Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mot And Servicing

I have done about 9k since I got my car at crimbo, and due a service soon.

How often do you have your 200 serviced? And at what sort of cost.

Also going to put it through the MOT in the next couple of weeks.

Had a small blow on the exhaust fixed, but is there anything else I should look out for??

Is it worth paying the extra and getting a service done at same time as MOT, or should I service it myself??

:whistling:

James

Service interval on the 200 is every 10k/12 months whichever comes 1st.

What's the mileage on your car?

Coming up to 65k, i know i'm due a cam-belt change too. Have checked it out though, and is in good condition.

Might wait and have full service done and cam-belt changed at same time.

Yeah, you need a cambelt (with tensioner and idler) change for deffo.

Guess you'll be need the big 60k service?

If so, you need to change/replace:

- Air/oil/pollen filters

- Engine oil

- Coolant

- Diff oil & brake fluid

- Spark plugs

Will you also be getting the waterpump changed with the cambelt? Most people change the waterpump (even if its ok) as it easier to do as you have to strip most of the front of the engine when doing a cambelt change.

Most the above parts can be sourced from your local Lexus garage, although you might want to go for the K&N filter and see if you can get the spark plugs cheaper from eBay.

Yeah, you need a cambelt (with tensioner and idler) change for deffo.

Guess you'll be need the big 60k service?

If so, you need to change/replace:

- Air/oil/pollen filters

- Engine oil

- Coolant

- Diff oil & brake fluid

- Spark plugs

Will you also be getting the waterpump changed with the cambelt? Most people change the waterpump (even if its ok) as it easier to do as you have to strip most of the front of the engine when doing a cambelt change.

Most the above parts can be sourced from your local Lexus garage, although you might want to go for the K&N filter and see if you can get the spark plugs cheaper from ebay.

Is there any of those that I can't do myself? I think I might have to bite the bullet and do it myself to keep costs down.

How much is a waterpump? Are there any of these parts, obviously bar the spark plugs that'd i'd be able to upgrade, and save doing at a later date, as I am considering a s/c or turbo in a year or so.

Cheers

How confident are you in replacing the items that I have listed?

Changing the air filter is easy and so is changing the pollen filter and spark plugs. Oil change is easy, however the oil filter can be tricky to change as there is little room to undo the old filter.

I'd get the cambelt done by a garage- the coolant. diff and brake fluid change can be difficult as well, so get these items done by a garage. A OEM waterpump from Lexus is £100 approx.

Thanks for all the info. Think I might as well do the water pump at same time as cam-belt.

Is it worth getting an uprated kevlar timing belt off prolex?

Are the pollen filters really needed? If i'm right they are for the air-con, which is proper sweet in my car at min.

Been quoted £250 with standard belt, tensioner and idler by a local garage that I trust, is this a decent price? This is using blueprint parts.

Cheers james

I don't really think an upgraded timing belt is worth it, a standard one should be good enough. That does sound a pretty good price including the tensioner and idler too.

You can easily take out the pollen filter yourself (a 30 second job) and see how clean/dirty it is, then decide whether you think it needs changing. You just need to release the sides of the glovebox to let it drop right forward, then pull off the cover where there filter goes, then the pollen filter just slides out.

Don't really see the point in using a Kevlar belt on a N/A engine.

I'd only use OEM Toyota/Lexus parts if I was you (not saying Blueprint are rubbish- they make decent braking components). You should be able to pick up a timing belt kit (cambelt, idler and tensioner) from Lexus for £130. In fact I saw a OEM timing belt kit in Japarts eBay shop for £130.

Buy the kit yourself and get your local garage to fit the parts you supply (you will only be paying the garage labour costs)- might work out cheaper this way?

Check the condition of the pollen filter- if it is ok then leave it, if its dirty then change it. I think a genuine pollen filter from Lexus is £15.

Thanks for all the info. Think I might as well do the water pump at same time as cam-belt.

Are the pollen filters really needed? If i'm right they are for the air-con, which is proper sweet in my car at min.

Been quoted £250 with standard belt, tensioner and idler by a local garage that I trust, is this a decent price? This is using blueprint parts.

Cheers james

I think Charlesworth motors in Glossop do the cam belt change for about £200 all using Genuine parts, about 45mins drive from you :D

Cheers james

I think Charlesworth motors in Glossop do the cam belt change for about £200 all using Genuine parts, about 45mins drive from you :D

Wicked, thanks mate, Will give them a call when the time comes. :whistling: