Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Im new on here and would like a bit of help / information please. I have just purchased a 07 plate 220d and in the 4 weeks that its been on the drive, Ive not been happy. At the moment the car is averaging about 32 mpg and when im on the motoway its not much better. big come down from getting 55-65mpg from my old 318d msport. the car has been back to lexus at bolton to get the dash fixed as it was creaking like a old barn door and to sort the fuel out, they told me the fuel was fine and that they had re-set the computer. the dash now seems to be fine but im still getting low 30s, and the car ticks over at 12000 revs, is this the norm, as I find it anoying listening to the engine rev so high. I have been looking on this site and it seems the is diesel has a history of problems and Im wondering whether to get rid now rather than later. I originaly bought the car due to the jd power survey results, I thought it would last me, but now after whats happened in the first month Im a little worried. also what should I be getting on a full tank of fuel, the BM averaged about 520 before the light came on. at the mo Im not hitting 400. has any one got any positives about this model, or are you like me, on the site as you have encounted problems.

Welcome to LOC mate.

Looks like you have the classic IS220d issue- poor mpg. Whether you keep it or sell is up to you, but did you consider the IS250 before buying the IS220d? I drive the old IS200 and on a pure motorway run I can get 450 miles out of a full tank (@ 70mph), so if you compare your 220d against my 8 year old/120k IS200 I can get more miles out of a full tank.

I did read that you can get your dealer to do ECU/5th injector upgrades, someone with a IS220d will be shorty along to give more info.

Yeah, welcome to the LOC!

Sadly you're not alone. I'm a bit better & get 35/36 as a combined figure. I've had the car for 2.5 years, was generally getting 42 & then it dropped to the current level about 9 months ago. I've given the dealer a couple of chances to do something about it but they insist that everything's OK. They cleaned the EGR valve yesterday when it was in for a 70k service & I must admit the car seems to be a wee bit livelier but I'll wait & see how it effects the consumption over the next week or so.

Mine ticks over at about 1200 sometimes too but this is I think because the EMS increases the revs at idle when the engine is under load from the a/c etc. You should find that this doesn't happen all the time & that "normal" idle will be below 1000rpm - someone on here who knows more than me about these things could probably explain it better.

I've got to say that I do moan about the fuel consumption but other than that I've had no real issues with the car.

I agree with kam05 I had an IS250 auto as a loan car a couple of services ago & returned the same mpg as my diesel! I guess this doesn't help you though.

My contract hire is up in just under 6 months & I don't know that I'll go for another IS diesel purely on this fuel consumption issue.

Welcome to LOC Neilboxer. You've raised, once again, the "hot potato", the most discussed topic on this forum. Trawl through the many pages available and you will see how it has caused heated arguments, fall outs and abuse to be hurled around. There are many issues with the 220D and you have asked the question "whether to get rid now or later", if you can I'd say now, based on what I've read on here.

Some may be on the site because they have encountered problems, I came on to find out all about the IS before laying out the cash and if I buy it will be the 250 auto. I've driven both, there is no comparison.

I would say give it some time and try your best to get it going. Try different driving styles and fuels. Don't let the OBC freak you out, pay attention only to long(er) time average. If it still doesn't work for you, then let it go.

I've read hundreds and hundreds of horror stories on this forum in the last two years. In real life, I've seen nothing of the kind. Got my car in January 2007, done 55000 miles with it and haven't had a single failure. 47 MPG from new. In a word: happy.

i had my 220D for over 2 years, had the same issues as you and others, poor mpg mine was 29.9mpg on average, creaky seats/dash ect.

had the ecu re-mapped 5th injector ect always ran out of oil before the service was due,

i got shut of mine around a month ago and to be honest was the best decission i made, lexus should stick to what they no and forget about the deisel, the 220d was the car they shouldnt have made.

i had my 220D for over 2 years, had the same issues as you and others, poor mpg mine was 29.9mpg on average, creaky seats/dash ect.

had the ecu re-mapped 5th injector ect always ran out of oil before the service was due,

i got shut of mine around a month ago and to be honest was the best decission i made, lexus should stick to what they no and forget about the deisel, the 220d was the car they shouldnt have made.

Yep.

This is the best car I've had in my life. Better than the 03 Audi A4 or the 01 Volvo S60, for instance. And better than any of the dozen or so diesels I tested when buying a car last time.

Yep.

This is the best car I've had in my life. Better than the 03 Audi A4 or the 01 Volvo S60, for instance. And better than any of the dozen or so diesels I tested when buying a car last time.

My 220d was the worst car experience I've had. My S60, (petrol) was & my current VW Jetta 2.0 TDI has been far better. That was in part due to the car which I consider to be a vehicle with and indifferent engine and a sub-standard gear box, but in the end down to rubbish treatment from and incompetent maintenance repairs by 2 Lexus dealers, to say nothing of indifference and disdain from Lexus customer services.

I'll never even consider having another Lexus.

