Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seat Exeo V Lexus Is220d Se

I bought the printed copy of the magazine in which this comparison appeared and in the same issue Auto Express published results of their "Driver Power 2009" survey of more than 20,000 car owners. The current model Lexus IS was the winner in the compact executive class whereas the old model Audi A4 was placed 66 out of 100. The old model Lexus IS was placed first for both reliability and build quality. Lexus came second in the manufacturer's league table whereas Seat was 22 out of 35.

While the results of all surveys are open to question, this one is presumably based upon feedback from a cross-section of actual owners whereas the Seat/Lexus comparison was written by a journalist who might have very different requirements from those in the target market for this type of car. This must be one reason why expensive and exotic cars which are often too temperamental for everyday use are generally rated highly by journalists whereas reliable, well built cars are considered by them to be boring. If you ask owners of more everyday cars for an honest opinion practical concerns such as reliability will be among their main concerns which, to be fair to journalists, are difficult qualities to judge simply on the basis of a test drive.

I agree with Roger, generally I will read the journalists reviews but make my own judgement. When I was looking at the IS220D What Car stated "The Lexus lacked refinement", Honest Johns review stated "The Lexus is one of the most refined cars in its class".

I have owned Seats previously and whilst I liked the car I moved over to Audi as I wanted a more classy cabin, I have just changed from an Audi A3 to my Lexus and in my opinion its another step up in class over the Audi. Others will disagree but at the end of the day your the driver and the only opinion that counts is your own.

The comparison is a bit ridiculous. You can't compare cars in different market segments like they have done. If you are after a Seat you won't consider a Lexus, and if your intention is to buy a Lexus, Seat won't be an alternative in your list.

The comparison is a bit ridiculous. You can't compare cars in different market segments like they have done. If you are after a Seat you won't consider a Lexus, and if your intention is to buy a Lexus, Seat won't be an alternative in your list.

I agree and even more ridiculous was the comparison in the 1st October 2008 issue of Auto Express between a Lexus IS250SE-L and the Cadillac CTS 3.6!!

I've been a fan of Honest John's for a long time, he's what his name implies and imo has no hidden agenda.

Agree with lots of the comments so far. The Seat Exeo, being a revamped A4, should be a reliable motor but unless I've missed something unlike the Audi it's not available as an auto in petrol or diesel.

We all know the motoring journalist's have a difficult task having to come up with road test comparisons week after week that's why some of cars they compare suggest they are grasping at straws in an effort to fill a few pages.

The result is of a negative nature as the article is not given any credence by the reader, a bit like the Sunday Sport, you wouldn't dream of buying it, but worth a flick through at the newsagents.

I agree and even more ridiculous was the comparison in the 1st October 2008 issue of Auto Express between a Lexus IS250SE-L and the Cadillac CTS 3.6!!

Yep both ridiculous tests, no way would someone looking at buying a Lexus also look at a Seat - I am a big fan of the CTS but even that is silly, the caddy is massive, it's the same size as a GS almost!

I would consider one, I used to own an Audi A4 S-Line 1.8T 190, which was the best car I've ever had. The Seat Exeo 2.0T is very likely better than that; it's got a newer, more powerful engine, the improved interior from the A4 cab and updated suspension. If I was buying today I'd look at one of those bad boys. Certainly my A4 rode and handled better than my IS250, which is OK but has comparatively jittery handling with little feel through the wheel. Also the turbo engine was amazing, pulling from 1750 rpm all the way to past 5000 rpm, I could always accelerate, any gear, any revs. In fact the more I think about it the more I remember how good these cars are, the control layout and ergonomics are top drawer and the seats are amazingly supportive.

Also considering how bad the IS220d's engine and gearbox are (I chopped my IS220d in for the IS250 when I realised that you needed a crowbar to get it into 1st and 2nd and a magnifying glass to locate the power band) the 2.0TDI Exeo is probably miles better considering the good reviews that this latest VW group engine has had.

Plus I doubt the dashboard rattles...

I thought the Exeo was an interesting development, being the old A4, I just really don't like what they've done the front end, which a shame because otherwise I think it look pretty smart inside and out. I've always liked the previous A4.

That review goes to show one thing - rear wheel drive is overhyped in a lot of cases. Sure in a 300bhp+ performance car it's pretty much required, but on normal family cars, a good FWD chassis can be a better drive.

I have the IS200 and don't know if it handles better or worse than the IS250, but it certainly has a lot less grip than the MG ZS180 I had beforehand, and the steering is nowhere near as precise. Ride quality is in a different league though on the Lexus.

Well. I think we shouldn't assume that because it says "SEAT" it can't be compared to a Lexus. Remember? The old A4 beat the IS in some tests even though it's older design, and EXEO is just A4 with new dash, newer engine, so all intent and purpose it is still the old A4.

All Audi's are exceptionally made, and the old A4 was as solid as any Audi. I drove one a few times when I worked in France. When it comes to Turbo and diesel technology, Audi and BMW are streets and streets ahead. So I actually expect the Exeo to be technically very good compared to the IS220d. Hardly any road noise, good engine and very good solid ride, steering and feel. That is how I recall the A4 2.0 TDi from 2005.

Well. I think we shouldn't assume that because it says "SEAT" it can't be compared to a Lexus. Remember? The old A4 beat the IS in some tests even though it's older design, and EXEO is just A4 with new dash, newer engine, so all intent and purpose it is still the old A4.

All Audi's are exceptionally made, and the old A4 was as solid as any Audi. I drove one a few times when I worked in France. When it comes to Turbo and diesel technology, Audi and BMW are streets and streets ahead. So I actually expect the Exeo to be technically very good compared to the IS220d. Hardly any road noise, good engine and very good solid ride, steering and feel. That is how I recall the A4 2.0 TDi from 2005.

I agree technically they can be compared, like you could compare a Mondeo with a BMW for example. The point is though, is this comparison going to be useful to anyone? As I said earlier, if you want to buy a Lexus but decide you don't like it, your next choice is going to be a BMW or a Merc or something in that range. It is most likely not going to be a Seat.

Moreover, technically the figures of the 220d are quite a bit better than the EXEO (including fuel consumption relative to the engine's power), but it does not suprise me that the gearbox lets the Lexus down (the biggest problem with this car). However, apart from that, in favour of the Lexus you have the premium badge, the better interior (IMHO, although the old A4 was good), the car looks miles better from the outside... all of which seem to be ignored by the reviewer.

That review goes to show one thing - rear wheel drive is overhyped in a lot of cases. Sure in a 300bhp+ performance car it's pretty much required, but on normal family cars, a good FWD chassis can be a better drive.

I have the IS200 and don't know if it handles better or worse than the IS250

It's obviously a very personal thing, but after driving RWD now for quite a while, I really hate the feeling from FWD - ok a really good one is a different story but a mediocre RWD car will always feel a lot better than pretty much any FWD car (to me anyway)

The IS250 definitely handles a lot better than the IS200, it's far more balanced whereas the IS200 has a tendency to understeer unless you chuck it into a corner just right, but the IS200 has more of a connected feel to it.

As above, the question here is not about a technical comparison, but no one of sound mind would even consider buying a Seat if they wanted a Lexus or vice versa............possibly a used Lexus against a new Seat, but it's still not a like for like comparison.

If you start looking at a Lexus/Audi/BMW/Merc the image is part of the deal, and a Seat just simply isn't there........

just been reading the good, bad and ugly

All i can say is my IS220d has been 10.10 - no rattles, no mirror issues, no injection issues,

Car serviced all the time at Lexus and i love it! Quick on the M25 using 6th average 38.9 AVG MPG and i the cooling seats are great. I have just dropped back my 07 Beamer 320d M and its been a pain, so many issues including a cleaning bill for my drive of 200 quid for dropped oil.

I know so people have had issues with the old IS but so far its been great!

The "IS" is the Claudis schiffer and the Seat Exeo looks like "katie price" All upfront, plastic and reworked model.

I was surprised to read this comparison as both cars do appear to be in different segments. I would suggest that this is not a 'like-for-like' comparison - but I think the point that may have been made is that a cheaper segment car has a sweeter engine and better driving dynamics than a premium segment car, like the Lexus...

With eh Japanese backing Hybrid, I can't see them producing a decent diesel engine to rival the Germans TBH.