Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d - Problems Starting - Especially When Engine Is Warm?

Hi Guys

I've had my used (26k on the clock) IS220d for about a month now. i LOVE it!! But I am noticing some problems starting the car - particularly when the engine is warm.

Often I am finding that the engine turns over/cranks, but doesn't fire. The other day I was at the petrol station and the damn thing took 5-6 attempts to start. I was really embarassed as you wouldn't expect a quality car to have these problems!

Now - this is my first diesel, and I have to say that I know nothing really about the eccentricities of diesel motors - so I don't know what's normal, or if there is anything specific I am missing.

Basically - is there anything I am not doing? Or is there an issue with the car? Do you need to depress the accelerator while cranking for example?

Has anyone else had a similar experience/got any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Any advice gratefully received!

Tim

Hi Guys

I've had my used (26k on the clock) IS220d for about a month now. i LOVE it!! But I am noticing some problems starting the car - particularly when the engine is warm.

Often I am finding that the engine turns over/cranks, but doesn't fire. The other day I was at the petrol station and the damn thing took 5-6 attempts to start. I was really embarassed as you wouldn't expect a quality car to have these problems!

Now - this is my first diesel, and I have to say that I know nothing really about the eccentricities of diesel motors - so I don't know what's normal, or if there is anything specific I am missing.

Basically - is there anything I am not doing? Or is there an issue with the car? Do you need to depress the accelerator while cranking for example?

Has anyone else had a similar experience/got any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Tim

No that´s news to me. Never had or heard of this before. Perhaps someone else? Sometimes I can miss pressing the clutch all the way down when starting but that´s not probably the issue is it?

Hi Guys

Tim

I assume you are under warranty only having had it for a month, so walse it in to the dealer & get it checked.

It's not a problem I had with my 220. On 1 or 2 occasions I had to have a couple of goes at getting it started, but that was also down to not having the pedal right down.

• 4 weeks later...
question -

when the car is warm .. does it crank over at the same speed ?

or slower ?

Take it to your local friendly dealer and get them to check that all the latest ECU reflashes have been done. They should know if they have or not

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links