Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I picked up my car on Saturday and it appeared rattle free but yesterday when I drove to work in the morning there is a rattle that seems to be coming from either the drivers seat, door or seatbelt casing. It only rattles when going over uneven surfaces.

Interestingly when I drove the car later on the same morning when the outside temperature had risen and the car was warm the rattle completely dissapeared so it seems that once the car (not engine) has warmed up and whatever was causing the rattle has expanded it stops.

I assume various owners have had the same problem and was wondering if anyone has any tricks to fix this ?

• 1 month later...
couldnt say for sure if its the same one, some days it was there others not, never noticed if it was temp related

I think most of the IS250 dash and trim rattles are temperature related in my experience. Most dealers know about them and how to fix them though, so I'd pop down to your dealer. In my case, Derby were excellent...

I picked up my car on Saturday and it appeared rattle free but yesterday when I drove to work in the morning there is a rattle that seems to be coming from either the drivers seat, door or seatbelt casing. It only rattles when going over uneven surfaces.

Interestingly when I drove the car later on the same morning when the outside temperature had risen and the car was warm the rattle completely dissapeared so it seems that once the car (not engine) has warmed up and whatever was causing the rattle has expanded it stops.

I assume various owners have had the same problem and was wondering if anyone has any tricks to fix this ?

If its from the door seatbelt area try a small bit of tape around chrome door latch in door jam .Cant remember who posted this fix but it works for me on my very bumpy access road to house .About 4 /5 turns of insulating tape tightly wound around outer part of "U" does the trick.

The insulating tape fix post was mine. I am pleased to see that it has worked for others too. Duck tape can also work, and lasts longer, but requires more care if you want it to look neat.

The insulating tape fix post was mine. I am pleased to see that it has worked for others too. Duck tape can also work, and lasts longer, but requires more care if you want it to look neat.

Interesting. I occassionally get a rattle in the general area of the door pillar - not bad enough or persistent enough to really bother me, so I've never bothered to try and get to the bottom of it.

Are you saying that the cause of the rattle (in your case at least) was a slightly loose door latch?

Cheers.

Interesting. I occassionally get a rattle in the general area of the door pillar - not bad enough or persistent enough to really bother me, so I've never bothered to try and get to the bottom of it.

Are you saying that the cause of the rattle (in your case at least) was a slightly loose door latch?

Cheers.

I think the problem is one caused by there being too much play there, ie the posts are fractionally smaller or thinner than they should be. Apparently it is also a known problem with the Lotus Elise.

I think the problem is one caused by there being too much play there, ie the posts are fractionally smaller or thinner than they should be. Apparently it is also a known problem with the Lotus Elise.

Cheers. It's also good to know we're in such distinguished company. LOL.

• 1 month later...

I've had the dreaded creak around the seatbelt housing for the 18 months I've had the car. It's been into Lexus twice but they can't fix it.

I fixed it only the other day by jamming a small piece of folded up cardboard in the corner of the door frame where the black seal is.

Basically it "tightens" the seal. Now all I need to tell Lexus is how to fix it permanently so I don't have to wedge it in each time and it falls out when I open the door !

Well, my door rattle got worse, the tape around the door catch helped but did not cure. I phoned Lexus Cambridge and when I went out with a technician the first thing he noticed was the dashboard rattle. He said they had a fix for the dashboard but this required taking the whole dash out so the car would need to be booked in. I was very impressed with this level of service as they volunteered this without me even mentioning the dash rattle. He also heard the door rattle.

The car was booked in last Friday, I picked up my courtesy car and around 8 hours later I had a call saying my car was ready.

The car is now totally rattle free :D

The door rattle was due to the entire locking barrel which was slightly loose, and this was refitted on both the driver and passenger door. The dash was also refitted as per a known Lexus fix.

Fingers crossed that the car will now stay rattle free but I cannot fault the service I have received.

On another note I am also happy with my MPG, most of my driving is totally urban being located in London and I am getting around 32 to 34mpg.

When I have travelled on a longer journey I am getting between 38 - 43 MPG.

where was your dash rattle? and was your door rattle from/around the actual door latch/handle area?

The dash rattle seemed to be mainly from around the speaker in the centre of the dash, although this rattle would come and go with varying degrees of loudness. Sometimes I could push against the speaker and it would eliminate the rattle other times it would not.

The door was around the locking pin area and as stated they removed and refitted the entire locking barrel.

I am now very happy with the car. the only small issue I still have is the vibrating rear view mirror at speed or when the stereo is on loud.