Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Noise Behind Dash

I can remember reading somewhere on here about this noise my car makes when setting off sometimes.

Like the noise of water running down a pipe. Sounds like it comes from right behind the dash board.

Now I read that it was the coolent that needed toping up, but because it isn't effecting my cars temp at the min, I thought i'd leave it till I got it serviced.

But i have had a thought while talking about the waterpump replacement in another thread.

When my car's engine is hot, it makes a bit of a tapping noise.

Could this be the coolent system? And air locked in system and the waterpump tapping because the lack of coolent??

If so, how do I check the coolent, and what do I use to fill it back up if it is low?

Could be talking out my rear on this, but if i can sort two wierd noises with one stone would be a winner :whistling:

James

Sounds like there is a airlock in the coolant system?

You can check the coolant level if you look behind the radiator, there is a window (it has min/max markings) so you should be able to check the coolant level. Only use proper Toyota coolant to refill if the level is low. You should have red coolant in your cooling system.

This is caused by a low level of coolant in the system which means that it has room to slosh about when you pull away. If you top up the coolant as Kam05 said then the noise will go away.

This is caused by a low level of coolant in the system which means that it has room to slosh about when you pull away. If you top up the coolant as Kam05 said then the noise will go away.

Do you think that this could be causing the tapping noise too???

Have just been out to car, and found a white/clear window on back of radiator. Is this what i am checking? Because i can't see a water level on it! Could my car be running without enough coolent to register and not be over heating??

I suggest you get a full coolant change done when you change your waterpump- in the meantime top up the coolant level with proper Toyota coolant. Don't be tempted to top up the coolant level with water, as I have heard water can cause damage to your engine (internally).

The tapping noise is probably to with the grade of oil in your engine. I reckon you have 5w-30 grade oil in the engine- this grade is probably making the engine sound more 'tappty'. You can also use 10w-40 grade oil- this will make the engine sound less 'tappty'. Personally, I use Eneos 5w-30 fully synthetic oil from Japarts, I find I can get better mpg using 5w-30 grade oil.

Have just been out to car, and found a white/clear window on back of radiator. Is this what i am checking? Because i can't see a water level on it! Could my car be running without enough coolent to register and not be over heating??

Yes, that's the one. ok, so it sounds like the expansion tank is empty, as suspected. Just get some coolant from Toyota (don't use plain water ! Get the proper coolant) and top it up.

It's probably fine if it's not overheating, don't panic. Just get it topped up when you can.

I suggest you get a full coolant change done when you change your waterpump- in the meantime top up the coolant level with proper Toyota coolant. Don't be tempted to top up the coolant level with water, as I have heard water can cause damage to your engine (internally).

The tapping noise is probably to with the grade of oil in your engine. I reckon you have 5w-30 grade oil in the engine- this grade is probably making the engine sound more 'tappty'. You can also use 10w-40 grade oil- this will make the engine sound less 'tappty'. Personally, I use Eneos 5w-30 fully synthetic oil from Japarts, I find I can get better mpg using 5w-30 grade oil.

Tapping noise comes from around the water pump area, and doesn't go up with the revs. Will try the Eneos 5w-30 oil you suggested, when I get car serviced.

When i had the same noise i just filled it up and it cured it - no need to bleed it. Not sure about the tapping but the engine does do it a little when cold anyway.

Only get tapping noise when car is hot, sounds sweet when it first starts up.

Yes, that's the one. ok, so it sounds like the expansion tank is empty, as suspected. Just get some coolant from Toyota (don't use plain water ! Get the proper coolant) and top it up.

It's probably fine if it's not overheating, don't panic. Just get it topped up when you can.

Wicked, just off out to get some new tyres, so will call in lexus/toyota and get some coolent on route.

Cheers all :D

What tyres are you going for?

