Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where The Heck Is The Tyre Pressure Reset Button...

The manual shows a button to select one of two sets of tyres to monitor for pressure. I've found that in the roof of the passenger foot well of all places.

Now the book says there should be a pressure set button and shows it next to the steering column on a LHD car. Can I find it on a RHD car?

NO!

There is a mysterious hole next to the selector switch in the passenger foot well which looks like it may be designed to hold a switch.

Anyone else got an 06 GS450h and have they found the mystery pressure set button?

Malc

Has the manual only got the button layout for LHD car and not for RHD? How bizarre?! Sorry I can't help further mate but I'm sure a quick call to your dealer would probably sort it :)

The manual shows a button to select one of two sets of tyres to monitor for pressure. I've found that in the roof of the passenger foot well of all places.

Now the book says there should be a pressure set button and shows it next to the steering column on a LHD car. Can I find it on a RHD car?

NO!

There is a mysterious hole next to the selector switch in the passenger foot well which looks like it may be designed to hold a switch.

Anyone else got an 06 GS450h and have they found the mystery pressure set button?

Malc

yes there is one under the steering column, closer to the brake :hehe:

On the same subject i don't know how the tyre pressure monitor works. I just topped up my tyres, should i have reset the system then? How low has the pressure got to be before if warns me?

Nick

Not sure. Chap I spoke to reckons that Mini told him that it worked by comparing the rpm of each wheel and if one was out of kilter compared to the others then the pressure must have varied. Sounds very plausible to me. That way, any variation due to wear or temperature would be taken into account.

BTW, still not found the reset button!!!!! :crybaby:

Malc

Not sure. Chap I spoke to reckons that Mini told him that it worked by comparing the rpm of each wheel and if one was out of kilter compared to the others then the pressure must have varied.

I would've thought going round corners would set it off all the time if they worked that way, but I could be wrong.

The TPMS has a small pressure sensor in each wheel attached to the valve stem. This sends out a signal to the monitoring unit. Each wheel sensor is coded so the unit knows which tyre has low pressure. As far as I am aware the sensors have a fixed pressure when they send out an alrm signal, something like 20psi.

I know what it looks like because I broke the valve stem off when trying to get the metal cap off to check the pressure - instant flat tyre.

The unit is lithium Battery powered and is supposed to last for 10 years. However, the metal valve cap corrodes onto the valve stem within a year or so. Be warned. This is a common fault and it costs over £250 to get a new sensor fitted. I have plastic caps now.

• Like 2

After JCC comments I thought I would check my valves/pressure etc.

Only had the metal caps on since I bought the car 3 months ago and I couldn't get 3 of them off without a spanner!!!!!

Sadly 1 of them was so corroded on it has twisted the first 2mm of threaded end away exposing the bit you normally press in to let air out!!!....has this b*****erd the whole issue or will I be able to get a new valve fitted at my local tyre centre.....................

I to have plastic caps on now :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

• 3 weeks later...
Did anyone find out where it is or if it exists - I have been hunting for this switch on my GS too, but without luck.

Paul

Nope!

I'll ask next time I go to the dealers.

Malc

Did anyone find out where it is or if it exists - I have been hunting for this switch on my GS too, but without luck.

Paul

Would your Lexus dealer not be a good place to start? The service dept. should be able to tell you by phone.

Paul

Nope!

I'll ask next time I go to the dealers.

Malc

hi, u have 1 reset switch under the steering panel cover,closer to the brake padel,this one resets after a tyre repair,and u have a program 1 under the passenger panel.use a light and u will find it :hehe: if not ,then a eye test may needed/lol
  • Like 1

hi, u have 1 reset switch under the steering panel cover,closer to the brake padel,this one resets after a tyre repair,and u have a program 1 under the passenger panel.use a light and u will find it :hehe: if not ,then a eye test may needed/lol

Ah, is it up under the panel? I've been looking on the outside. Found the program one some time ago. This is fun :)

Malc

Hah!!! Found it!

Couldn't actually get my head in a position to see it - had to find it by touch. The pic below was taken with a camera on the floor of the drivers foot-well pointing straight up.

I can die happy :)

med_gallery_26783_649_32122.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/04/2009 at 0:50 PM, JCC said:

The TPMS has a small pressure sensor in each wheel attached to the valve stem. This sends out a signal to the monitoring unit. Each wheel sensor is coded so the unit knows which tyre has low pressure. As far as I am aware the sensors have a fixed pressure when they send out an alrm signal, something like 20psi.

I know what it looks like because I broke the valve stem off when trying to get the metal cap off to check the pressure - instant flat tyre.

The unit is lithium battery powered and is supposed to last for 10 years. However, the metal valve cap corrodes onto the valve stem within a year or so. Be warned. This is a common fault and it costs over £250 to get a new sensor fitted. I have plastic caps now.

I have a friend who runs an independent tyre business here in Northampton (AGH Tyres highly recommended) speaking to him apparently there are systems coming on line that can clone the digital programming information from removed bad lexus (and others) tyre valves & then can be used to reprogramme new after-market valves, i researched it & it looks to me that you would have to be in the tyre business & using it regularly to warrant the cost of the system - unless anyone else here knows different?

I really do not like this system at all - while i accept it can be viewed as an important safety gismo in practice its just an annoying headache for most, if the safety issue is paramount then why are they not a mandatory fit to all vehicles??  

On 28/04/2016 at 6:29 PM, hybridbatterysolutions said:

I have a friend who runs an independent tyre business here in Northampton (AGH Tyres highly recommended) speaking to him apparently there are systems coming on line that can clone the digital programming information from removed bad lexus (and others) tyre valves & then can be used to reprogramme new after-market valves, i researched it & it looks to me that you would have to be in the tyre business & using it regularly to warrant the cost of the system - unless anyone else here knows different?

I really do not like this system at all - while i accept it can be viewed as an important safety gismo in practice its just an annoying headache for most, if the safety issue is paramount then why are they not a mandatory fit to all vehicles??  

They are mandatory fit for all vehicles registered after November 2014!! And if you have a faulty TPMS they WILL give you an advisory on MOT for it since 2015. 

Metal caps are not an issue. I've got metal caps on both cars and my RX I have had for 4 years now. Too many people put them on too tight. They only need very light finger pressure to put on, not a hard twist! You wouldn't put your wheel nuts on with a pneumatic nut runner would you? That's the difference between not getting your nuts off or getting them off and it's the same with valve caps.

To clarify on TPMS. If they are set to 36psi, you DON'T need to reset them each time you fill up with air. 

It only needs resetting if you change tyres or something

Mine are not faulty, i have 2 missing as the previous owner had the tyres changed at an independent outlet, so i have to clear the data every couple of weeks or so when warnings pop up - a real pain - I refuse to pay silly money to have them done at Lexus & will be working on a way to defeat/delete the whole thing and i WILL do it eventually!.

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2016 at 4:45 PM, hybridbatterysolutions said:

Mine are not faulty, i have 2 missing as the previous owner had the tyres changed at an independent outlet, so i have to clear the data every couple of weeks or so when warnings pop up - a real pain - I refuse to pay silly money to have them done at Lexus & will be working on a way to defeat/delete the whole thing and i WILL do it eventually!.

Sorry, I see this is an old thread but I have issues with my sensors as well - can't reset them so I checked the price of the sensor and you are right - silly money!

So going to Lexus you will need to pay for the sensors and then for the wheels re-balanced?!

Does anybody knows how much it cost to do it in Lexus - change all 4 sensors?

Cheers