Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caliper Change Fail..

I took my car into lexus a few weeks ago to take advantage of a free oil and filter change.. :D

when i collected they advised of a sticky caliper which also resulted in new pads at a cost of £780!

I checked with a local garage and they advised that it wasnt that bad would get worse so i bit the bullet and bought a caliper and new discs n pads..

I decided to do the work myself as i have done calipers before so thought no problem. However, i made a schoold boy error and didnt tighten the nut formthe brake line to the caliper sufficently. Not knowing this i moved of the drive to test and the brakes were spongyso i kept pumping thinking it justed needed chance as it was new..

not so, o checked and it had leaked a load of fluid, so back n the drive and tightened it up..

This is where i need the help, there are doesnt appear to be anyleaks, i have took the wheel of three times now and no sign of any fresh brake fluid but its still the same, spongy and wont stop unless i pump them and then it works for a second..

What could be the problem? have i got air in there and if so how do i fix?

Can anybody help please?

if there is a bleed nipple on the abs block start there by putting a pipe (clear is best)on the nipple.the other end into a glass jar to catch the waste fluid.with someone in the car open the nipple and have then pump the prake peddle steadily up and down.you will hopfully see air bubbles in the pipe.when you see fluid with no bubbles hold brake down and close the nipple.keep the fluid resivoir topped up .repeat this with all 4 brakes and fingers crossed you have brakes again.cheers

no not needed to do all 4 as you never lost all the fluid!!!

once you have jacked up and removed your wheel get your wife,girlfriend,mum,dad,gran to get in the car attach a wee hose on to the bleed nipple and put the hose in a old bottle(just stops the fluid from going all over the drive)slacken off the bleed nipple and get the person in the car to pump the pedal 5 to 10 times(make sure you have enough brake fluid in the brake fluid bottle) on the LAST PUMP HOLD THE PEDAL DOWN AND TIGHTEN THE NIPPLE check pedal feel job done!!!

YOU MUST HAVE THE PEDAL HELD DOWN WHEN TIGHTENING UP THE NIPPLE!!!

or you could go halfords and buy a bleeding kit so you could do it yourself.

dont bother they are crap and you'll end up going to get a second person anyway!!!!

if there is a bleed nipple on the abs block start there by putting a pipe (clear is best)on the nipple.the other end into a glass jar to catch the waste fluid.with someone in the car open the nipple and have then pump the prake peddle steadily up and down.you will hopfully see air bubbles in the pipe.when you see fluid with no bubbles hold brake down and close the nipple.keep the fluid resivoir topped up .repeat this with all 4 brakes and fingers crossed you have brakes again.cheers

DONT TOUCH THE NIPPLE ON THE ABS BLOCK!!!!

why not touch the one one abs block

their is no need and in some occasions you might need the tester lexus and toyota use to make all the valves work inside the abs block to remove the air if you get it all wrong.

also he has not lost all the fluid so the air will only be around the bottom of the line that he left loose!!also not having lost all the fluid he will only need to bleed the one line not all 4!!!

just replaced asi's brake hoses for stainless ones and never needed to touch the nipple on the abs unit also blead one line at a time and after each bleed the pedal was mint!!!

LOC to the rescue!

so i still have loads of fluid left in, its halfway between max and min..

i only took one hose of but clamped it while it was off.. im guessing cause i didnt tighten it properly the air is in that line only... if i catch the fluid in a bottle can i just poor it back in? can i mix new fluid with old?

just need to find somebody to help me now as the GF is away for the weekend.. anybody near nottingham with some time free tomorrow? i'll buy lunch n a beer!!

LOC to the rescue!

so i still have loads of fluid left in, its halfway between max and min..

i only took one hose of but clamped it while it was off.. im guessing cause i didnt tighten it properly the air is in that line only... if i catch the fluid in a bottle can i just poor it back in? can i mix new fluid with old?

just need to find somebody to help me now as the GF is away for the weekend.. anybody near nottingham with some time free tomorrow? i'll buy lunch n a beer!!

no need just thought of away to do it yourself if you have a lever or something that will fit inbetween the pedal when pressed down and the seat cusion.

you pump the pedal 5 to 10 times then hold the pedal down put the lever between the pedal and the seat so the pedal stay's down then tighten the nipple!!!ta da job done.wouldn't recomend using the fluid you just removed but yes you can top up with new matey!!

how does that sound??you think you'll manage?

it looks like im sorted now and have somebody to come n give me a hand..

Thanks for all the offers of help guys...

you get the brakes on your car sorted? :mat:

it looks like im sorted now and have somebody to come n give me a hand..

Thanks for all the offers of help guys...

you get the brakes on your car sorted? :mat:

not yet, aaron couldnt make it somy neighbour whos a mechanic for VW gave me a homemade kit with fluid in a sealed container and a pipe togo over the nipple. only needs one person so will try this afternoon..

im rewiring my ICE..got to get the priorities right!!

phew!!!

panic over! i didnt realise that a new caliper needs to be bled and thats what my problem was! all sorted and didnt even need to take the wheel off, full lock and can get in behind the wheel..

so thats new tyres all round, new front discs n pads,new caliper and a trip to wim booked in for tuesday..

Also finished rewiring the Battery and redoing the big three as wasnt happy with em.

I went for a quick test drive without the front part of the airbox on and it sounded sweet!!

phew!!!

panic over! i didnt realise that a new caliper needs to be bled and thats what my problem was! all sorted and didnt even need to take the wheel off, full lock and can get in behind the wheel..

so thats new tyres all round, new front discs n pads,new caliper and a trip to wim booked in for tuesday..

Also finished rewiring the battery and redoing the big three as wasnt happy with em.

I went for a quick test drive without the front part of the airbox on and it sounded sweet!!

good stuff mate but come on you didn't know it had to be bled????

that would be like me fitting a new sub box without the subs and wondering why it wasn't goin boom boom boom..........

just pulling your leg mate just glad you got it sorted!!

phew!!!

Also finished rewiring the battery and redoing the big three as wasnt happy with em.

that would be like me fitting a new sub box without the subs and wondering why it wasn't goin boom boom boom..........

lol..

didnt even think about it tbh.. im sure i didnt bleed last time i fitted one or i would have known how to do it!!

maybe itt should be in the workshop section 'how to change a caliper' as it seems to be common on this car now..

phew!!!

lol..

didnt even think about it tbh.. im sure i didnt bleed last time i fitted one or i would have known how to do it!!

maybe itt should be in the workshop section 'how to change a caliper' as it seems to be common on this car now..

ok i'll do a write up on how.matey.