Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Programming

Has anyone tried programming an IS200 key using the instructions posted elsewhere on the forum?

My car was only supplied with one key, luckily the master, and so I got hold of a blank key and a used key from eBay, put the inside of the used key into the blank key, got it cut and tried programming it to my car. I can get it to lock and unlock the doors but not to actually start the engine - it just turns over but doesn't catch.

The bit that doesn't seem to work is the last bit where you hold the lock on unlock buttons down on the key and then hold another key down for a minimum of a second.

My mate suggested that the car might actually have the maximum number of keys already programmed to it, which I find worrying that there might be three other keys out there which will open my car, and suggested that I use the proceedure to reset all existing codes, then reprogram the master key, followed by the spare. However if it resets all the codes and then fails to reprogram the master successfully then I can't drive the car and will face a hefty bill from Lexus!

Any thoughts?

Yes, I've used it myself, although that was only for the remote locking bit. The bit you're having trouble with is the immobiliser, the car turning over but not firing is because the immobiliser is still enabled.

I'm sure there's a way to delete the other keys but not the master, you can't reprogram the master itself. Although I don't think that having the maximum number of keys is likely to be your problem, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to program the remote locking.

I would suggest to keep trying in case you're just not quite doing that bit right.

Has anyone tried programming an IS200 key using the instructions posted elsewhere on the forum?

My car was only supplied with one key, luckily the master, and so I got hold of a blank key and a used key from ebay, put the inside of the used key into the blank key, got it cut and tried programming it to my car. I can get it to lock and unlock the doors but not to actually start the engine - it just turns over but doesn't catch.

The bit that doesn't seem to work is the last bit where you hold the lock on unlock buttons down on the key and then hold another key down for a minimum of a second.

My mate suggested that the car might actually have the maximum number of keys already programmed to it, which I find worrying that there might be three other keys out there which will open my car, and suggested that I use the proceedure to reset all existing codes, then reprogram the master key, followed by the spare. However if it resets all the codes and then fails to reprogram the master successfully then I can't drive the car and will face a hefty bill from Lexus!

Any thoughts?

AFAIK you should still be able to reprogram your new key, even if the maximum keys have been programmed, and one of the older keys would be overwritten in the cars memory thats all, just hope ur current master key isn't the one thats overwritten, is your new key a 3-button?

I have used the key programming method and it worked 100%

My car was only supplied with one key, luckily the master, and so I got hold of a blank key and a used key from ebay, put the inside of the used key into the blank key, got it cut and tried programming it to my car. I can get it to lock and unlock the doors but not to actually start the engine - it just turns over but doesn't catch.

Any thoughts?

AFAIK you should still be able to reprogram your new key, even if the maximum keys have been programmed, and one of the older keys would be overwritten in the cars memory thats all, just hope ur current master key isn't the one thats overwritten, is your new key a 3-button?

I have used the key programming method and it worked 100%

Yes my new key is a three button one. It was the only used key being sold on eBay. I have yet to see a stub key for sale on there.

The car locks and unlocks itself after the first part of the procedure (flicking on and off on the door switch) which is what it's supposed to do, it just seems to be the last bit with the holding the lock and unlock buttons on the key itself - I've seen intructions that say hold them down for a maximum of 1.5 seconds, and some that say two seconds. Anyway, it's this bit that just doesn't seem to work.

I assume the immobiliser is still operational as a security measure. The security light on the instrument panel keeps flashing when the key is in, even after the programming procedure has completed.

I assume the immobiliser is still operational as a security measure. The security light on the instrument panel keeps flashing when the key is in, even after the programming procedure has completed.

That doesn't sound right though, unless you have to remove and re-insert the key. The immobiliser should be disabled (i.e. the Security light goes off) when a correctly-programmed key is inserted.

That doesn't sound right though, unless you have to remove and re-insert the key. The immobiliser should be disabled (i.e. the Security light goes off) when a correctly-programmed key is inserted.

Yeah, that's how I know the programming hasn't worked. It goes off when the master is inserted, but even though the spare can lock and unlock the doors I know it is not correctly programmed because the security light still flashes when it is inserted. I aasume the last bit of the programming instructions is related to actually being able to start the car (the previous part concentrating on locking/unlocking the switch on the drivers door) and it is this last part that is not working for me.

It says hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key down simultaneously for either 1.5 or 2 seconds (depending on which instructions you have) then, within 3 seconds, hold any key down for a minimum of 1 second. I have done this numerous times and it just won't allow the key to start the engine.

It says hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key down simultaneously for either 1.5 or 2 seconds (depending on which instructions you have) then, within 3 seconds, hold any key down for a minimum of 1 second. I have done this numerous times and it just won't allow the key to start the engine.

Where are you looking for these instructions ? I haven't tried this bit myself, but to programme the transponder (i.e. for the immobiliser), the posting here describes the following two methods, neither of which seem to match what you mentioned above :

To programme the transponder chip, so as the key will start the engine:

Press the accelerator and brakes pedals simultaneously ONCE, then release.

Insert your Master Key into the ignition, and turn ON.

Press and release the accelerator FIVE times (within 15 seconds)

Press and release the brake pedal SIX times (within 20 seconds)

Remove the Master key

Insert the new key into the ignition, and turn ON (within 10 seconds)

Press and release the accelerator ONCE (within 10 seconds)

WAIT 80 seconds (or so), the security light should go OFF.

Remove new key, press and release brake ONCE. - Done.

The above method worked for me, but I'm led to beleive that if you have a 2002+ car then the method for the immobiliser if as follows:

Close all doors and windows.

Insert Master key into the ignition and turn ON.

Turn the ignition OFF and back to ON, FIVE times.

Open and close the driver's door SIX times.

Remove the Master Key and insert your new key.

Turn ignition to ON.

WAIT 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will then go out.