Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving In Neutral In Automatic - Safe ?

I was driving in D as you do and accidentally shifted to N with the gas on - the car stopped but screeched and pedestrians looked to see the source of the noise!

It was quite scary - but does it affect the car / damage it and is it safe to do - would the car skid or something in the wrong conditions for instance?

Thanks.

Eh? That doesn't sound right at all, I wouldn't recommend it but have tried it before, and it does nothing except disengage the gears, engine revs freely but no drive.

What was all the screeching about? :unsure:

I was driving in D as you do and accidentally shifted to N with the gas on - the car stopped but screeched and pedestrians looked to see the source of the noise!

It was quite scary - but does it affect the car / damage it and is it safe to do - would the car skid or something in the wrong conditions for instance?

Thanks.

I one off isn't a problem. You should avoid running in N because it will overheat the transmission.

i'm sure i've done that once before but no screech, just disengaged and revved up, I stopped and left off the gas before stickin it back in drive