Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Keys

New to this forum so hi everyone and hope you can help me...

Not a very clever blonde girly here just bought my second lexus that only has one key which has seen better days so need to sort out another couple.. have spoken to local dealer and they are wanting about £350 each...

so the BIG question does anyone know any cheaper ways..??

hi there,

Welcoeme to LOC.

you could get keys from ebay for £30-40

thanks

I am being really blonde now, how would they fit my car and then have it so the buttons unlock and do the alarms etc..??

If the one key you do have is the master-type then you are ok and can do it much cheaper than Lexus. Put your key in the ignition (without turning it) and check the security light on the dash stops blinking. If it does you've got a master key and are ok.

To get your own key done the cheapest way, buy a used key with a transponder in it. You will then need a new key case as the blade cannot be changed. Cases are available on eBay from around £10.00. Be careful to get the right one, you want about a 38 or 40mm blade length. There is another longer style which does not suit the IS200.

If you get these two, put the transponder in your new key case then you just need to program it. See here for more details:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=48876

If the one key you do have is the master-type then you are ok and can do it much cheaper than Lexus. Put your key in the ignition (without turning it) and check the security light on the dash stops blinking. If it does you've got a master key and are ok.

The Security light will stop blinking when either the master or "sub" (valet) keys are inserted. The difference between them is that if you insert a master key, the Security light turns off straight away. If it's a sub key, then the Security light stays on for a second before extinguishing :)

• 7 months later...