Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computer Help Needed

Guest inicol63

Guest inicol63

For your computer hot shots.

Can you hack into the bios if your forgot the password, as it seems to be locked and i can't even remember locking it.

I tried every password i would use i enter via the F10 button and it is asking for a password.

The reason i want to get in is i want to restore the hard drive and sell the system on.

I have owned this from new so any help would be appreciated!!!!!

if you download the latest bios firmware update and re flash the bios that normally clears most paswords a friend of mine did it on a few pc's

failing that there are some password bots that can hack the NVRAM to find it out

Rabs

I wonder if you can remove the Battery that keeps the BIOS memory going and that might do it ? It'll certainly make it lose all the BIOS settings and it'll start again at factory defaults, but I don't know if it'll remove the password. It's also worth trying Rabster's suggestion and trying to re-flash the BIOS.

Guest inicol63
if you download the latest bios firmware update and re flash the bios that normally clears most paswords a friend of mine did it on a few pc's

failing that there are some password bots that can hack the NVRAM to find it out

Rabs

Thank Rabs and Steve

Ok how do i reflash bios.

When i searched on Google it seems quiet diffucult to remove the password as the Sony cpu is a 1.6 ghz but could be clocked at 2.22 or something like that, that why they think the bio password locks in the first instance.

Have a look on Sony's website, they should have a download section and you should be able to search for bios versions for your model of Vaio. There will be a package to download and instructions on how to do it. Hopefully it's possible to do it without having to get into the BIOS first ! It might well involve creating a CD you boot off, if so hopefully it won't ask for the password.

You mean flashing it won't work ? e.g. it still needs the password or doesn't change the password ?

How about the method of removing the Battery ?

I don't really understand what you're saying about the overclocking issue though. Are you saying that it's suggested that if you try and overclock it, it puts on its own BIOS password ? Did you try overclocking it or did you leave it as standard ?

I guess you could try a key generator, but is it possible to hook one up to where the BIOS password is being entered ?

Guest inicol63

Thank you all for your help..

What i want to do is sell this laptop as the wife bought me a blu ray laptop for my birthday present.

I am looking to sell this on and want to clear all the data of it first.

So i thought that i would need to enter F10 on start up to go through the process of putting the machine back to factory setting and hopefully removing most of the data that i have added in the process.

Is the only way to do this is by removing the hard drive and reformating (as JOMO says )?

Will the laptop already boot off a CD/DVD ? Or do you need to change the BIOS settings to let it do that ?

If I was you I'd think about using a utility to securely delete the data off the hard drive (i.e. a utility that overwrites it all), which typically will run by booting off a CD.

You could then just sell it with a blank hard drive and don't need to remove it or get into the BIOS, hopefully.

Thank you all for your help..

What i want to do is sell this laptop as the wife bought me a blu ray laptop for my birthday present.

I am looking to sell this on and want to clear all the data of it first.

So i thought that i would need to enter F10 on start up to go through the process of putting the machine back to factory setting and hopefully removing most of the data that i have added in the process.

Is the only way to do this is by removing the hard drive and reformating (as JOMO says )?

Hi Ian,

Firstly does the laptop still work without the Bios password. I wouldn't worry to much about if it, as long as the laptop still works, just mention it when selling.

Secondly you may have received Restore disks when you purchased the laptop. You can use those to restore the laptop back to factory Windows. Sometimes laptops have a backup utilly to create restore disks which u can then use to restore it.

Make sure you copy any data you want to keep onto a memory stick or something. before you restore as it will format the hard drive.

Cheers,

James

Removing the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) will work for sure as that is what keeps the settings alive. If you cannot get to is here are some other methods.

That won't help if the password has been burned into something like EEPROM memory though. From the sounds of it by Googling on the subject, it's very hard to get rid of the password on Vaios.

Guest inicol63

Sony have now said that there contact me a help remove the password on the bois.

Thank you all for your advice on this thread.

I keep you informed on the outcome

cheers