Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Changed Their Diff Oil?

petej

Hello, I've got a IS200 and it's due some routine service work. I was thinking of changing the diff oil amongst other things. I know which oil to get as it's in the service book but I'm wondering how difficult a job this is. Have any of you done this and if so how easy was it? Also, I've had a search of this forum and there seems some lively debate as to where the axle stands and jack should go. I've got a trolley jack and a couple of axle stands. What's the best place to position these so I can still get at the drain and fill plugs. I presume there is a drain and a fill plug? If anyone has got any pics of the plugs i'd be super grateful for them.

Of course the easiest way to do it, is to have someone change them for you.

But if you want to change them your self you 've got to know that you are going to get a little dirty. It's not the easiest thing.

Professionals have pressure tools to get the oil in the dif.

You can just use gravity. You need a plastic bottle of oil and a flexible tube attached to it, long enough to rich from the rear wheel arch to the differential.

It is a two man job as one has to hold the bottle above the rear wheel with the oil and refilling it and the other checking under the car when the dif is full.

Hope i helped and sorry for my bad english...

• 3 months later...
Of course the easiest way to do it, is to have someone change them for you.

But if you want to change them your self you 've got to know that you are going to get a little dirty. It's not the easiest thing.

Professionals have pressure tools to get the oil in the dif.

You can just use gravity. You need a plastic bottle of oil and a flexible tube attached to it, long enough to rich from the rear wheel arch to the differential.

It is a two man job as one has to hold the bottle above the rear wheel with the oil and refilling it and the other checking under the car when the dif is full.

Hope i helped and sorry for my bad english...

Your English is great Dimitris.... better than some British people I know.. lol

Col.. :winky:

recomended diff and gearbox oil is every 30000. had mine changed at 70000 service as the car was up in the air and thought while its there might as well have it done for the amount of time it takes which is about 20 minutes

recomended diff and gearbox oil is every 30000. had mine changed at 70000 service as the car was up in the air and thought while its there might as well have it done for the amount of time it takes which is about 20 minutes

Got mine changed yesterday. 61K miles. Took 35 Mins and cost me £42.00. Local garage.. "Car Clinic". Great service and will give a discount to LOC members.

Col.. :D :)

Hello, I've got a IS200 and it's due some routine service work. I was thinking of changing the diff oil amongst other things. I know which oil to get as it's in the service book but I'm wondering how difficult a job this is. Have any of you done this and if so how easy was it? Also, I've had a search of this forum and there seems some lively debate as to where the axle stands and jack should go. I've got a trolley jack and a couple of axle stands. What's the best place to position these so I can still get at the drain and fill plugs. I presume there is a drain and a fill plug? If anyone has got any pics of the plugs i'd be super grateful for them.

Changing the diff oil is a cinch... drain plug is at the bottom of the diff, fill point is on the right as you look at the back of the car... when you buy the oil, mke sure that the bottles have a fill tube, you can just slide the bottle in and squeeze, fill untill the oil starts to weep out of the filler and you're done.. as the diff is draining, clean the swarf off the magnetic drain plug, first change there will be a lot of swarf to clen off, changed my oil 10K miles later and was then very clean..... Lexus say that the diff oil should be replaced every 20K miles but it is so easy to do, I change it with the engine oil...

Lifting points... Use your noodle

nope mate,

diff oil every 20k and gear oil every 40k(manual) matey.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links