Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Number Plate Size

Front is standard size. If you want a rear one that fills the space at the back (as I did), then just use a company that will make custom-sized plates, like DemonPlates, and give them the measurements that you want.

Stevie, what size rear plate did you have? I've been on to the Demon Plates site, and you can get a standard large rear plate, which seems a little too big for the IS200, or the custom plates listed, which are nearly as wide as the standard plates.

You're right that their "standard" custom plates aren't the right size. But if you phone up DemonPlates they'll be happy to make you up whatever size of plates you like.

The size that I got made for the rear is 510 x 150mm. This is slightly narrower than the gap and slightly shorter, but a fair bit taller than the standard plates. Looks fine to me.

• 1 year later...

You're right that their "standard" custom plates aren't the right size. But if you phone up DemonPlates they'll be happy to make you up whatever size of plates you like.

The size that I got made for the rear is 510 x 150mm. This is slightly narrower than the gap and slightly shorter, but a fair bit taller than the standard plates. Looks fine to me.

Apologies for digging up an old thread but i don't suppose you have a picture of what your custom sized plate looks like on the back have you.

I'm wanting to order a set of plates from Demon Plates but wanted to see what the size you ordered looks like when fitted to the back of the car.

Cheers

Dave.

Apologies for digging up an old thread but i don't suppose you have a picture of what your custom sized plate looks like on the back have you.

I'm wanting to order a set of plates from Demon Plates but wanted to see what the size you ordered looks like when fitted to the back of the car.

Steve doesn't really come on here any more so thought I'd help out. I have the intermediate size plate, I remember when I bought the IS there were three sizes that dealers seemed to fit, a standard plate, a large plate (that almost fills the gap) and a medium sized plate (which is the one I have). Not sure on it's exact size but I'll measure it for you and let you know. Here's a pic:

199595787.jpg

The standard/UK width of a number plate is 4 or 4.5 inches (can't remember exactly now). If you want a plate that fills up the whole area on the bootlid you need to order a 6 inch width plate- this is what I have on the rear of my IS200.

Steve doesn't really come on here any more so thought I'd help out. I have the intermediate size plate, I remember when I bought the IS there were three sizes that dealers seemed to fit, a standard plate, a large plate (that almost fills the gap) and a medium sized plate (which is the one I have). Not sure on it's exact size but I'll measure it for you and let you know. Here's a pic:

199595787.jpg

Oooops I've just notices he's Banned..... :duh:

Your plate looks just about right It'd be much appreciated having the size. :winky:

Cheers

Dave.

Front is standard size. If you want a rear one that fills the space at the back (as I did), then just use a company that will make custom-sized plates, like DemonPlates, and give them the measurements that you want.

Looked at that site + another one, custom size be interesting but anyone know if other fonts/lettering, numbers are legal? ie wont get stopped/fine by police or mot fail ? i seen some 'german' style font & some other fonts that looks good, there still just as readable & same/smilier size to UK fonts, dont want any stupid 'ghosting' at background or anyting

Sorry this took a while, just measured my rear plate and it's 12.5cm high - not sure what standard plate size is but I think this is only maybe 1 or 1.5cm bigger?

Cheers for that.... Is it the standard width?

Cheers

Dave.

Well typically me i changed my mind again just before i ordered the plates and went for a slightly different size.... In the end i went for 510mm wide by 140mm high. Slightly narrower than a standard plate but it just fills the space nicely all round.

And here they are attached yesterday after putting the reg transfer through.

IMG_0150.jpg

Cheers

Dave.

• 10 years later...

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I've been sat in the office looking at the standard rear plate on my IS250 and thinking how horrible it looks having a standard oblong plate in a shaped recess and that a shaped plate would look nice (especially as my rear plate is looking a bit shabby).

A bit of research reveals an XF Jag plate would appear to fit quite well.

Anyone tried it? 

Link to XF rear plate dimensions: 

https://www.jepsonandco.com/product/20083610t/