Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Erroe Code....

I got an Error code on my A/C unit yesterday. :(

Where the out side Temp gauge is, it read " -E " and nothing was working. The only thing that was working was the Hazzard light switch.

I checked all the fuses, and nothing was worng, so i pulled apart the whole centre consol, only to find that there is nothing behind it.

When i plugged every thing back in, it took a very long time, but the fans started up again, then then the A/C finally kicked in.

Now the weather is starting to get warm having no ventilation at all is going to be a bit of a problem....:lol:

I've had a little look around, but can find any posts.

Anyone know of this sort of thing happening before, or what could be causing it ? :crybaby:

No, I've not taken the dash out aprt from yesterday when it wasn't working and i tried to see if there was a problem behind it.

And even when i took it apart the connectors, they looked fine.

I went out in the car again today, and it wasn't working again. I switched the car on and off serveral times, and eventually it came back to life, but again only after a long time.

So no one else has had this problem then ?

:(

It does sound very odd.

It may look a bit complicated, but it could be worth going through the troubleshooting procedure detailed here (for very early cars) or here (for post-2000 cars). You'll need a multimeter for that, and you need to remove the a/c control unit and it will test both the data from the car that is being fed into the a/c unit, and the workings of the a/c control unit itself.

Ok so after a week of this problem being intermittent, usually deciding not to work on very hot days <_< i thought i would attack it again over the weekend.

(sorry for poor pics...they are from the phone !)

Sunday, I woke up to the usual

01062009014.jpg

(please note "-E" where the temp is ment to be, and also not light on the Vent control)

After ripping every thing out again, i split the controlls apart to have a look inside.

31052009009.jpg

31052009010.jpg

After looking at and testing possible problems, I found nothing wrong. I plugged the controls back in only to find the :tsktsk: thing is working again.

(if you can, please note the temp gauge is now reading, and the light on the vent control)

31052009012.jpg

So I put every thing back togther again, and it was still working

31052009013.jpg

But.........

This morning....the controls weren't working again :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I am so fed up with this, as i have to drive around with no Ventilation in the car, and driving on the motorway with windows down is not really ideal.

Steviewevie - Do you have a diagram, or know where i could find one, to see what controls the A/C and fan controls ? I have check the fuses in foot wells and there are no problems with them.

I have seen a Control panel on E Bay up for grabs, but i'm not convinced that the problem is the control panel.

Unless someone knows I’m wrong and suggests I should get the replacement panel and give that ago.

:(

Does this only seem to happen overnight/in the morning ? Or does it sometimes happen whilst your driving ? Just wondering if it could be temperature-related.

It happens when i first start the car. It's never stopped working while i've been ddrivivng. But it does choose stop working on hot days.

umm, could be the actual sensor thats at fault?

I did wonder if it could be the external temperature sensor, but I wouldn't have expected that to totally stop the whole a/c working. The sensor is behind the bumper at the front of the car, and you can test it as detailed here.

Actually, now you guys mention it, the previous owner did say he drove into the back of a van, and got a local body shop to repair the damage. Maybe that is partly to blame?

It happens when i first start the car. It's never stopped working while i've been ddrivivng. But it does choose stop working on hot days.

Every time you start the car ? e.g. if you stop it and start it in the middle of a journey ? Or is it, say, just in the mornings ? Does it do it if you start it in the hotter part of the day ?

Actually, now you guys mention it, the previous owner did say he drove into the back of a van, and got a local body shop to repair the damage. Maybe that is partly to blame?

Hmm, now that's interesting, and does make the external temperature sensor even more worth of investigation.

Ok, so it was working all day today, and i was driving around quite a bit this afternoon.

So far it has not switched on, and then later in the day stop working.

So far the problem seems to come about when the car has been sitting over night or over the weekend. But just like in the photos above, once it starts working again, it will stay working for the rest of the day, untill i finish using the car.

The previous owner told me the accident was in Jan 08, and i have the receipts of repairs some where showing this. So for over a year this problem has not happened.

Dose any one know if removing the bumper is any job to do at home? or is this a job for Lexus?

I haven't done it myself (but I need to do it at some point to check out my non-working headlamp washers !) but I don't think it's that hard. It's slightly easier if you have two people just so you've got an extra pair of hands, and to help avoid scratching the bumper as you take it off - make sure you put it down on a surface that's going to be kind to it.

No, you certainly don't need to take it to Lexus for that.

Having said all that, in the link I posted up about the temperature sensor, it doesn't actually say you need to take the bumper off, so if you jack the front of the car up (or put it on ramps), it may well be that you can get to the sensor from there.

Cool, i'll have a look some point today and see if i can spot it.

Really sorry to ask again...but you seem really good at finding this kind of info, but if the Temp sensor has gone, do you know what the product code is, so i can order a new one ?

Many thanks though !!!!