Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok Everyone!

I posted on the forum back in August 07 about getting a LS430 but bought another Alfa 166 instead, bit different but a still left field choice. Any way I really want a Lexus and seems only the LS will do. I obviously couldn't afford to buy a new LS as may be the case with many on here. The LS represents huge value for money but can I afford the upkeep? An Alfa 166 is not a cheap car to run, but even so it's much more reliable than one may imagine, this is my 3rd and have had few problems in 5 years. I just fancy a change and something less sporting. Sheffield roads are notoriously bad and the firm suspension is tiring.

Anyway my budget is 10 - 12K and I reckon I should be able to get an average mileage facelift 430. I have to consider the sixe of the car as I have permit street parking and no drive, but I believe the turning circle is 5mt compared to the Alfa's 10! Petrol not really a problem as the Alfa combined is about 29 so can I get the claimed 25 combined on the 430, if so not too bad.

I will obviously only buy with a full Lexus history and prod all the buttons, make sure it all works. Is there anything I really should look out for, suspension say or the problem I've read recently about the rear aircon.

Are there other Lexus owners out there who should have bought a Honda Accord but got the Lexus anyway, what have you experienced? I realise this is a big shout but I hope someone will share their views!

Thanks

Nick

seriously mate do it, you will never look back, as u said check all the buttons e.t.c but really nothing goes wrong with these motors, also what do you mean about the honda accord statement at the bottom?

seriously mate do it, you will never look back, as u said check all the buttons e.t.c but really nothing goes wrong with these motors, also what do you mean about the honda accord statement at the bottom?

Well I'm a petrol head, I love cars and the LS430 seems like a big, glorious, comfortable example. As I said I couldn't afford a new LS so for 12K I could get a newer Honda Accord, Alfa 159 so on, which would possibly be cheaper to run. I'm aware this is not such an issue for everyone on here but a consideration for me.

I only recently bought my LS400 but one of the reasons (other than the irrational "wow" factor after driving it) was I have had a bit of bad luck with a couple of cars recently and my choice really was Jaguar S Type V8 or LS400 and my friend and local garage proprietor said "get the Lexus, you need something reliable, even with your luck that won't break"

:rolleyes:

But I think he's right.

On my third LS and have never found it to be an expensive car for up-keep and is totally reliable.

I have never had one issue with any of the three. My current LS430 has 110,000 miles on the clock and is still like new.

People often comment when they sit in how 'like new' it is.

Silent, comfortable, powerful, reliable and under stated.

When you have one, the novelty never wears off, I assure you.

Ok Everyone!

I posted on the forum back in August 07 about getting a LS430 but bought another Alfa 166 instead, bit different but a still left field choice. Any way I really want a Lexus and seems only the LS will do. I obviously couldn't afford to buy a new LS as may be the case with many on here. The LS represents huge value for money but can I afford the upkeep? An Alfa 166 is not a cheap car to run, but even so it's much more reliable than one may imagine, this is my 3rd and have had few problems in 5 years. I just fancy a change and something less sporting. Sheffield roads are notoriously bad and the firm suspension is tiring.

Anyway my budget is 10 - 12K and I reckon I should be able to get an average mileage facelift 430. I have to consider the sixe of the car as I have permit street parking and no drive, but I believe the turning circle is 5mt compared to the Alfa's 10! Petrol not really a problem as the Alfa combined is about 29 so can I get the claimed 25 combined on the 430, if so not too bad.

I will obviously only buy with a full Lexus history and prod all the buttons, make sure it all works. Is there anything I really should look out for, suspension say or the problem I've read recently about the rear aircon.

Are there other Lexus owners out there who should have bought a Honda Accord but got the Lexus anyway, what have you experienced? I realise this is a big shout but I hope someone will share their views!

Thanks

Nick

Could I offer a spanner in the works? Have you thought about the latest model GS300? Sheffield Lexus have one within your price range. Since owning one of these I have never looked back, a wonderful car!

Hi

My ls is the best car ive owned & ive owned a lot. Put it this way I have no idea of what I would replace it with, go for it, if you dont like it you can always sell it ( but I doubt you will )

Welcomefellow sheffielder. Where abouts in Sheffield are you?

Thanks for all the replys, an active forum is always a cool sign, I'm in Hunters Bar, hence residential permit parking!!!

The LS430 is a lot of car, with your budget you will also get a lot of car.

Like all cars you have to factor in maintenance, and with this class of car IF anything goes wrong its going to cost. For me the Lexus factor lowers the IF factor compared with Jag, Merc, BMW etc.

Personally with the LS I think a lot of it is just luck - you could have problems with a 50k 4 year old model as you could with a 100k 8 year old model. The engine is largely bullet proof - so big costs you are looking at sundries such as 'air con', starter motors, alternators, brakes, power steering. Also cam belt change at 100k - may be cheaper to buy a 100k car than an 80k car.

I'd be tempted to buy older and cheaper and put the rest of the money in the bank, 'just' in case - I bet over the life of the car you will not spend the money and you will save a on depreciation as well. You could also use the money for an LPG conversion which will pay for itself.

I've just bought a 100k 8 year old for £6k, drives like new, I can't see how a few years less model could be any better (well apart from the reversing camera thing on newer models).

The reversing camera really does come in handy and has probably saved me two bumpers already. The Bluetooth is good and the headlights are quite cool when you steer at night as they help you to see round bends. I'm not that keen on the six speed gearbox as it sometimes feels as though it has more gears than it knows what to do with, but the traffic re-routing on the satnav is very usefull. Just my two bob's worth.

agreed the camera saved a girl last week, drove in2 a carpark, put it into reverse and could hear bleeping thought nothing of it as we were in a tight area. looked in the camera and there was a kid climbing on to the rear of the car.

off topic i know sorry. but yeh, refering to the accord, we have an 03 one of them and obviously they are totally different cars, the LS is just so powerfull smooth and refined.

Ok Everyone!

Thanks

Nick

Could I offer a spanner in the works? Have you thought about the latest model GS300? Sheffield Lexus have one within your price range. Since owning one of these I have never looked back, a wonderful car!

MMMMM looks nice, but if i bought a GS would I always be thinking what is the LS like?

Ok Everyone!

Thanks

Nick

MMMMM looks nice, but if i bought a GS would I always be thinking what is the LS like?

YES, for sure.

They are different cars. The GS is super car, for sure. But the new GS still is not an LS.

The LS has that special something.

Drive both, you'll see what I mean.

Also fuel economy if driven softly might be better on the LS.

Ok Everyone!

Thanks

Nick

YES, for sure.

They are different cars. The GS is super car, for sure. But the new GS still is not an LS.

The LS has that special something.

Drive both, you'll see what I mean.

Also fuel economy if driven softly might be better on the LS.

What in mpg the LS could be better than a GS if driven softly? I see the 3.0GS is 29MPG combined and the LS 24MPG, or are you comparing the GS430. I am calling in at Lexus tomorrow to take a peek at the GS. Incidentally my street is full of Greens. A 430LS would be the biggest and largest engined car on the street, I would be battling out with a Nissan Navaro which id slightly longer. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I think the running cost on the LS and GS would be similar, no?

I've got near 38mpg on a long run, which in the GS forum is unheard of. However hear on the LS forum it seems common enough for cruise control set at 80mph and smooth driving for a few hours.

No other proof.

Erm, I beg to differ: Proof http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...mp;#entry651991

-this was a combined total after a drive out of Sheffield.

Anyway, this is by the by. Drive both cars, it's the only way to know which car you could live with, you could probably live with either! Both the GS and LS offer exclusivity, comfort and enjoyment.

I'm passionate about the GS and I would not hesitate to recommend you buy one, or an LS,.... :lol: .......just face it, whatever you decide, it's the right choice.

I have to agree on the fuel economy, the economy on my dads MKIV LS400 is better than on my V6 Camry (not too dissimilar a comparison against an LS and GS)

Previous post disproved the 'theory'. :huh:

Thanks for the response re MPG.

I must say, that is news to me.

I was thinking of changing from my LS to the GS / GS hybrid some time ago and asked on the GS forum re fuel economy.

People were saying in general that mid twenties was very good and early thirties are almost unheard of.

I can't find that thread though, so no no proof.

However the point must be made that if you're driving a 3l or 4.3l fuel economy is a bit of moo point.

Well I did indeed go to Sheffield Lexus and have a look at a GS. I think maybe I would be better off with a GS, it's certainly smaller. The car advertised was away having some work done to it so I sat in a new one and was extremely inpressed. The build quality seems very high and I liked the overall look and feel of the car. Also a 3lt would I think be better for me. I have also located a slightly less mileage model only a few miles away so having a look tomorrow.

I will still hace to drive the two for comparison.

Nick

Do it. Buy the LS430.

I just did 5 weeks ago, so my experience is limited but up to now I've no regrets the car is awesome!

I paid 10k for a 2001 model on 45,000m with full service history. Don't avoid the early model with the 5 speed gearbox it's as faultless as an auto can be.

The real fuel 'economy' in Manchester traffic is 21 mpg but on the motorway it's 28 mpg, that’s the down side. The up side is the effortless performance, once you've experienced it you won't want to do without it, and like many things in life you get what you pay for!

Previous car was an S Class Merc, but it was rusting away in the rain, the LS430 is from a different planet.

I talked to a man sitting in a 2001 LS430, the car was immaculate; he'd had the car from new and put 118k on the clock. Had any problems? "No"

Take your time looking, and when the 'right one' comes along snap it up, or somebody else will.