I think if you can convince your dealer to swap the car for you (did you from Lex Dealer??) then I would get the IS250 Automatic version.

I was happy with my MPG on ISD until I moved to BMW, now I know that even Mid 40's on a run is not anything to shout at with a 2.2 4 Cyl D. In fact it is a bit poor. The newer ISD might be better, but the gearing and the heavy clutch, lack of "punch" and slow revving make IS220d less connected. That is why the Petrol and diesel feel like different machines.

Let me tell you. My 325d had a small accident with a shopping trolley. Went to dealers for some makeup. I had a loaner 318d for 3 days, facelifted version, on paper it supposed to be slower than 220d IS, but it felt quicker most of the time even with 143bhp as felt so much lighter to drive, lots of spread of turbo power and less lag than IS220d. Even with my painful knee, it brought a smile to my face and in 3 days it didn't drop below 34mpg with lots of hard driving in the lakes and penrith. The stop start works really well. I know it's not the right forum, but that is what I call a proper modern diesel! I could leave in 3rd gear from 18mph and not change again around town, no problems, and 6th from 50mph= fine!

The only problem was with grey boring interior it had cloth seats it was rubbish inside, but to drive was very good. It was nice to drive a manual for a change.

PS - 1200 tickover I think is to do with warming engine up quick, supposed to help emissions (but it guzzles diesel) ;-)

Gunther it is normal that lower powered diesel engines have more spread power in revs and less turbo lag...

Really :question:

Have you heard of Variable Vane Turbo's? 325d has one single Turbo, power is linear from 1300-3600RPM, no lag at all. Oh and it has 197bhp. In fact Audi does too.

All the ISD needs is a better turbo and diff configuration, and it would very good.

Finlex

so what your really saying is that in the sector lexus is in they make the best deisel?

pitty that me and so many others disagree including my lexus dealer.

I'm saying what I said.

This is the best car I've ever had. It was also the best car I tested in 2006-2007. Not the best DIESEL, the best diesel-powered CAR.

Hi all,

Im new on here and would like a bit of help / information please. I have just purchased a 07 plate 220d and in the 4 weeks that its been on the drive, Ive not been happy. At the moment the car is averaging about 32 mpg and when im on the motoway its not much better. big come down from getting 55-65mpg from my old 318d msport. the car has been back to lexus at bolton to get the dash fixed as it was creaking like a old barn door and to sort the fuel out, they told me the fuel was fine and that they had re-set the computer. the dash now seems to be fine but im still getting low 30s, and the car ticks over at 12000 revs, is this the norm, as I find it anoying listening to the engine rev so high. I have been looking on this site and it seems the is diesel has a history of problems and Im wondering whether to get rid now rather than later. I originaly bought the car due to the jd power survey results, I thought it would last me, but now after whats happened in the first month Im a little worried. also what should I be getting on a full tank of fuel, the BM averaged about 520 before the light came on. at the mo Im not hitting 400. has any one got any positives about this model, or are you like me, on the site as you have encounted problems.

I had a 220D for a couple of years and covered 60k miles from new, the average mpg was about 36 but depended on the way I drove it and where I drove it. On M'way at a steady 70 ish I could get up to 42mpg, floor it and it came down to high 30's, around town and on shorter runs low 30's. The higher revs was also the same on mine, Lexus did give me an answer for it but sorry cant remember what they said (it was 2.5 years ago and I have slept since then). Traded my 220D in for RX400H in Sept last year, love the car and can get around 32mpg all day long, even higher if I keep the speed down and let the Battery take over for a while. Good luck with the car, I would personally stick with it because i loved my 220D, the toys etc made it a very happy car to drive, very comfortable and Lexus Stockport have always looked after me from a dealer point of view hence why a stayed with Lexus (for now).

Hi all,

If you are looking to get 45mpg+, then with the 220d you will definately struggle. No matter what mods the dealer does, its engine is not even close to being one of the economical ones. It is just recently they have updated the diesel engine and consumptions figures are in line with the competition. On the motorway you should however get more than 32 mpg, so I would insist on the dealer to fix it, as there is obviously something wrong with your car. But as I said, don't expect anything higher than low-mid 40's in normal situations.

Regarding the revs, the car will initially tick over at 1200 revs until it warms up. This usually takes upto 3-4 miles. After that it should never hit those revs when idle, even with the AC on. If your car is ticking over at 1200 revs constantly, then that is probably what is causing the low fuel consumptions values (I am guessing).

I would say, if the dealer manages to fix the fuel consumption problem, stick with the car as it is a great car. If they don't, change it.

Gunther it is normal that lower powered diesel engines have more spread power in revs and less turbo lag...

Really :question:

Have you heard of Variable Vane Turbo's? 325d has one single Turbo, power is linear from 1300-3600RPM, no lag at all. Oh and it has 197bhp. In fact Audi does too.

All the ISD needs is a better turbo and diff configuration, and it would very good.

have you heard that 325d is a 3 litre engine?

PS: nowadays, all diesels have VVTs...