Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Powerflushing

Parthiban

Has anyone had their heating system powerflushed and does it work well?

We have a really old heating system that isn't great, but up until recently it's always done a decent enough job with the heating. However, can't remember exactly when now, but all of a sudden most of the radiators upstairs stopped working. Have tried bleeding them and stuff but it hasn't made a difference. Could a powerflush solve this or is it likely to be a bigger problem?

An additional point is that the timing coincided slightly with a radiator upstairs that we removed and simply closed off the pipes - is it possible that being an old system that there was throughflow from this radiator to others, or is that never a possibility?

dont think capping a radiator would cause this problem.

Powerflush do work, we have alot of customers ringing through for no heating and when we send an engineer out there always come back with a requirement of a powerflush, and in nearly occasion it does the job. its expensive thats for sure

An additional point is that the timing coincided slightly with a radiator upstairs that we removed and simply closed off the pipes - is it possible that being an old system that there was throughflow from this radiator to others, or is that never a possibility?

It shouldn't, but there were points in the system in my old place where the rads were installed in "series" rather than in Parallel. Might be worth banging in a straight piece of pipe where the old rad was just to see if it starts to work again. If that is all that is needed, could save on an expensive power flush.

It shouldn't, but there were points in the system in my old place where the rads were installed in "series" rather than in Parallel. Might be worth banging in a straight piece of pipe where the old rad was just to see if it starts to work again. If that is all that is needed, could save on an expensive power flush.

Good point, you could even try feeling the capped ends first, as if you turn a rad off you still get one hot pipe coming to it. Is it worth lifting the floorboards by that rad to see where the pipes go to see if it looks like it's beem plumbed wrong?

If youve got a single pipe system and there is a blockage then it will nto circulate. can you see if the pipes to your rads T off a pipe or is it a single pipe in then out.

have you tried turning downstairs rads off, then see if upstairs heats up.. if so then change your pump in fact may be worth changing in anycase, if still no joy then maybe a flush is needed.

You could go get some heavy duty fernox restorer and stick in the system for 48 hours see if that eats through any blockages..

are the rads hot on top or at the bottom.

BG will charge you 770quids. that price also includes a magnaclean which is a good preventative aftercare.

If its been working before then i doubt the pipes are wrong.

could have disturbed some sludge when you shut the valves off, unlikely but worth a think.

What boiler you got BTW..

I'm pretty sure they T off so that shouldn't be the problem. In any case I've just checked and both pipes off the radiator that's been removed are cold so that means nothing's getting there right?

Shutting all the radiators downstairs doesn't work, and also for some reason the radiators in the two bathrooms upstairs are working perfectly, it's just the rest that aren't working.

The boilers pretty old, it's a Potterton one (Kingfisher I think).

Bathrooms are normally plumbed to work with the water not the heating.

Really? Have to say that actually makes sense (so the towel warmers are still on in the summer) but sadly it's not like that in our house! :shutit:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links