Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance

Gord

Well today i was collecting Jessica from school, and there was a accident, i did see it and have given my name to the driver's, now my question is this ........

One car was parked on the yellow zig-zag lines outside the school, and the other car hit the parked car on the yellow zig-zags, who's to blame ?????

Is it the car parked (illegally) or the other for running into him ????

as far as i know its 3 points to park on zig zags lines. so i reckon the person parked on zig zag lines is to be blamed as he/she shouldnt have been there in the first place.

I would say its the driver who hit the parked car who is at fault, the illegal parking is a seperate matter, but the fact is the moving car driver failed to negotiate an obstacle

if you are acting as in independent witness you are only required to state facts anyway, not to assign blame

If the car was parked on the zig zag it deserved to get hit in my mind, but asthe same time the other car hit the vehicle on the zig zag if it hadnt been there who or what would it have hit. was it going fast slow etc just so we get an idea

but as stated above you only have to state facts

Rabs

Yer i know about the facts, i'm not on anyone's side, was just thinking who was/is to blame.

Was not driving fast and not much damage really, came round the corner and hit the parked car, interesting about the 3 points for parking on the yellow zig-zags outside a school ?

Well, it's still the person in the moving car's fault for hitting a stationary car, even if it was parked illegally. Just like if you came around a blind corner and hit a car up the rear that was legally parked though you didn't see it till too late.

It would be more complicated if the moving car had knocked over a child crossing the road by the school, and the driver said that their view of the child was obstructed by the illegally parked car. That actually might help the defence of the driver, I would have thought (assuming their view really was impaired by the parked car).

I didn't know it was 3 points for parking there either. But that's pretty sensible, and it really needs enforcing.

I would say it was 50/50

the car on the zig zag lines was parked illegally so even if he tried to claim his insurance company MAY not cover him.....the second care was at fault and could get done for undue car and attention.....? its a bit of a tricky one.....they will more than likely will have to pay up from each of there own insurance..?

The driver of the moving car hit a stationary car so is at fault. The fact that the hit car was parked on school zigzags is of no relevance.

I'm pretty sure that's not a 3 point offence, I can't believe that! :o

I had always thought it was something you got a parking ticket for (from a traffic warden) - was he ticketed by a policeman then? And was it a particularly dangerous position?

As far as the accident is concerned, I agree that it's the moving cars fault, as it's the front of a school it's hardly likely to be a dangerous position, the zig zag is there to prevent children from getting run over, not because there's a high risk of car's crashing into each other (correct me if I'm wrong though!)

However, if it is now such a serious offence to park on a zig zag, the driver of the parked car may get separately done for that........

Zig-Zag Markings

The white zig-zags either side of pedestrian crossings must not be parked on at any time. The offence is different from other parking restrictions in that offenders also get their licences endorsed!

The yellow zig-zags outside school entrances are not enforceable unless there are accompanying signs indicating times they are in operation. Where these exist it is an offence even to stop on them during the operational times.

Zig-Zag Markings

The white zig-zags either side of pedestrian crossings must not be parked on at any time. The offence is different from other parking restrictions in that offenders also get their licences endorsed!

The yellow zig-zags outside school entrances are not enforceable unless there are accompanying signs indicating times they are in operation. Where these exist it is an offence even to stop on them during the operational times.

Yep yellow zig-zags have signs saying what time they are in operation.

I've just been told today, (by the school) that they have told the driver of the parked car more than 5 times not to park where they have been parking, as a child was very nearly run over the other week, and they have reported them to the police only last Friday, as the school consider where they park very dangerous, don't know if this will have any bearing on the case or not.

White Zig Zag lines are always in force and you can pick up 3 points for parking on them if caught.

Yellow Zig Zags as someone pointed out are the same only if enforced, if they're not enforced then they're similar to Keep Clear boxes.

I would blame the driver of the car who hit the parked car, does it matter where your car is parked if its hit surely thats undue care and attention? If i was to see someone parked on Zig Zags i would slow down to observe more. Although this could be more the case like on motorways when a car is stopped on the hard shoulder and the rubber neckers end up driving into it! Hands follow eyes!

But second to that what inconsiderate twit parks on yellow Zig Zags outside a school at kicking out time?! I'm sure if it was their child almost run over they'd be the first to point blame at the driver parked on the Zig Zags!!

i think its a offence parking at white zig zags marking not yellow ones.

Ahh right you were talking about white zigzags..........yep that's an offence, I was sure the yellow ones weren't :)

I'm pretty sure you can get a normal ticket from a traffic warden though, but it's the same as with being parked on a yellow line when you're not supposed to - so it's definitely the moving car's fault for simply hitting a stationary car.

The person that was hit though sounds like a right idiot, and probably got what was coming........

yep i was talking about white zig zag lines. i personally think it was the driver that was aprked at fault but it all really depends on what information the police gets and what they think

he still not learned his lesson?

He is Italian and seems to know it all, but then saying he not understand about the yellow zig-zags :o but he has been told several time's now, and 1 accident :o

hes just risking other people lives hope he gets caught.