Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I have the later shape rx300 and seem to keep warping the front discs. does anyone know of an uprated drilled and vented version or if larger lexus discs offer other models may fit, is-f discs would be great! lexus rx discs are clearly not good enough for fast road driving.

Thanks George

Never had any issues with the brakes on my RX. Ran only original, genuine Lexus (well Toyota) pads and discs - precise braking every time and good life. Are yours genuine parts mate?

No answer to your question I'm afraid but I agree with your comment about the brakes.

I had to change the front discs on my 2004 RX300 after only 38,000 miles.

Typical warping symptoms - shuddering through the steering wheel when braking from high speed.

Got much cheaper aftermarket parts (discs and brake pads) and no problem so far - but I've only done 42,000 now!

The idea that wheel nut torque makes a difference seems to me, er, a little hard to follow.

Simon.

Hi all,

I have the later shape rx300 and seem to keep warping the front discs. does anyone know of an uprated drilled and vented version or if larger lexus discs offer other models may fit, is-f discs would be great! lexus rx discs are clearly not good enough for fast road driving.

Thanks George

You won't believe the difference between stock rotors and pads, and some good quality cross-drilled rotors and ceramic pads...the high performance brakes are much better. I have experience with PowerStop rotors and pads, they are great. There are, of course, other fine manufacturers out there, like brembo. They are all pricey, but who wants cheap brakes?

Well our RX (MK II) had covered almost 60K on factory original discs when they fell due for renewal.

As for brake life, the front pads had been replaced at circa 34K and then again when I did the [front] discs. I decided to renew the rears at the same time as they had been on since new. Thanks to Lexus Woodford I was able to replace brakes with Lexus original parts.

The RX is known to be brake heavy - which is hardly surprising given how heavy it is - but to get that kind of life out of the brakes I would say is very good. So I don't see why the original parts would not be good enough.

The idea that wheel nut torque makes a difference seems to me, er, a little hard to follow.

Simon.

It is the biggest cause of disc warping on Toyota/Lexus models. Uneven tightness is the real problem rather than the exact torque. When the disc heats/cools and you have inconsistent tension on the bolt points around the disc, it will bend or warp.

Simon.

It is the biggest cause of disc warping on Toyota/Lexus models. Uneven tightness is the real problem rather than the exact torque. When the disc heats/cools and you have inconsistent tension on the bolt points around the disc, it will bend or warp.

Yup, I would whole heartedly agree with this, Lexus/Toyota seem very prone to this, I always re-do all wheel nuts if the car has been anywhere for wheel/tyre/brake work.

• 1 year later...

What is the spec for the torque, and is there a recommended tightening order? I just got the RX450h and want to do my own tire rotations and oil changes. This is my first real car. (hot wheels and public transit :D )

thanks in advance

Some good points, but another common reason for discs warping on the RX is due to not cleaning the hub of rust/debris prior to fitting a new disc. When I removed my last set of warped discs (put up with them for a few thousand miles), it was clear that the fitters hadn't cleaned away any old debris. The inner face of the disc had clear signs of where it had and frighteningly hadn't had contact with the hub, it may only be a minute gap but it's enough to cause warping and give a vibration through the steering wheel. I replaced my discs with exactly the same OEM type and pads and they were fine thereafter.

Hope this helps,

Jules.