Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Spark Plugs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just a case of installing the new plugs (IK20;s) or do i have to reset the EUC, bearing in mind that the current plugs in my car are SK20's. If so where do I find it?

Yes, ideally you want to reset the ECU, to speed up the re-learning of fuel mixtures etc. Instructions to reset the ECU are here.

Without asking the obvious, do I pull the ECU fuses after I change over to the new plugs(but before I start up), or before I remove the old ones?

makes no difference

On the IK20 Denso box it refers to Ultra Fine 0.4 mm iridium. Are the gaps preset, or will they require adjustment?

Sorry guys........

Regarding the ECU reset David, it doesn't really matter exactly when you do it, as Rob said. In fact, you don't *have* to do it at all. But it's recommended that you do (if I was you I'd do it as the last thing after finishing installing the new plugs, just before you turn the car on to check it fires up ok etc), to speed up the re-learning process so the ECU can get the right mixture etc going.

Regarding the ECU reset David, it doesn't really matter exactly when you do it, as Rob said. In fact, you don't *have* to do it at all. But it's recommended that you do (if I was you I'd do it as the last thing after finishing installing the new plugs, just before you turn the car on to check it fires up ok etc), to speed up the re-learning process so the ECU can get the right mixture etc going.

Thanks Stevie.

i doubt it if it would do any harm resetting the ecu

Hi everyone.

I have just removed the air intake and in order to get to the spark plugs. I have removed 1 of the coils and have used a 16 mm plug socket, however the plug just seems to be constantly tight, no matter which way I turn it. Has anyone had this problem, or am I doing something wrong????

By the way, have you seen my walkthrough on changing the spark plugs, here ?

Even though the old spark plug may appear to be very tight, this is probably to do with the fact that it's been in there and subject to all the high stresses of the engine constantly firing etc. Resist the temptation to do the new one up again just as tight, only do it up to the correct torque setting, which is in my walkthrough.

The plugs can be very tight. Are you using a socket set with a handle ? i.e. are you gettting some leverage ?

They unscrew in the usual direction, i.e. anti-clockwise, but may be stiff till you can get it started.

If you are not sure, try a different one and then come back to the stubborn one.

Thanks Stevie,

I guess that I simply was giving it enough, as they are all now out. I have to say that I would have thought they would have looked rough bearing in mind that they have been in for nearly 60,000 miles, but they didn't. The new one's are in place, but the hours of darkness caught up and and as such I'll finish putting everything back in the morning.....

No more questions.....I promise :winky:

I have now put everything back together, and completed the ECU fuse removal and replacement. The car started first time and seems far more responsive. Really pleased!!!

Thanks to all who took time to offer advice.....

thought the correct gap was 1.1mm (0.043inch)? According to manual? Not 0.4mm?

Ah, just re-read, I think the 0.4mm is the tip size or something - doh!