Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mintex Front Discs Pads And Rear Peds Fitted Today

Mr. Stig

Hi All!

I've been reading here how to change the front discs and pads on IS200 cars

Me and my mate did the job today. I think we did it properly just like written in tis tread :

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=59206

After finishing the work I did a test drive braking easily.

As I was pushing the brake pedal I felt moderate vibration from the front.

The steering wheel was a bit shaking as well .

Is that because the pad and discs needs to be bedding in in the next few days or

miles?

I'm a bit worried about this now. Can You share your opinion if you used the

mintex or any other brakes , please.

I must admit when we placed the new discs on and fitted the new pads as I rotated

the disc was a bit of touching between in one point.

Thanks !

either your wheels are not tight or you have done somthing wrong..............i'd advise you strip and check everything ie bolts for tightness and make sure your slides are free!if alls ok sent the disks back as they are faulty.

ps the reason asi's pads are squeeking is due to the compound of the pad!!!!(racing pads)not bad fitting like it sounds!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry Ormi forgot to put that at the end of the post the reson behind the squeeking but they all fine now so all good mate.

good stuff matey!!

I'd agree with Ormi......When I did the front discs I made sure that the discs were seated correctly by putting the wheel nuts on the hub without the wheel, this allowed the discs to be pushed back flat against the hub. Now having said that, are you sure that once you took the old discs off that the hub was clean/free from any bits of rust/grit/etc before you put the new discs back on?

On completion my discs ran smooth.

Keith

I'd agree with Ormi......When I did the front discs I made sure that the discs were seated correctly by putting the wheel nuts on the hub without the wheel, this allowed the discs to be pushed back flat against the hub. Now having said that, are you sure that once you took the old discs off that the hub was clean/free from any bits of rust/grit/etc before you put the new discs back on?

Keith

Yes I cleaned them properly with a small wire brush, gave a bit rust remover, and added a very thin coat off copper grease on the hubs .

When we placed the new discs on they were spot on.

I phoned a Kwik Fit guy today and he said probably will bedding in in a next 200 miles.

In the afternoon I popped in to another one where the shop boss said : my discs must be warped , need new ones :tsktsk:

I don't know if it is a good idea to give the car that 200 miles to see if goes well or not .

2 weeks ago I painted the centers and around the edges with 2 coats smooth black hammerite just lie you did.

Lexus wanted £140 for the pair of front discs and £55 for the pads plus labour minus LOC Gold discount.

Thanks for the answers !

Keith

Yes I cleaned them properly with a small wire brush, gave a bit rust remover, and added a very thin coat off copper grease on the hubs .

When we placed the new discs on they were spot on.

I phoned a Kwik Fit guy today and he said probably will bedding in in a next 200 miles.

In the afternoon I popped in to another one where the shop boss said : my discs must be warped , need new ones :tsktsk:

I don't know if it is a good idea to give the car that 200 miles to see if goes well or not .

2 weeks ago I painted the centers and around the edges with 2 coats smooth black hammerite just lie you did.

Lexus wanted £140 for the pair of front discs and £55 for the pads plus labour minus LOC Gold discount.

Thanks for the answers !

your taking KWIK FITS WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!??????they do NOT need bedding in!!a bedding milage will not cure your problem bedding in means rubbing the pads in not removing warps!!i've fitted lots of brakes in my time(see my sig)

in my opinion their is something wrong with them and i'd get them checked out asap!!!!!!

I just got back from Toyota . They checked all my brakes and everything was fitted

properly. The problem is : one of the discs is faulty . They tested on the Brake Test machine

and they let me see it. On the driver side the meter showed abnormal numbers.

I tried to contact the eBay seller on the phone but the number witch was on the listing ,don't exists.

I dropped him an email let see what will he do.

Toyota said they can change the 2 front discs for £220 if I can't sorted this out . They also said I can

keep on the mintex pads , because they has not been damaged.

Sorry to hear that mate, hate to think that the seller knew the disc was warped....Was there a seal on the box? Mine came in proper Mintex boxes and the discs were wrapped in plastic bags due to them having oil on them to stop any rust in transit.

However, at least you know it;s not your fault, and that you did nothing wrong.

Hope you can get it sorted soon mate.

Keith

were they second hand?if they're not too bad you could get them skim'd matey will still cost you money and i know you shouldnt have too but it looks like the boy has bunked mate.

Sorry to hear that mate, hate to think that the seller knew the disc was warped....Was there a seal on the box? Mine came in proper Mintex boxes and the discs were wrapped in plastic bags due to them having oil on them to stop any rust in transit.

However, at least you know it;s not your fault, and that you did nothing wrong.

Hope you can get it sorted soon mate.

Keith

Yes it was a proper Mintex box, discs wrapped in plastic , oil on them ......same .

I bought it from here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260121808882

were they second hand?if they're not too bad you could get them skim'd matey will still cost you money and i know you shouldnt have too but it looks like the boy has bunked mate.

Brand new ones . Yes, they are not too bad , but I will go for 2 new original discs at Toyota on tuesday afternoon (£220). They offered for me to skimming the discs , but as they not Toyota or Lex parts they can not give me guarantee after. (skimming cost £100)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260121808882

They looked proper car parts dealers to me. :crybaby:

Regards Akos

Sounds like a real bummer. Interesting story though. I am thinking that at somepoint soon will have to do all my discs and pads and was gonna get mintex ones like you have.

But now thinking maybe that selling is no good? Keep us updated on how that goes.

I would just get new discs from Lexus, keep the pads as they are ok.

BTW - for the front pads, do the mintex ones have the little holes drilled in the sides where the spring clips go?

but I will go for 2 new original discs at Toyota on tuesday afternoon (£220).

Try www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk for discs/pads.

I bought a set of OEM front discs/pads from them last December for £180. My local Lexus dealer wanted £250 for a set of discs and pads. Lexuspartsdirect.co.uk are run by Lexus Swindon, so you will be getting OEM parts- they also do free next day delivery.

Good news !!! I've been contacted by the seller today!!!

He dropped me an email with a phone number so

tomorrow I'll give him a call. BUT my car has a

discs change tomorrow afternoon at Toyota.

I'll keep You guys updated .

Regards Akos

Anyone able to confirm this?

For the front pads, do the mintex ones have the little holes drilled in the sides where the spring clips go?

Plus, did you get money back from seller?