Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc Pulley Screws Snapped.

The problem I see is Asi says that they are 0.5inch long which is 1.27cm. Not knowing how fine the tolerances are i'm not sure those 10mm ones will do as they could be too short. But then the next step is 15mm and they could be too long. But at that price I might as well buy both lol. Hopefully going to get WIM to look at this when I go and get my front shocks done in a week or so.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I see is Asi says that they are 0.5inch long which is 1.27cm. Not knowing how fine the tolerances are i'm not sure those 10mm ones will do as they could be too short. But then the next step is 15mm and they could be too long.

Sounds like Rob used some pretty short ones though :

for replacements i have no ida what others used as i replaced mine with 6,25mm versions.

I've just checked an M3 screw against the screws i took out and it is too small. IIRC Rob you mentioned in your supercharger overhaul topic that your old ones were M4 which would seem more like it. Is that right?

I think i'm just going to buy a selection from that site and give it a go.

Removed the SC belt last night, set the FCD to 12 and reset the ECU = No power. Same torque as normal (NA) @ around 2.5krpm but then no more torque all the way up. Might have to refit airbox as well.

I've just checked an M3 screw against the screws i took out and it is too small. IIRC Rob you mentioned in your supercharger overhaul topic that your old ones were M4 which would seem more like it. Is that right?

Rob will know for sure of course, but looking at his other thread I think he drilled out the holes to make them bigger for his new screws.

Ok so today i though I would pull apart the SC clutch assembly. Having problems removing the central bolt I reattached the SC belt - plus this will give me my Torque back lol.

30052009182.jpg

As you can see - all 3 screws have snapped and it looks very similar to robs when his did the same. On top of the pulley are on the left the central bolt, in the centre one of the snapped bolts and on the right an M3 bolt: which is obviously too small.

I also received the new bolts today (after I had taken the photos) and think that it is M4 x 120mm that will be the right fit. My only concern is that the holes on the cover and clutch plate are slightly larger than M5 and therefore with will slam against M4s each time the SC fires up and may be why the screws have snapped. Took some other pictures:

How the clutch system fits together:

30052009179.jpg

Clutch Plate & Cover:

30052009180.jpg

My real problem is how to get those snapped screws out seeing as I found it hard enought just taking out the central bolt lol.

I think you're going to have to take the charger off to get the remains of the screws out. Or otherwise find some sort of way of clamping in place the pulley wheel.

Screw extractor or drilling out are probably the only practical options. I found that drilling out a snapped bolt was a lot easier than I expect *once* I got some decent (sharp) drill bits for the job.

Anybody know a good place in South London they could recommend doing this for me? Had my Dad have a look to see if he could give me a hand and just got a "Woah no way!" lol.

Anybody know a good place in South London they could recommend doing this for me? Had my Dad have a look to see if he could give me a hand and just got a "Woah no way!" lol.

its a shame you live so far away from me mate, we could sort that in a few hrs mate :duh:

Asi I think you need to buy the M4 x 12mm bolts here -

Philips Head - but they have lots of head types available.

The problem is that I'm not sure I'm confident that I can drill them out properly without causing a complete mess lol.

Guys, I'm quite happy to help edeath out here, given that I drilled out a stuck bolt previously from my engine compartment, so I now know it's pretty easy given suitable drill bits (it was impossible using the chocolate-strength drill bits that I started with !).

However, do you think it'll be similarly straightforward ? Is it easy enough to remove the pulley so that we can clamp it somewhere and drill it ?

Guys, I'm quite happy to help edeath out here, given that I drilled out a stuck bolt previously from my engine compartment, so I now know it's pretty easy given suitable drill bits (it was impossible using the chocolate-strength drill bits that I started with !).

However, do you think it'll be similarly straightforward ? Is it easy enough to remove the pulley so that we can clamp it somewhere and drill it ?

Shudnt be too hard i guess.... i just took mine apart and wasnt too difficult! Just need a vice or something to clamp it with while you drill...

Tom.

Right a quick update.

Visited WIM yesterday for some new front shocks and a Geo checkup and at the same time asked the other Tont whether he would be able to anything about it. His response was to confirm to me that it is going to need a pillar drill and ideally wants boring out to a larger size. He also recommended I take it to an engineering company - something I kind of knew would be the case but was trying to avoid.

He has recommended me a company near WIM - but i'm going to try and find a place closer to home. Thanks Steve for the offer of assistance and everyone who offered advice. I'll keep peeps updated with costs and the like for future ref.

Ed

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links