Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt / Service Advice

Looking for advice with regard to my MK IV DHP which is approaching 100K miles and is due for a service and also a timing belt change I believe.

Can anyone recommend either a Lexus dealer in the West Sussex area for the work, Brighton Guildford or Croydon seem nearest, or should I use an independent for the belt and dealer for the service. Any one used any of these for service/work ?

I last had it serviced at Lexus Bromley who have now moved to Sidcup and is not as convenient to get to.

If the belt has already been changed , where will a record of this be kept ? I can see no record in the service log, in addition the vehicle has had several registartion numbers,. Does Lexus keep central computerised records for each vehicle and if so hpow can I get service hsitory from them.

I was quoted 3 hours labour by my local garage for a belt, is this right

Thanks in advance.

Hi cambelt service is due at 67000 miles, lexus do keep computer records just give them your chasis number, If the belt was done by lexus there should be a sticker under the bonnet stating so. 3 hours labour charge is cheap,buy an original belt & idlers, best to change the water pump also while its all off. If you are lucky its all been done, if not its well over due.

good luck Mark

Hi cambelt service is due at 67000 miles, lexus do keep computer records just give them your chasis number, If the belt was done by lexus there should be a sticker under the bonnet stating so. 3 hours labour charge is cheap,buy an original belt & idlers, best to change the water pump also while its all off. If you are lucky its all been done, if not its well over due.

good luck Mark

Is there a time period in addition to miles done?

I believe it is 63,000 miles or 6 years whichever comes 1st.

My local garage made the same mistake on the fitting time and quoted 3 hours also ( referenced from Autodata) They soon realised that this was very optomistic and they kept the car overnight however stuck to the labour quote of £100.00.

If they have quoted 3 hours get the cost in writing 1st, buy the belt kit/waterpump yourself and sit back and relax whilst someone else takes the strain.

The cambelt is the only job I wouldn't fancy doing myself, the starter motor replacement is my ultimate limit when it comes to mechanical engineering skills and this reaches the maximum backpain threshold.

Any Lexus dealer should be able to check the cars service history from the VIN.

My local garage made the same mistake on the fitting time and quoted 3 hours also ( referenced from Autodata) They soon realised that this was very optomistic and they kept the car overnight however stuck to the labour quote of £100.00.

If they have quoted 3 hours get the cost in writing 1st, buy the belt kit/waterpump yourself and sit back and relax whilst someone else takes the strain.

The cambelt is the only job I wouldn't fancy doing myself, the starter motor replacement is my ultimate limit when it comes to mechanical engineering skills and this reaches the maximum backpain threshold.

Hi guys, I believe that the cambelt change is at 63k as you said but max interval is 10 years. The belts commonly last 100k miles if neglected and I did read somewhere that the failure of the belt is @150k miles ................. but don't ever let it get to that position please !

3 hours is possibly the time spent with a Lexus dealer experienced in changing the belt BUT for anyone else it really is just about an all day job. Comparative costs are equivalent in that 3 hrs at a main dealer might cost you the same as an all day job with a " normal " priced garage.

Getting the quote from a lexus dealer will require you to have a stiff whiskey and a comfy armchair to collapse into methinks.

I did mine few weeks ago. I think I could crack it in 3 hours now. I would think the MK4 is a bit less time consuming than the earlier models due to not having to mess about with Distributors.

Feel free to shoot me down though.

Despite what it tells you, its possible with the Radiator in place. Hardest and fiddliest part was undoing the the engine fan.

Steve2006, if you can do the starter you can do the cambelt!

I found it painfully slow,'cos of all the dismantling to get to it, just remember to loosen the

crank nut before you get too far into it!

Steve2006, if you can do the starter you can do the cambelt!

I found it painfully slow,'cos of all the dismantling to get to it, just remember to loosen the

crank nut before you get too far into it!

Hi Roy,

Too late I had it done by the local garage about 4 months ago (at £100.00 labour I couldn't compete or mess it up) I don't know if the UK spec is the same but mine has an oil powered cooling fan making it even harder apparently.

I was in two minds about getting them to do the starter for around the same price ( labour only) but wanted more beers on the up and coming holiday in Rhodes ( £100.00=110.00 Euros=25 Beers! :D ( holidays are the only time I can drink as the other half can't drive and I aint driving over there!) A bad back for 2 days was worth the saving.

I do all my routine maintainance in general,brakes,plugs,plug leads, filters,fitted an aftermarket stereo and the supercharger ( fib) even bought some touch up paint the other day for the stone chips.

As the movie title says the cambelt was a "Bridge too Far"

Cheers,

Steve

Total for Lexus to do the belt on my 96/7 63,000 service miles inc. wash, oil, filter, drain plug, timing belt, plugs, brake fluid and coolant replace. £713.00

service and belt £400 + £42.13. plus VAT.

Total for Lexus to do the belt on my 96/7 63,000 service miles inc. wash, oil, filter, drain plug, timing belt, plugs, brake fluid and coolant replace. £713.00

Thanks for that doesn't seem too bad a price, I 'll be relying on the car for a lot of high mileage soon so seems best bet to let the "Experts" do it. I'll call for an estimate ,

Hi

That does seem a lot less that I was quoted by Lexus. Did they change the idler pullies and water pump at the same time? If not did they quote for them as I think my local Lexus could do with a little help in helping me with my 'financial management'!

Kindest regards,

David

Thanks did just that, even though seems car has had 3 registration numbers in it's history.

Found out timing belt was done at 67320 miles late 2004, so at 97,000 odd miles it is not due to be changed again yet.