Just some budget ones to get it through its MOT, have not been working for last month or so. And as a result just getting some to get me through till new job starts next week

and I can afford to get some decent treads. Will post the brand name up when I get back, but they are £90 for two fitted! LOL! My plan of attack is to put them on the front for now, then when got a bit of extra cash put some decent branded rubber on front, and buy cheap tyres for rear as they wear quite quick with my heavy right foot! :whistling:

James

Just some budget ones to get it through its MOT, have not been working for last month or so. And as a result just getting some to get me through till new job starts next week

and I can afford to get some decent treads. Will post the brand name up when I get back, but they are £90 for two fitted! LOL! My plan of attack is to put them on the front for now, then when got a bit of extra cash put some decent branded rubber on front, and buy cheap tyres for rear as they wear quite quick with my heavy right foot! :whistling:

James

I see. Was going to suggest you go for the Gooyear Eagle F1 asymetrics. I had 4 for these fitted last November, cost me £93 a tyre. Best tyres I have used on my IS200.

If the budget tyres you are going for are Fullrun HP199's then I wish you good luck. I had a set of these before the Goodyears- totally :tsktsk: tyres IMHO.

Don't put new tyres on the front if you're only changing two, it's generally recommended that you put new tyres on the rear, i.e. so that you've got most grip on the rear. Otherwise you could get into nasty oversteer situations.

stevie right there.

Don't put new tyres on the front if you're only changing two, it's generally recommended that you put new tyres on the rear, i.e. so that you've got most grip on the rear. Otherwise you could get into nasty oversteer situations.

stevie right there.

I'd rather oversteer then understeer. Sorry if this sounds completly bonkers. LOL!

The guy at the tyre place can get me some continentals for about £60 a tyre fitted, So will be getting them for the front soon as I have spare cash.

I'd rather oversteer then understeer. Sorry if this sounds completly bonkers. LOL!

Are you sure ? Assuming it's accidental and comes at a time when you're not expecting it, as opposed to deliberately inducing it ?

Oversteer is potentially a lot more dangerous if it comes on you suddenly, e.g. on a wet and greasy road.

I put Eagle F1's on mine recently. Grat tyres in dry conditions but not so good ine wet or snowy/icy roads.

Col... :winky:

James

I see. Was going to suggest you go for the Gooyear Eagle F1 asymetrics. I had 4 for these fitted last November, cost me £93 a tyre. Best tyres I have used on my IS200.

If the budget tyres you are going for are Fullrun HP199's then I wish you good luck. I had a set of these before the Goodyears- totally :tsktsk: tyres IMHO.

Confused! Just tried to fill up coolent (got some stuff from lexus yesterday), and think something is a bit wrong.

Put stuff in, and only took a little bit to fill up, but still nothing showing on that little window on back.

I squidged the pipes a bit to try get out any air, and filled up a little bit more, but still no level on that window behind the radiator.

Anyone any ideas???? :duh:

Maybe you just need to put more in ? I don't think you can do any harm, if you put in too much it'll just run out onto the floor out of the overflow pipe. It probably just needs more.

Although I just re-read your post and you said it only took a little bit to fill up. Where are you filling it, in the expansion tank or the radiator itself ? Fill it up via the expansion tank (the black plastic cap).

Confused! Just tried to fill up coolent (got some stuff from lexus yesterday), and think something is a bit wrong.

Put stuff in, and only took a little bit to fill up, but still nothing showing on that little window on back.

I squidged the pipes a bit to try get out any air, and filled up a little bit more, but still no level on that window behind the radiator.

Any chance you are putting coolent directly in the radiator? That way, you will never see the "little window" show filled.

You need to open the black cap on the left.

Maybe you just need to put more in ? I don't think you can do any harm, if you put in too much it'll just run out onto the floor out of the overflow pipe. It probably just needs more.

Although I just re-read your post and you said it only took a little bit to fill up. Where are you filling it, in the expansion tank or the radiator itself ? Fill it up via the expansion tank (the black plastic cap).

Any chance you are putting coolent directly in the radiator? That way, you will never see the "little window" show filled.

You need to open the black cap on the left.

AHH! :duh: Yep, i'm doing it wrong, have just been out in car so will wait till it cools down then have another go!