Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Navigation Computer Borked

Good evening, all. First post here, so go gentle on the newbie :)

I've got a 98 S reg LS400. Wonderful car. Except now the satnav computer thingy in the boot has gone walkabouts.

Dealer says the the component is broken, and wants 3.5k for a new one !

I know that I can buy a tom-tom, but my biggest problem is that because the satnav won't boot, I can't get into the main computer and change settings, audio settings etc.

Can I bypass the satnav computer and get my main computer up and running again ?

The error "Cannot read CD-ROM. Please check CD" appears on the screen. The unit ejects and accepts the CD, and it appears to spin up, but nothing after that.

Does anyone know where I can get a (very) reasonably priced replacement ?

TIA.

Julian

Always start with the simplest things first. On my Camry the SatNav crashed once where none of the buttons, the drive, radio or anything worked. I went to Toyota who wanted some money to spend time looking at it, I didn't bother, all I did was take each fuse out of the fuse box under the bonnet until I found the one that cut the power to the unit. Can't remember which one unfortunately off hand. After I found the right one, I plugged it back in and the system rebooted, came up with a load of random stuff on the screen then it functioned normally.

Always start with the simplest things first. On my Camry the SatNav crashed once where none of the buttons, the drive, radio or anything worked. I went to Toyota who wanted some money to spend time looking at it, I didn't bother, all I did was take each fuse out of the fuse box under the bonnet until I found the one that cut the power to the unit. Can't remember which one unfortunately off hand. After I found the right one, I plugged it back in and the system rebooted, came up with a load of random stuff on the screen then it functioned normally.

Thanks - I already have tried that, but will try again.

Does anyone know how to bypass the satnav part, so that the main computer will at least boot. I *need* to change the default audio settings ! ;)