Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Sport Struggling To Start - Help!

Hi everyone,

I've had my IS200 Sport for over 5 years now and it's been good as gold to me. Never had a problem till last week - the car would not start.

Had the RAC out as I'm not too hot under the hood and he said it needed a new Battery. The Battery was original (my car is a 51 plate), so I purchased a new calcium Battery. Convinced that problem was resolved, my car is still struggling to start. It does'nt happen all the time, only say once every few day's or so (this was happening before I changed the battery).

When the Battery died my car sounded like a machine gun firing when I turned the key to start (no engine noise). Since I've changed the Battery it does not make that noise. It just sounds as if it's struggling to wake up (there is engine noise but it doesnt kick in for 7 or 8seconds).

Hope this makes sense! Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Adrian

Extra info:

Current miles is 57000

My last service was at 52000 (1 year ago) > I don't do a lot of mileage. Maybe a service is needed.

Welcome. Might be worth changing the plugs if they haven't been done. Do you know when they were last changed ? Perhaps they've never been changed and they're the original plugs ?

I don't quite get the bit about the machine gun noise when the Battery died though. That sounds like you're describing the starter motor going without turning over the engine, but if the Battery died it would just turn over very slowly if at all. I'm probably misunderstanding though.

Thanks for the advice on the plugs. Have'nt the foggiest when they were last changed. I will check the service history details to see if that sheds any light.

The machine gun thing was probably my poor description. It sounds like you say about no engine noise but the starter motor going, which has been resolved since I have a new Battery.

Now it's really slow for the engine to get started. It starts to turn over but takes a few secs to kick in. I will look into the plugs suggestion though > thank you.

The OEM plugs are normally changed after 6 years or 60K miles, whichever comes first. So you may well be on the original plugs and with them getting on a bit now. The plugs are easy to change yourself, I did a walkthrough on it in the Workshop section, I recommend the Denso IK20 plugs.

That rapid clicking (machine gun fire) you hear when the Battery is dead or dying is the solenoid on the starter engaging the flywheel. As there's not enough power to engage the solenoid and turn the starter motor, it rapidly extends and retracts.

So it's nothing to worry about then?? I'm going to get the plugs changed as Steviewievie suggests. Do you think that will sort this issue of my IS200 not starting up as it should, as I have already changed the Battery for a new one?

Thanks for that info though! Ive learnt more today about my Lexus than I have in the last 5 years!! This forum is excellent - Cheers

The OEM plugs are normally changed after 6 years or 60K miles, whichever comes first. So you may well be on the original plugs and with them getting on a bit now. The plugs are easy to change yourself, I did a walkthrough on it in the Workshop section, I recommend the Denso IK20 plugs.

Hi Steviewievie,

Where do I find the workshop section for changing those Denso spark plugs?

Sorry, am new to this site.

Regards

i would advise to change the spark plugs first as they are needing to be changed so that might fix the problem.

I have just checked all the service history and there is no evidence of the spark plugs ever being changed. My mileage is at 57282 at mo and I have just read through the 'warrenty and care' brochure which came with my car when I bought it from main dealer. It states under 'Additional Replacements' that the Spark Plugs should be replaced 'every 60,000 miles' (iridium type).

I will get this done first as you suggest - thanks for this.

There's a whole Workshop forum here.

My posting on changing the spark plugs is here. You'll find loads of other very handy guides too in there.

Just bought my Denso IK20 spark plugs! Not sure if anyone else needs any, but I found a great price on 6 plugs. A company called Opie Oils are having a May Bank Hols 15% off. I got my 6 plugs for £37.91 (+£5.99 carriage). Best thing to do is to ring them up as they are not advertising this sale online at mo.

Next job is to fit em.

Just bought my Denso IK20 spark plugs! Not sure if anyone else needs any, but I found a great price on 6 plugs. A company called Opie Oils are having a May Bank Hols 15% off. I got my 6 plugs for £37.91 (+£5.99 carriage). Best thing to do is to ring them up as they are not advertising this sale online at mo.

Good stuff. Did you get the LOC discount too ? Details about it here.

Looks like Opie Oils is a great places to buy some spark plugs this weekend !

Good stuff. Did you get the LOC discount too ? Details about it here.

Looks like Opie Oils is a great places to buy some spark plugs this weekend !

No I did'nt, but have since learnt that Gold membership gives you some great discounts and perks!!

Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again.

I have changed the plugs with a friend who works in a garage - followed your workshop too. I got him to oversee my work incase I did something wrong. Anyhow, job done and I have put everything back together and now the orange 'engine management' light on the top right hand corner of the dashboard stays lit up (??????)

Do you have any ideas why this has happened as we put everything back how it was (quadruple checked!)

One thing that we did do was turn the engine over with no spark plugs in - my garage friend said this would get rid of all the dirt in those holes the plugs go into.

Some more help would be great - thank you.

Hi again.

I have changed the plugs with a friend who works in a garage - followed your workshop too. I got him to oversee my work incase I did something wrong. Anyhow, job done and I have put everything back together and now the orange 'engine management' light on the top right hand corner of the dashboard stays lit up (??????)

Do you have any ideas why this has happened as we put everything back how it was (quadruple checked!)

One thing that we did do was turn the engine over with no spark plugs in - my garage friend said this would get rid of all the dirt in those holes the plugs go into.

Reset the ecu its possible that the new plugs offer a slightly different resistance to the one its expecting hence the light, How was the starting issue though

Hi again.

Reset the ecu its possible that the new plugs offer a slightly different resistance to the one its expecting hence the light, How was the starting issue though

failing that, unplug the sensor that is plugged into the front of the engine cover (next to the air filter) and plug it back in again makin sure its in securely, I knocked mine when i changed my filter and the EML stayed on afterwards, took it out and blew it (universal fix, that is) and plugged it back in ensuring i'd stuck it back in properly

Thanks for the ideas - anyhow, started the car this morning to go to work and the light has now disappeared. Very strange, but hopefully thats the end of that.

Cheers everyone! It seems to be a successful spark plug change then. Not too bad for a total novice under the hood.