Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Speedo Reading Way Out...

Hi there,

I am new to Lexi and the LOC only got my IS200 last tuesday, a week today infact!

A few little niggles, firstly the speedo is ready 10mph out compared with my sat nav. I know there is normal a slight difference but its doing 30mph when its reading 40 and gets to about 13 mph out when you get to higher speeds.

My car is a 2001 Y plate IS200 S, with lots of optional extras I'm told. It originally had 16" rims but now has some 17's on it, I cant see that this small difference in tyre size would cause this.

Also, my 17" 5 spokes are getting very shabby and the car is in pretty good nick, few small blemishes. I have a few small mods planned for it but ideally want ti to be kept imacculate, are there any wheel refurb people you would recommend? Or even someone selling some tidy rims?

I will get round to posting some pictures of it soon, Platinum Ice colour, looks like every other IS200 at the moment!

Cheers, Mark.

doesnt matter what car you have the speedo will always be out compaired to your sat nav.their is a thread somewhere on here about this.

Mine does under read but by about 10%.

Mat - surely wheel size does matter, in the same way tyre size does - unless you compensate for a larger wheel by going lower profile - is that what you were implying?

doesnt matter what car you have the speedo will always be out compaired to your sat nav.their is a thread somewhere on here about this.

Not so true :winky: My BMW 330d was showing 160mph on the way back from Germany the other Year :D Tom Tom sat/nav also said the same :D Mr Lee iceman was next to me at the time, and we was behind Raj in his M3 :winky:

The Lexus reads 5mph fast on mine :o

The rolling circumference of the tyre is what matters. If you have bigger wheels then you normally have lower profile tyres to compensate, keeping the circumference of the wheel about the same.

If you have non-standard-sized tyres on the wheels though, that might have something to do with it. If the car thinks it's going a lot faster than it really is (as in this case), then that could imply that the wheel/tyre combination is smaller than it should be. Of course, there could be other explanations as well.

The car has the standard 215/45R17's on it.

Even if it takes the speed from the gearbox the final drive will still make the overall vehicle speed incorrect.

Before the Lexus I had a Suzuki SJ which had much bigger tyres than standard and made the speedo go way out, I wasn't expecting the same with the Lex!

Most cars as you say have about 10% over reading on the dash, just can;t understand why it is so far out...

Not a common problem then?

Also yes please for the Contact details for Swindon.

Thanks for the help, Mark.

Not so true :winky: My BMW 330d was showing 160mph on the way back from Germany the other Year :D Tom Tom sat/nav also said the same :D Mr Lee iceman was next to me at the time, and we was behind Raj in his M3 :winky:

you had the limiter removed from your bm?

2008 BMW 330d M Sport specifications: (330d Saloon)

0-62mph: 6.1 seconds

Top speed: 155mph

Combined economy: 49.6mpg

Emissions: 152g/km

Kerb weight: 1610kg

www.carenthusiast.com/reviews.html?

Yep had re-map toooo :winky:

Yep had re-map toooo :winky:

nice!!!!! bet it still gives better mpg than the lex!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links