Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can A 245 Tyre Be Put On A 225 Rim?

Anuj

Probably not, though. If the alloy was designed for a 225 tyre then you might just about get away with a 235, but going up 2 whole centimeters in width is going to pinch the sidewalls in and cause a bulge in the centre of the tread.

it would go on but you would have a reverse euro look(tyres bulging out further than the rim) which is no good for handling(too much sidewall flex)

why do you wanna go so wide? :unsure:

if you want the wider wheel stance you'd be better putting a set of small wheel spacers on the rear.that would give you a nice stagered look. ;)

what it is basically on my honda accord its running 225 45 17`s

however i know somebody selling a set of a 18s but all the tyres need replacing. we are also replacing all 4 tyres on our ls430 which means we will have three good 245 45 18 bridgestones, so i was thinking about using those three good stones to put on the honda 18" wheel which is 225 40 18 atm.

thanks ~^ if u follow that haha.

You need to check what the width of the wheel is, as others have said. It's probably 7.5" or 8" width. If it's 7.5" then a 245 tyre will not fit, it'll be too wide. If it's an 8" wheel then the 245 will just about go on, but it'll be far from ideal, as Ormi has said.

what it is basically on my honda accord its running 225 45 17`s

however i know somebody selling a set of a 18s but all the tyres need replacing. we are also replacing all 4 tyres on our ls430 which means we will have three good 245 45 18 bridgestones, so i was thinking about using those three good stones to put on the honda 18" wheel which is 225 40 18 atm.

thanks ~^ if u follow that haha.

if it does fit it wont look right and the speedo will out as well! you will be changing the tyre size by 20mm plus you will have a higher profile

the tyres will balloon and the car will sit higher

Putting 245/45R18s on to replace 225/45R17s will result in your speedo being approx 6% out compared to before. The tyres that are currently on those wheels sound a much better size, if they're 225/40R18 as you mention, that would be less than 1% different in terms of the speedo.

Depends entirely upon the rim width and offset/clearance with suspension and body components......if 225 were a standard fit then clearance might not be an issue as manufacturers usually provide quite a comfortable margin, as for the speedo being out 6% you may well find that your speedo is actually more accurate after fitment as all speedos read slightly higher than actual road speed, my RX was originally fitted with 215/70x16 and read approx 64mph @70, now I have 255/55x18 fitted and the speedo reads 69mph @70 (it also rides better and quieter and handles more securely even though it rides higher it has a much wider track and a lot more contact area).

245/45 according to tables will fit between 8" > 9.5" rims.....check the rim width you intend to purchase carefully (and the offset).

If I read you OP correct your going from 225/45x17 to 245/45x18 ? Be aware that although they will probably fit the car will be riding approx 22mm higher....that will affect the handling quite substantially, and not in a good way, your CofG will be higher and roll centres affected even more!

On the whole.....not a good idea :crybaby:

Best regards David

• 4 weeks later...
just want to know..the rear tyres on my IS300 need changind, currently got falken 452 on the rear(lexus 18inch alloys, 225/40/18).

What i want to know is, would 235 tyres fit the standard lexus 18" alloys without any probs.

cheers!

I'm pretty sure that should be fine, there was a member on here a while back that had 235/35/18 on the Lexus 18" rims with no problems (they were chicanes, but size is the same) - however I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to mix tyre sizes front to rear.

cheers folks!...ive had the falken 452 fitted twice in a row now..top tyre, copes extremely well in the wet and dry but wnt to try another brand on the rear, what do u guys recomend..ive got the dunlop 9000 is it(lexus spec) on the front and they seem good..ive heard good reviews abt Toyos and eagle f1 ect.. but in real day driving which is the best all rounder. budget of around £150 max per tyre

thanks

I've said this a few times before so I hope I don't bore anyone, but I had the SP Sport 9000s for many years on the standard 17" alloys and they were fine. However about a year ago I got a set of the 18" styling kit alloys and decided to go for the Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.

I realise there has been some talk of problems with these tyres, but for me they have been absolutely incredible. The difference in grip (especially in the wet) is unbelievable, and there's so much less road noise as well. It even has a decent rim protector, I really have nothing bad to say about these tyres, especially as they only cost me £105 per corner.