Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do I Have A Sticky Caliper Or Wheel Balancing Issue?

Symptoms:

1. Between approx 40-55mph, i get serious wheel wobble. Below and above this speed range i don't get anything. This to me smacks of wheel balancing being off.

2. I have an auto. Usually, with my foot off the gas and brake, i creep forward very slowly. Lately i've noticed a noise like a "scraping", where the car creeps forward when im stationary and in gear, but very slowly. At times i won't hear any noise, and i won't creep forward at all. This to me smacks of a sticky caliper.

3. On braking from very low speeds (approx 5mph or less) to stand still, i get quite a strong pull to the left. This again smacks of a sticky caliper.

Anyone got any idea what this could be? Im thinking just to go get wheels balanced first, then have my dealer check for sticking calipers. Not sure what else it could be?

Thanks to any and all who can shed light, or offer thoughts.

If you had just had number 1 as your symptom, I would have said wheel balancing. But with 2 and 3 it sounds like a sticky caliper to me, and I would have that checked first if I was you. Do you notice more brake dust on one wheel ? Can you tell if the scraping is from the front or rear ? Try feeling (but carefully !) to see if one caliper is hot after driving.

The scraping is definitely from the front, almost certainly (judging from where the sound is coming from) the driver side.

I will give the wheels a good cleaning and then check out for brake dust.

Cheers guys

If the amount of brake dust doesn't give away which side may be sticking, throw the jack under your motor and spin the front wheels by hand and see how much resistance you get

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links