Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Garage Build Questions

breet

right looking to build a detached double garage next to my house, Now i know i need planning permission and that but what i need to know is what kinda order do i do things, like do i need to get plans drawn up then get planning pemission then find a builder etc............

has anyone on here done this and what kinda funds would i expect to pay for it,

Tango's building a great looking garage at the mo so might be worth getting in touch with him, have a search on here, the thread isn't from that long ago.

First port of call though would probably be to contact your local planning office, they're usually quite helpful with telling you exactly what you need to do, but I'd imagine you're right in terms of getting plans drawn up, submit them for approval, etc before getting builders and such :)

Think about the kind of door/s you want as well.

Whe I had a double garage with 2 doors, instead of one big one,I found it a pain in the

a88e, when doing any work on the car......

You need to get the plans drawn up , then get planning permision then get the builder to give you a price.

I could give you a phone number of the builder who did mine if you like.

And you should go for one big garage door, a sectional one is best and get yourself a electric door opener aswell.

A make that is good is "garadoor" .

Think you would be looking at at least 10K to build it mate.

im just waiting for the permission to go thru on mine at the moment.

as mole said. get some drawing done and get an application pack from the planning office.

in my area it costs £150 to apply for planning permission.

if you go on the land registry website then you can download the correct scale blockplan of your property. it costs about £3 i think. thats one drawing you can use. the drawings could probably be done by urself for the plan of the garage. they dont expect people to submit perfect drawings. i done mine myself on the pc, and they were fine with them.

i reckon mine has cost me around the 8000k mark. the most was spent on the footings. thats where the most hard work is involved. my garage is about 10m x 5.5metres. its a fair size but id prefer a bit bigger already. lol. you can never have too much space.

when u apply for planning permission ul probably get a lot of builders contact you to price for the work. i did when i applied for mine, but mines already built so they were too late. ;)

also you could try a workshop website i sometimes go on. www.ukworkshop.co.uk theres alot of information and ideas to be had on there, but it is aimed at woodworking really.

right looking to build a detached double garage next to my house, Now i know i need planning permission and that but what i need to know is what kinda order do i do things, like do i need to get plans drawn up then get planning pemission then find a builder etc............

has anyone on here done this and what kinda funds would i expect to pay for it,

A detached garage built from scratch does not really need an architect but you will need the foundations and structure to be checked by a qualified Structural Engineer which will cost around £400 - £500.

The council will assign a Building Inspector and issue notification notices for inspection throughout the build, starting with approval of the groundwork/prep of foundatiions. The Inspector for mine decided I needed extra reinforcing and the highest strength concrete (which cost me an extra £600, but I now have a floor that can withstand nuclear attack :lol: ).

If you do not have the necessary skills to do the design drawings there are cheap plans on the web e.g. http://www.garageplans.co.uk/ . Getting planning consent and building regulation approval isn't the hard part, but getting a good builder is. If you know a good one already then fine, but if not research the ones in your area, and make a shortlist to get at least four or five quotes. Ask for recent work they've done and if possible visit the addresses and ask the owners for opinion. You should find the good ones will be around the same price, so if one is considerably cheaper, then don't touch with the proverbial barge pole.

I'd say some of the prices mentioned in the previous posts are a bit optimistic, as depending on size, construction materials how much work you are prepared to do yourself, and also the area you live in I'd say budget for £18K and upwards :ohmy: . Price of a single garage some 15-20 years ago was around £10K.

Get one big roller door if you can as it saves space both in front of, and inside the garage. You also need to factor in any driveway mods, electricity and possible water supply.

what sort of size is this garage you are building?

i wouldnt say my price is optimistic. its what i paid! i havent totally finished the build. i still need to tile the roof and clad the exterior to bring it up to a finished garage state, but im eventually going to plasterboard and insulate it to finish it like a room in a home. i want it nice to work in.

i reckon im probably looking about spending another couple of grand. so if i was you i would allow around £10,000 - £12,000 and thats with getting ur hands dirty!!

i have had alot of help from people and i have had to pay them for doing it. ive put alot of effort into this and its not been a build where ive just paid someone to sort it out. ive got my hands dirty every step of the way.

i wouldnt say my price is optimistic. its what i paid! i havent totally finished the build. i still need to tile the roof and clad the exterior to bring it up to a finished garage state, but im eventually going to plasterboard and insulate it to finish it like a room in a home. i want it nice to work in.

i reckon im probably looking about spending another couple of grand. so if i was you i would allow around £10,000 - £12,000 and thats with getting ur hands dirty!!

i have had alot of help from people and i have had to pay them for doing it. ive put alot of effort into this and its not been a build where ive just paid someone to sort it out. ive got my hands dirty every step of the way.

If you do all the work yourself I guess you could bring the price down even further! The builder I'm using just finished a triple in the next village which cost £98K. It does have a shower room in the loft space and a toilet in the garage space and the insulated cavity walls and ceiling are all plastered etc. :lol:

My 9metre x 6 metre isn't anywhere near that, but it'll still be around £34K including the 15% VAT. The cost of my auto roller door was 25% of your build cost. Go figure.

If you do all the work yourself I guess you could bring the price down even further! The builder I'm using just finished a triple in the next village which cost £98K. It does have a shower room in the loft space and a toilet in the garage space and the insulated cavity walls and ceiling are all plastered etc. :lol:

My 9metre x 6 metre isn't anywhere near that, but it'll still be around £34K including the 15% VAT. The cost of my auto roller door was 25% of your build cost. Go figure.

Still think the sectional door is the way to go, its much better than the roller kind but a bit more ££££

34K for a garage holly $hit :ohmy:

Still think the sectional door is the way to go, its much better than the roller kind but a bit more ££££

34K for a garage holly $hit :ohmy:

Well it is the size of a small bungalow :) . I said the same of the £98K, especially when I found out the door lintle was too low to get the owners Range Rover inside :D