Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The top idler pulley on my 1992 LS400, has suddenly become a bit rattly and so is due for imminent replacement. Can anyone recommend a good source and replacement, please? I am in the UK!

Secondly, is there need for replacement, in that a shorter belt modification could be advised?

Thanks

Hi,

I would imagine this is a dealer only part and I cannot find the part number on the database, mine squeels for around a minute in very cold weather then shuts up,been like this for 3 years and never got worse.

Unless the bearing has play in it you could try a squirt of wd40.

If I remember correctly there is a fair amount of dismantling to do to remove the idler in order to replace it.

Hi,

I would imagine this is a dealer only part and I cannot find the part number on the database, mine squeels for around a minute in very cold weather then shuts up,been like this for 3 years and never got worse.

Unless the bearing has play in it you could try a squirt of wd40.

If I remember correctly there is a fair amount of dismantling to do to remove the idler in order to replace it.

Yes, there looks like some small access issues here, but I'll have a better look and trial tomorrow.

I have seen after market replacements on US sites. Some here will know that I come from a Saab Background, and have serviced idler pulleys in the past on my vehicles, hence my raising the shorter belt by-psss option. I'd be more inclined to used silicon grease than WD40, TBH.

I can see that the bearings are not at their best at the moment. Is it a sealed unit, or serviceable, I wonder?

£35 for a top idle pulley(one nxt to water pump) from toyota, ive a 4ltr soarer (1992 and same engine as ur ls400)as well as my mk4 ls400 and had the same problem of noise, went to take it off and replace and fekn snapped bolt in engine now have to dismantle whole front of car to gain enough access to drill out, so be careful ive the part number some where but to late at night to go rackin about n wake everybody up lol

£35 for a top idle pulley(one nxt to water pump) from toyota, ive a 4ltr soarer (1992 and same engine as ur ls400)as well as my mk4 ls400 and had the same problem of noise, went to take it off and replace and fekn snapped bolt in engine now have to dismantle whole front of car to gain enough access to drill out, so be careful ive the part number some where but to late at night to go rackin about n wake everybody up lol

Thanks for that - seems about the right price. I was going to look through and see if Saab did an equivalent - couldn't think of something off the top of my head. There's an independent Lexus specailist in the area, so I'll go and introduce myself :)

Aftermarket replacements (e.g. ADL Blueprint) are available for the IS200's idler pulley, they may well do the same for LS400, I don't know, you coudl try asking at your local motor factors.

Thanks, Stevie - there's a goldmine of a little motor factors near me, they always have parts or can source for me - better than the major large chains!

Aftermarket replacements (e.g. ADL Blueprint) are available for the IS200's idler pulley, they may well do the same for LS400, I don't know, you coudl try asking at your local motor factors.

Thanks, Stevie - there's a goldmine of a little motor factors near me, they always have parts or can source for me - better than the major large chains!

Popped into the local factors. We looked up on their part books, trawled their computer, and phoned a few people - seems this is a Lexus (Toyota) part only. will look into next week - I have to pick some ordered goods from the factors up on monday, anyway, and dealership is not very far away - roadworks and bridge closures permitting.