Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've been considering changing from my 250SE-L to a 450h for a while now.

I've seen several SE and SE-L that look interesting, but I'm having difficulty making a final choice.

They are between 15k and 45K miles and differ by 18 months in age.

Considering the 5 year warrentee limit on the batteries; and the good reputation of Lexus for reliability, I think the high mileage younger car option is probably the best choice.

However this probably means buying a car that's ex-lease and been abused and roughly treated by a business user, as opposed to a low mileage social and domestic used car.

What are your thoughts on this? Which way would you go?

I'd go for the lower mileage models as it helps when you need to sell on. However, if you are in it for keeps then this does not matter.

When I go looking at different cars of the same model, I don't know why, but I do get a sense (a gut feeling) for which has been looked after the best just by going through the history/documentation and having a nosey all over each (an accumulation of a lot of aspects for each car builds a picture in your mind). No doubt, you will be the same.

Mine had done 40k in two years but I got it at a great price from a Lexus dealer.

I work on the principle that if it's done 20k per year it's probably on motorways - just cruising and over large distances. Also, it's a CVT box so no thrashing it through the gears - the computers sort it out so you can't really thrash it....or that's my theory.

Batteries and motor - I had a Prius for 4.5 years prior to the GS and subscribe to several "anorak" Prius sites. Not one of them has ever reported a knackerd Traction Battery. The display shows them as being full, empty or somewhere in between but the reality is that the batteries are kept in a charge range and never get anywhere near fully charged or discharged. The display just shows where you are within the designed charge range. As I understand it the Battery condition is optimised by the computers/software. My Prius had done over 60k when I traded it in an never a problem with the Traction Battery.

I got a full service history and a year left on the warranty and took out a 3rd party 2 year extended warranty through the dealer.

Remember, this is a 3.5 litre hybrid, not a lousy 2 litre BMW 3 series - it's designed to be used and to last.

Anyhow, it's your money, do what you think is right ;-)

Enjoy

Malc

Nothing wrong with high mileage.....provided the car has FLSH and looks to have been well looked after generally.