gets moved to the Workshop section. Your car will have one of two different types of connectors for the brake lines, and you need to check what you've got or the brake lines may not fit !

See this posting and others in the same thread for a discussion on this subject.

It seems that the Goodridge brake lines come with the "D-type" connector, which fits most IS200s. But early cars (up to May 2000) come with the "S-type" connector. I bought some HEL brake lines from eBay which came with the S-type connector.

Also to add to this, I bought a "one-man" brake bleeding kit which hopefully means I can do the brake bleeding on my own, one of these from Halfords.

Just to add for this, assuming it gets moved to the Workshop section. Your car will have one of two different types of connectors for the brake lines, and you need to check what you've got or the brake lines may not fit !

See this posting and others in the same thread for a discussion on this subject.

It seems that the Goodridge brake lines come with the "D-type" connector, which fits most IS200s. But early cars (up to May 2000) come with the "S-type" connector. I bought some HEL brake lines from eBay which came with the S-type connector.

Also to add to this, I bought a "one-man" brake bleeding kit which hopefully means I can do the brake bleeding on my own, one of these from Halfords.

i would forget the one man bit !

phone a friend time :D

you will not be able to pump the pedal and work the spanner on the bleed valve at the same time

please remember that brake fluid is great in brake lines but isnt so good on paintwork !!

I will ask Mat to give this thread a once over and then pin it up :)

thanks Ormi

• 11 months later...

..and one salutory lesson: Someone managed to twist this brake hose when they put the brake caliper back. Failed MOT on this, so Itook the brake disk and caliper off in one piece and un-twised the hose.

see pic

Twisted front brake hose MOT failure

..and one salutory lesson: Someone managed to twist this brake hose when they put the brake caliper back. Failed MOT on this, so Itook the brake disk and caliper off in one piece and un-twised the hose.

see pic

Twisted front brake hose MOT failure

you could have removed the bottom 14mm pulled the top slide out and untwisted it that way....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links