Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it adviseable to drive in power or economy mode all the time on my Lexus LS400?

What's the concensus? TBH, I am happy to drive around and cruise, rather than join the rat race in the car, it's that sort of lazy drive, for me. Is there any discernable economy difference? My car is too early to have the computer display.

The previous owner advised power - and he is active on this forum, and a good friend - but I wondered, out of curiousity, really, what the feeling of members here was.

Thanks.

Is it adviseable to drive in power or economy mode all the time on my Lexus LS400?

What's the concensus? TBH, I am happy to drive around and cruise, rather than join the rat race in the car, it's that sort of lazy drive, for me. Is there any discernable economy difference? My car is too early to have the computer display.

The previous owner advised power - and he is active on this forum, and a good friend - but I wondered, out of curiousity, really, what the feeling of members here was.

Thanks.

Under hard acceleration, the box changes up at 4000 rpm in economy, 6000rpm in power, I discovered. I'm not sure what the difference is just tootling around

Did the same 200 mile drive with 'pwr etc' on and off. In my opinion, with it on, better driving experience and better fuel economy too - shockingly.

If you don't drive like a rally driver all day long, you'll get good fuel economy with the 'pwr etc' button on, it is also great as when you do need the POWER it is there so fast it leaves you stuck to the seat.

Leave it on.

Did the same 200 mile drive with 'pwr etc' on and off. In my opinion, with it on, better driving experience and better fuel economy too - shockingly.

If you don't drive like a rally driver all day long, you'll get good fuel economy with the 'pwr etc' button on, it is also great as when you do need the POWER it is there so fast it leaves you stuck to the seat.

Leave it on.

OK Power button left on - permanently.

Thanks everyone.

Hi, ive owned my series 3, 95 for about 18 months now and have logged every tank to date. Just curious as its such a large engine and im averaging 17-18 mpg mostly around town with the switch set to ECONOMY. Im going to run her from the next tank on POWER for a few tanks and see what the diff is to mpg.

Never thought to try it before, gota be worth a try.

cheers steve.

Hi, ive owned my series 3, 95 for about 18 months now and have logged every tank to date. Just curious as its such a large engine and im averaging 17-18 mpg mostly around town with the switch set to ECONOMY. Im going to run her from the next tank on POWER for a few tanks and see what the diff is to mpg.

cheers steve.

I will be very interested to hear your results.

There was a thread a while back disussing this too, and the conclusion seemed to be that around town there was not a big differecne and PWR button being on may have even been worse.

But it was better on a long run.

Be sure to keep us posted.

cheers steve.

I will be very interested to hear your results.

There was a thread a while back disussing this too, and the conclusion seemed to be that around town there was not a big differecne and PWR button being on may have even been worse.

But it was better on a long run.

Be sure to keep us posted.

ok will do, have just tanked up today so pwr switch now on. Will give it about a month to do a few tanks and post results.

steve

Have completed my 1st tank on pwr setting and found with the box changing up faster its a much fruitier drive lol.

MPG was 1 mpg lower than previous normal tank, this was in town driving only. Will do a couple more tanks to get an average though

Current thinking is use it for outa town driving or when you want to lose something with four cylinders lol.

cheers steve

I tried the power setting for a couple days and...the light on the dash started doing my head in so I switched it back off again. :)

I have really been interested in this thread as I have wondered the same. My fuel consumption is always about 21mpg and consists of mostly short rural journeys. I do like to accelerate sometimes and also plod. Isn't that what the LS was made for?

Does anyone have any thoughts on which setting to use whilst towing? I would be really grateful.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, have just completed 3 tanks of gas and using the power setting on each.

With normal i regularly get 18.2 mpg

with power i have seen 17.4 mpg .

To be honest theres not much diffrernce when driving although with power the car certainly seems more responsive.

My plan to use normal setting for around town and power for outa town trips.As motorway driving seems to give slightly better mpg.

cheers steve

Hi, have just completed 3 tanks of gas and using the power setting on each.

With normal i regularly get 18.2 mpg

with power i have seen 17.4 mpg .

To be honest theres not much diffrernce when driving although with power the car certainly seems more responsive.

My plan to use normal setting for around town and power for outa town trips.As motorway driving seems to give slightly better mpg.

cheers steve

Most of my driving is rural short to longish trips around the lake district and i average about 23mpg. i always leave it in economy and only switch to power mode when i want to get past something or just have a quick blast. Drove from Sufffolk to Cumbria in the spring at around 70-75 and got 30.22mpg. Well chuffed.

... i always leave it in economy and only switch to power mode when i want to get past something or just have a quick blast.

Sir John

With all due respect, it will accelerate just as fast in either mode, providing your foot is flat down.

- Lord Jellybean

17-18mpg!!! i get around 25 around town.

i honestly thinki have an exeptional car as far as mpg goes as i seem to get a lot more than others! it does much much better mpg than my wifes rx300 and her display averages 19ish around town and 26-28 on a fully loaded run, where mine easy beats those figures.

as for power/economy i only use pwr for overtaking or a bit of fun :D

Hi I am driving mine on power mode now, not worried about economy as i have a gas conversion, cost me £39 for a 650 mile trip to south Germany at 80 to 100 mph. There is a guy doing morreli plug & drive multi point conversions for £1199 any tank you want,based in Chorley lancs, A mate of mine spoke to him & he seems quite clued up. Got to be worth doing at that price , you even get a free loan car, he is advertising on eBay if anyone is intrested.

When i bought the car i promised myself to only to the accelerator with the lightest of feather touches but i just cant do it !!, so that explains my mpg lol. I just drive it like my old golf and hang the expense.

Beautiful cars !!!

steve

Hi. My car is always in power up mode so I have "the force" if I need it. My car runs on LPG and at 51p/lt I don't care much about the little extra gas it might demand.

It's much the same as sport mode on other automatic cars I've had. Using the power switch will have the car shift down much earlier, so a full "kick down" to the floor isn't nessessery. I can, just by feel change down a gear or two.

This gives instant power and the car will hold the gear for as long as you want. If you don't let up on the gas it'll happily pull all the way to the red line. In Eco mode the car will not do this. It'll change as it wants and will never rev all out through the gears but it will reach top speed. The car will just take longer to get there.

Jeff

Hi I am driving mine on power mode now, not worried about economy as i have a gas conversion, cost me £39 for a 650 mile trip to south Germany at 80 to 100 mph. There is a guy doing morreli plug & drive multi point conversions for £1199 any tank you want,based in Chorley lancs, A mate of mine spoke to him & he seems quite clued up. Got to be worth doing at that price , you even get a free loan car, he is advertising on ebay if anyone is intrested.

anymore details? is he certified? he'll have members banging his door down on that price for an 8 injector setup I'd definitely do the 500mile round trip for it.

... i always leave it in economy and only switch to power mode when i want to get past something or just have a quick blast.

Sir John

With all due respect, it will accelerate just as fast in either mode, providing your foot is flat down.

- Lord Jellybean

Interesting what you say about accelerating just as fast in either mode. Mine is definately quicker off the mark in Power mode. If i floor it in economy mode it accelerates quick enough but if i do the same in power mode it turn my luxury cruiser into a beast. Yabadabado!