Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharged By Lexus?

We had an event on at the club last night, and as i approached the club there was a nice black Lexus IS200 Sport (Y reg). It had Lazerlight International stickers up the side so i knew it belonged to the company doing the event. Anyhow it was supercharged, and the chap reackons it was done by Lexus, apparently 1 of 6 in the country.

I think he mentioned it had been chipped etc too, not sure in the truth of any of this.

Lexus GB do not officially sell the supercharger kit - in mainland europe you can walk into any toyota/lexus dealer and say " i want a supercharger" and they will be happy to oblidge. So If he is saying he officially ordered it and it was officially fitted by a Uk dealer - then i would be VERY sceptical - ( lying) but you never know ............................. :blink:

other than tony getting his fitted at TTE, my car is the only UK car to have had a supercharger fitted at TTE.

all cars in Germany that wish to have the S/C fitted have to have it done at TTE

THERE WERE 5 CARS SUPERCHARGED BY LEXUS GB

only 2 are still around, these were built at TTE and shipped to the UK in 1998 and stored at Lexus Milton keynes, where they could be tested at the Milbrook proving ground.

none of these cars ever went to private buyers

the 2 that are still in use are at Lexus GB test unit in Redhill, Surrey

the other 3 have all been crashed by eager lexus executives :yawn:

its not possible that he could have an officially S/C uk spec car, they were never procurred because of Homologation rulings .

Technically, my car was the only official UK car Officially supercharged by TTE.

mat

other than tony getting his fitted at TTE, my car is the only UK car to have had a supercharger fitted at TTE.

Technically, my car was the only official UK car Officially supercharged by TTE.

BUT - soon there'll be another ... hey Chris B)

Can i be 1/2 official ?? Huh Huh, please Mat, can i, can i, please, huh, hu, oh go on :duh:

:D :blink: :duh: :duh: :blink: :D

actually not like a turbo really.

a supercharger is constant driven from the engine,(unless an electronic or centrifugal clutch is fitted) the compressor(and there are different types)compress's the air and forces it into the engine, compression can be by several means.....rotating lobes, rotating spiral vanes.

so, supercharger, mechanically driven pump basically

a turbo, is driven by exhaust gases leaving the engine, the gas passes through one half of the turbo and turns an impeller, before travelling down the exhaust pipe.........the turning impella is fixed to a shaft which in turn , turns another impeller, which draws air into the turbo unit, and compress's it ...forcing it into the engine

so, a turbo is driven by exhaust gas

BUT - soon there'll be another ... hey Chris B)

Can i be 1/2 official ?? Huh Huh, please Mat, can i, can i, please, huh, hu, oh go on :duh:

:D :blink: :duh: :duh: :blink: :D

I suppose so Tony never really gave it a thought

heheh sounded a bit geeky mat 

i must admit, i am a bit of a :geek: when it comes to mechanical things .....and lexus

but hey.....someone needs to know how things work, imagine leaving it all to Zee :)

heheh sounded a bit geeky mat 

i must admit, i am a bit of a :geek: when it comes to mechanical things .....and lexus

but hey.....someone needs to know how things work, imagine leaving it all to Zee :)

OK - Zee gets to do mechanicals ...

Harty gets the electrics ... :blink::blink:

Uh Oh ... Run for your lives .... 999 ... which service ... FIRE ... :D

you all make me laugh!!!

I personally like the techy bits as its hard to find that sort of info for our motor!

Also, its good to see that we have some very technically competant people here who can help out - top dollar too you!

Anyone have any power/torque curves for the IS200?

actually not like a turbo really.

a supercharger is constant driven from the engine,(unless an electronic or centrifugal clutch is fitted) the compressor(and there are different types)compress's the air and forces it into the engine, compression can be by several means.....rotating lobes, rotating spiral vanes.

so, supercharger, mechanically driven pump basically

a turbo, is driven by exhaust gases leaving the engine, the gas passes through one half of the turbo and turns an impeller, before travelling down the exhaust pipe.........the turning impella is fixed to a shaft which in turn , turns another impeller, which draws air into the turbo unit, and compress's it ...forcing it into the engine

so, a turbo is driven by exhaust gas

Whilst youre in the mood, can you please explain what chipping is and what does it offer in terms of performance on say a standard IS200.

Whilst youre in the mood, can you please explain what chipping is and what does it offer in terms of performance on say a standard IS200.

"Chipping"...? That'll be Lexus' cr@ppy paintwork! :lol::lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist that :P Ok... the guys will be along in a mo to give a proper reply :)

Hmm, let's see if i can help out here ....

Engine management computers decide how much fuel to inject into the engine and when to generate the spark to ignite it based on inputs from various sensors. These could be in areas such as exhaust gas, coolant temperature, inlet manifold pressure, turbo boost pressure, engine speed and so the list goes on.

It's like a big 'look up' table. So the ecu might say ...

Exhaust gas reading is 'A', Coolant temperature 'B', Engine running at 'C' rpm.

So according to my look up table i must ....

Open injectors for 'X' milliseconds + generate spark at 'Y' deg before piston reaches top of stroke.

This 'look up' table or 'map' is the heart of 'chipping'. The 'chipper' replaces the standard 'map' with a different one. Standard maps are normally a compromise of performance and economy / emissions. Chipping would generally aim to tilt the balance in favour of performance.

Some maps are on a memory chip and can be replaced with a custom one - hence 'chipping'. If this isn't possible, a supplementary computer (piggyback ecu) is used - such as the 'unichip'. These wrap around the stock ecu and alter it's inputs and outputs as required to achieve the required effect. Taking IS200 as an example, TDI use a unichip to achieve a modest power increase AND reduce fuel consumption ... Blimey :blink:

As for supercharger 'chips', the earlier kits contain a small black box. This intercepts the manifold pressure signal before it reaches the ecu which expects to see a vacuum as air is drawn in but would see positive pressure as the supercharger forces air through instead ...

Well wouldn't you be confused if expecting to suck but getting blown instead :sick:

Later kits have a larger silver box which does a similar job but provides additional protection from fuel cut off - to protect cat converters from meltdown apparently.

That's my rather simplistic view of things - hope it helps :unsure:

There are much cleverer people here who can elaborate i'm sure :blush: