Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Servicing And Brake Overhaul Cost - Good Deal?

Hi guys

Got this quote from a local garage (I use for MOTs), is it a good/value for money deal?

Lexus IS200 Sport 2002, 105K milage:

1. Full service estimated @ £150 inclusive of parts/filters, fluid,

oils & labour

This price excludes iridium spark plug renewal - If the

plugs are to be renewed an additional £37.50 labour plus parts will

be added.

2. Cambelt (full) kit replacement - Labour 3hrs = £150 + parts @ £155

3. Front brake disc & pads - Labour 1.5hrs = £75 + parts ( 2x £65

brake discs & £34.95 brake pads)

4. Rear brake disc & pads - Labour 1.5hrs = £75 + parts ( 2x £50

brake discs & £29.95 brake pads)

(please note all prices exclude VAT)

Thanks

B

seems a tad expensive. Lexus will do the cambelt for £299 all in.

nominal service (what mileage service is this?) is not that high, even at lexus sometimes?

Cambelt at private garage is around the £230-250 mark usually, though some people here have found less. The parts are about £120 as can get a kit.

bluey70

Did you take a look at JEM in Colindale (not far from Harrow) as I suggested in my reply to your other post? Their rates seem reasonable compared to main dealer prices.

Got a quote from Jems

1. Full service: £209.99

2. Cambelt change: £250

3. Tensioner change: £65 (if required)

4: Idler change: £55(if required)

5. Front brake disc/pads: £256.54

6: Rear brake disc/pads: 241.60

inclusive of parts, labour and VAT!

Lexus Twickenham quoted £570inc for full service and just cambelt change.

Got a quote from Jems

Still loadsa money.. :whistling:

I hadn't realised that JEMS price for the cambelt change didn't include the tensioner and idler. I think it's worth getting them both changed in any case tbh.

If you do use JEMS I'd be interested to know what you thought of them as I'm planning to use them in August for my 60k service and cambelt change.

Got a quote from Jems

Discs and pads (all round) is expensive IMHO. Why don't you buy Mintex discs/pads from ebay/local motor factors and change them yourself? Otherwise take the parts you have bought to a garage and just pay the garage the labour for fitting the parts.

Got a quote from Jems

Discs and pads (all round) is expensive IMHO. Why don't you buy Mintex discs/pads from ebay/local motor factors and change them yourself? Otherwise take the parts you have bought to a garage and just pay the garage the labour for fitting the parts.

Yes, am thinking of getting the service/cambelt changed by the pros and doing the brakes myself - last time I got my hands this dirty was changing disc, pads and calipers on my then (10+ yrs ago) Nova 1.4 SR. How long would the job take, as I need to do the job on a public road?

• 3 weeks later...
Got a quote from Jems

I hadn't realised that JEMS price for the cambelt change didn't include the tensioner and idler. I think it's worth getting them both changed in any case tbh.

If you do use JEMS I'd be interested to know what you thought of them as I'm planning to use them in August for my 60k service and cambelt change.

Got car back from JEM servicing and timing belt change - needed tensioner and idler replacing as well. Car running a lot better - possible better mpg. They also returned the car washed inside and out.

Got a quote from Jems

Got car back from JEM servicing and timing belt change - needed tensioner and idler replacing as well. Car running a lot better - possible better mpg. They also returned the car washed inside and out.

Glad you got your car done ok, i take it you were pleased with Jem's service?

My car needs a service and I'm taking it to JEM soon, although I'm supplying the parts (filter and oils).

I'm hoping to supply spark plugs and engine oil for my 60k service, haven't spoken to JEMS yet but assume they'll be ok with that. Will get them to supply and fit new cambelt, tensioner and idler.

I'm hoping to supply spark plugs and engine oil for my 60k service, haven't spoken to JEMS yet but assume they'll be ok with that.

They were perfectly fine with me asking them to do a non-standard service, changing some specific things and leaving others that I've already done, and also fine with me supplying parts.

Make sure you tell them you're a LOC Gold member, they give a parts discount.

Make sure you tell them you're a LOC Gold member, they give a parts discount.

Thanks for that, I didn't know they gave discounts.

I didn't know till I asked, it's always worth checking. It doesn't help me because I'm supplying the parts (which I got at a very good price anyway, oils from Opie Oils), but good if it helps others.

They were perfectly fine with me asking them to do a non-standard service, changing some specific things and leaving others that I've already done, and also fine with me supplying parts.

If they are doing a non standard service did you ask if they will the still stamp your service book?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links